Guns guns guns

scrobo

Petty Officer 1st Class
I just got me a shotgun and I was looking for some information.

1) Any Canadians out there in Ontario know what I need in total? From what I can tell I need to take a Firearms Safety Course that will bleed me for $150 and a Possession licence? I believe so that I can register the gun with the government so they know where it is when they come to take it away :) Is this all I need to go shooting/hunting etc? Or do I still need to get some sort of FAC?

2) I'm trying to find info on it. It's a soviet era Baikal IZH-18M shotgun. 28.5" barrel, 12ga 2.75" and it weighs 2.65kg (5.85lbs). It has an ejector in it. I'm looking for value of weapon in mint condition etc. I can't tell a year but it's before 91 since it's "Made in USSR". (I believe they fell in 91).

3) Anyone else have one of these? Or from the same manufacturer?

Nice thing is I know a few Russian letters now :) Anyways... just thought I would shoot some questions out at y'all since iBoats has been a total wealth of information on anything I ask :)

Coors

Captain
Re: Guns guns guns

Who let the dogs out..? Canada
Register a shotgun? Not good.
(Remainder of "Government" thread deleted, due to new I Boat Gov rules)

I might pay for the above statement; but looks like a nice shotgun, made when quality mattered.

Bigprairie1

Commander

Scrobo
You pretty much have it covered. One other thing, once you have your FAC and the safety course....you'll need to let them know when/where you are transporting it. You can let them know this on line.
This is all mostly a 'tracking' excercise...unfortunately. My biggest fear is that they (our Cdn gubmint) will render some kind of per firearm tax on ownership. This will have me selling out south. Although I would fight (on some level) to keep my winchester collection.
I'm ok with most of the regulation...but I hate the idea of the possible tax bit angle.
BP

scrobo

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wow. The second link was great.

I've yet to pop a few off with it due to my country's anal retentive stance on firearms. But it'll come soon enough. We go up north every sumer and I have a friend up there with lots of property to play on.

Is the FAC the Ontario safety course on guns? Or is it something entirely different that will cost me more money? I can't believe they need to know where it is at all times. It bothers me because there are more guns in Canada per capita than in the US (From what I've read). Canada is a gun loving country too. While I feel the automatic weapon/ assault rifle ban is fairly harmless to the average gun owner I feel shotguns, rifles and handguns should be under less scrutiny by our "Conservative" fellows in Ottawa. :) Oh well. I will jump through their hoops.

I took the gun with a case and trigger lock for $100 credit towards a car I sold. It's had extremely little use as the owner never had a chance to use it. So since it was made he figures less than 20 shots out of it. I'm looking forward to buying some pigeons and heading up north for some practise shooting.

My grandpa had a fwe guns and we'd shoot up north when we went up. I remember we had a .22 Canuck long rifle that I used. We had a huge target area in the woods behind the cottage. My grandpa taught me how to shoot. He also had a 30 30 and rifle made by Beretta but I can;t remember what it was exactly. There was an old luger in the house he got in the war I think. One of my uncles must have taken it when he went into a nursing home.

This should be fun I guess. I want my wife to learn to shoot it but she'd prefer something smaller.

Women....

Bigprairie1

Commander

Scrobo
The FAC is the (Federal) 'Firearms Acquisition Certificate'...which is your final license/registration you will receive after taking the firearms safety course. That is provincial and that can be sourced through the local police dept. or the RCMP. They will give you a number/website to contact.
When you have completed all this hoop jumping you will receive an (F.A.C) I.D card...similar to a drivers license with your photo on it and you would/will have to produce that when you go to buy or use your firearms.
Its interesting that the guy gave you a gun as a down payment. Normally you are not allowed to give/transfer any firearms to anybody (Canadians) without them showing you their FAC. If you are in your local fishing/hunting store they probably have the basis of that Federal policy listed up on the wall somewhere. No FAC....no firearm. On the flip side...if you register a gun in your name....you become liable for it on basic levels so be careful who you loan it to or where you store it. That is why you want any potential buyer to transfer it to their ownership via the FAC.
It might be that this particular gun was never registered a few years back during that whole Registry debacle. I don't think this is a big problem but you will have to register it now if you want to use it.....at least legally.
If'n you don't register it....no biggy I suppose. However they will just take it if they see it or find it, and there might be a fine involved.
I am in the midst of getting mine renewed (unfortunately)....its the usual paperwork pain in the axx.
BP

scrobo

Petty Officer 1st Class

He did not register it. He wasn't going to register it I think. He won't even wear his seatbelt because the government mandates it. lol.

I'm trying to contact the club doing the Firearms Safety Course. After that I am sending in my PAl forms and then I will register the gun.

I don;t plan on loaning anything to anyone for sure. It's mine. I'm greedy. I don;t loan my boat I don't loan my truck and I won't loan my gun. You never know what is going to happen to your stuff when it's in someone elses possession.

On a side note... is there anything I should look for on this gun to concern me? I mean along the lines of me firing it and it blowing my face off... I trust the fellow about only firing it a certain amount since he bought it new but it's sat for a good number of years. Anything to be concerned of? Everything seems tight.

Bigprairie1

Commander

...once you have done the dance of the registry and get your FAC stuff...take it to a legitamite gunsmith. He'll check it out for a couple of bucks and make sure it's good to go for ya'.
BP

scrobo

Petty Officer 1st Class

lol.

i was told to close the chamber on a cigarette paper. If te paper sticks the gun is safe :)

If it falls out I'll burn my eyebrows off.