Gun Safe

alldodge

Staff member
Have been looking for a larger gun safe for a while and could have had one already but, I'm cheap.

I don't need a high class wiz bang that will live thru fire and deep sea dunks. Looking for one like the TSC model Cannon 46 (59Hx42Wx22D). I don't have that many but the ones I do have also have scopes (I do not have any AR's). Then also need it to hold the ammo.

Looking on FB market place and everyone selling a safe want's more then I can buy new from TSC. Even when I ask them and send link to TSC they do not offer a low price or even a explanation.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Hard to beat the TSC prices for the quality...my only recommendation is to stay away from the electronic push button locks. I highly recommend the dial type lock only. A very good friend is a locksmith and stated, "give me a nine volt battery and two pieces of wire and I can open an electric lock in 15 seconds or less.".

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
One of mine is a Cannon from TSC and they are always putting them on sale...... The true key regardless if you buy a safe or a security cabinet is to BOLT IT DOWN at a minimum. That will help with it being theft resistant.
AND
Remember the enemy - MOISTURE so, keep something in the safe to absorb moisture and keep it checked. ;)

topgun3690

Ensign
Lots of vids on youtube where they attack safes....first thing they do is push it over onto it's back, then use 6 foot pry bars on it. If your safe is properly bolted down, and in a confined area like a closet, or in a corner of a room, they will not be able to do that. Bottom line.....the value of the contents put inside the safe determines the quality ($$$$) to spend on a safe.

tphoyt

Ensign
Might be worth calling a local pawn shop or even a few locksmiths to see if they have any used ones.

aspeck

Staff member
Agree with airshot and Bob ... no digital lock and bolt it down. Of course the firefighter in me is always concerned about the fire rating, but that is just me.

alldodge

Staff member
Thanks guys, my thought is to have a place to keep kids or folks that just want to look what's behind the door out of. If someone breaks in when I'm not here, oh well, it is what it is.

I would prefer a combo lock (have one on my tiny sentry 15 safe) but getting one increases the cost quite a bit. Digital is cheap

FLATHEAD

Commander
The cannons aren’t bad for the money and should be adequate for what you’re looking for.
The key to buying any gun safe is to buy one a lot bigger than you think you need.

airshot

Rear Admiral
I get better insurance rates having a good gun safe, not only for guns but keeping valuables in general. Bolt it down or bolt thru the back so it can't be tipped.

aspeck

Staff member
Thanks guys, my thought is to have a place to keep kids or folks that just want to look what's behind the door out of. If someone breaks in when I'm not here, oh well, it is what it is.

I would prefer a combo lock (have one on my tiny sentry 15 safe) but getting one increases the cost quite a bit. Digital is cheap
The problem with the digital is when the key bad goes wonkers or the battery dies unexpectedly. Then getting in can be a pain unless there is a back-up key or lock release.

tphoyt

Ensign
A buddy of mine once told me he called a lock smith to open a digital safe and all he did was place a magnet in just the right place. I don’t how true that story is or if it was a special type of magnet but it wouldn’t surprise me if that all it takes.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
The problem with the digital is when the key bad goes wonkers or the battery dies unexpectedly. Then getting in can be a pain unless there is a back-up key or lock release.
Mine has a key...

alldodge

Staff member
Tractor supply sent an email , they have some on sale.
Thanks
They do have some on sale but nothing like when they really go down

Did think about it some more, and I can get by with a smaller safe. I have my little Sentry safe which can be used to just keep ammo, use the new for guns

flashback

Captain
Yep, I think the same, lock the guns and ammo but leave your favorite on the nightstand. I don't have youngsters, if I did the one on the nightstand would be hidden but close..