Gun Cabinets

gonfishn

Commander
Have A Question here for all you hunters out there....One of my Amish Craftsman Specializes in making Gun Cabinets...<br /><br />Is there a certain style that one is looking for? Type of Wood or stain? I am doing a search now on the different types that are available..<br /><br />He has told me that if he saw a pic for instance he can make it..<br /><br />He has told me that if your wanting cheap that he would have to refer you to odd lots or Walmart..lol...These folks are no different than us is certain ways..Believe me they make some awesome stuff..<br /><br />If ya have some ideas get me a web site so I can pass it on to him..<br />He is designing me a fishing pole cabinet and one for collectable lures now..

FLATHEAD

Captain
Re: Gun Cabinets

GF take a look at the new Ducks unlimited (holiday 2004) catalog, perhaps at their web site also. They have a Rustic barn wood 8 gun cabinet that looks really nice, way nicer than just a plain pine or oak. Not a big fan of wood gun cabinets I prefer a safe, but if I were looking for a wood one that would be one I would seriously consider.

Link

Rear Admiral

gonfishn <br /><br />As Big as you have space for. With many adjustable shelves for pistols, ammo, books etc.<br />I out grew mine in a year. <br /><br />This is a poor picture with no flash.<br />When we finish the bed rooms I'm going to replace it with a big one bolted in a closet.

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

Gun cabinets went out with the Ford Comet.<br /><br />Gun safes are the current method of storage.

gonfishn

Commander

Not wanting to bust your bubble here Bomar76 but many folks still have cabinets and pay big bucks for custom cabinets. I have seen some cherry gun cabinets go for 2 or 3 grand... Speaking of out dated things is that your boat? Kinda looks old and worn out to me..I was asking for advice and positive input not what you are throwing in the mix here..

tylerin

Commander

I have a safe myself, but if i was to have a cabinet (which I love to see dislayed) I would want it 1. lockable 2. something to protect someone from busting the glass and taking the guns like a chicken wired type glass or something like that.(just to keep the honest honest) Just kind of throwing out some ideas.

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by gonfishn:<br /> Not wanting to bust your bubble here Bomar76 but many folks still have cabinets and pay big bucks for custom cabinets. I have seen some cherry gun cabinets go for 2 or 3 grand... Speaking of out dated things is that your boat? Kinda looks old and worn out to me..I was asking for advice and positive input not what you are throwing in the mix here..
That WAS advice and input.<br />Just because it wasn't what you wanted to hear doesn't mean it is wrong.<br /><br />As for the rag on my boat...what a freaking loser comment that is :rolleyes:

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

Growing up we had a cabinet that was way to small, due to size it held the pretty guns but the real valuables were kept in the closet. IMO a cabnet is a fantastic way to display them. The cabinet must be appealing but since the eye is immediatly drawn to the contents more concern must be givven to how the guns sit in it. Since your market is not the least expensive method but more upscale be sure the weapons sit spaced and angled enoufgh to give good visability to the stock and engraving as well as a good overal profile. I know the amish are sparse on the modern conviences but if you can get them to allow a recesed area for lighting as well as a electrical rod used to control moisture I believe it would be an asset. Not much of a visual I know but hope this helps ya along.<br /><br />I yearn for the day I can once again display my weapons in the family room but till then they will be relinquished to the closet and there hardcases. besides my collection needs to grow a bit more and a few more antlers and hides on the wall wouldn't hurt the "ambiance" either.<br /><br />I think guns displayed in a nice cabinet make a fine statment.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Cabinet must be deep enough and tall enough to hold all guns. Many people have muzzle loaders now adays, and I have a Rem 700 Varmit that is too long to fit in my gun safe.<br /><br />Oak seems passe' and somewhat cheap, but is ok for a regular cabinet.<br /><br />Most "custom" or top end cabinets I have seen recently are being made out of cherry or walnut.

one more cast

Captain

A corner cabinet with a turntable. This way you could hold 12-14 or more guns in very little space. And it would look cool too IDEA UPDATE: motorize the turntable and have Lynard Skynard's Gimme back my bullets playing in the back ground. :D

aspeck

Staff member

GF, most gun collectors will keep their most valuable guns in a safe. As stated above, you will need to make provision for lighting and dehumidification. Also, avoid standard glass - you need something strong. As well as a strong lock and reinforced wood to prevent a sledge hammer from breaking it. Personally, I like my gun cabinet small - only display a few at a time. Any potential thief that can break into the gun cabinet can have a few of the cheap things and he will think he has them all.<br /><br />Adjustable shelving, lots of misc. storage, and all drawers and shelves lockable are a plus.<br /><br />Hey, I like OMC's idea. I would think seriously about one like that if saw it, would look great in my great room, finished in a dark walnut.

Skiuseme

Chief Petty Officer

Here is a really bad picture of mine that a friend made 8 years ago. <br /><br />
f65e6860.jpg.thumb.jpg
<br /><br /><br />Sorry for the bad image size maybe someone could help me.

Butch Ammon

Petty Officer 1st Class

My dad never had a gun cabinet when I was kid. He had a gun rack and the old bolt action 12GA shotgun was in the top rack, and his nice .308 Winchester was in the lower rack.<br /><br />Nowadays, I don't think you could openly display your firearms like that in your own house... You just never know... :( <br /><br />Butch A.

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

Jeff, one more consideration would be a lock. Even if it is a simple lock the cabinet should be lockable for liability reason. Should a family member "borrow" a weapon and commit a crime the owner could be held liable for making the weapon available. The lock releases the owner from liability because a crime was committed in obtaining the weapon. A very sad but true view held by the courts in our nation.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

GF, whatever cab u thinkin about, u can always<br />add security. MY cuz has a big/open glass cab.,<br />but has v. good security...<br />few small holes in back to allow steel cable<br />around triggers etc.

oddjob

Commander

I like OMC's idea...Call it the "Turret".<br /><br />Growing up my old man had a kentucky rifle in the corner of nearly every room. I thought they were beautiful. Now I have a few he gave me but I cant set them out anymore, due to the laws, others kids, vendors or service folks casing for their other jobs I have kept them locked away. Well, now I'm missing them cause eyeing them daily is part of the joy of owning them.<br /><br />I think I'll just trigger lock them all and get them back out of the closet. The corner turret would be perfect for me.<br /><br />edit: good point on the case for theft neumans.

Link

Rear Admiral

gonfishn<br />Lot of good ideas here<br />This is not as good as a fireproof safe but<br />Why not the best of both worlds<br /><br />I searched on the web last night to see if I could find one premade like this but found none.<br />I did however find all the locking hardware heavy duty safe hinges etc<br /><br />After reading OMCs post today I printed out a picture of a corner gun cabinet And since I was already heading to a friends shop I showed it to him and asked if could build one out of 1/4 plate steel.<br />He said sure but he would want to talk to the cabinet maker first to go over the details.<br /><br />He said he would also have the shatter proof glass already in the doors before handing it over to the cabinet maker.<br /><br />Then have your friend do the outside and inside with the wood of your choice.<br /><br />my .02 worth

Stumpys

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just for Sh*ts and giggles, I made my own because I love to work with wood (when I have time). My pops taught me how to do anything with wood years ago, and I just did it.<br /><br />I came up with my own design, went to Westlakes and bought the glass, and I took a picture of a deer off the web and printed it on some contact paper, and stuck it to the glass. After cutting out all what I wanted to be displayed on the glass, I used etching compound that I got from Hobby Lobby. The cabinet was just made out of cheap pine at the time, but it still turned out nice.<br /><br />Design what ever you want, and keep in mind how many guns you want in it, or may purchase later. I have already out grown mine! Wish I had built a bigger one, but I never thought about later.<br /><br />My .02 worth also....

gonfishn

Commander

Thats what I was looking for guys some ideas with some flavor...If you have a picture or a design on paper you can email it to me..<br /><br />Before I go on I want to apoligize to Bomar76 for the cheap shot I sent his way the other day..no excuse for that..I regretted it as soon as I hit the send button..Had spent six tiring hours with the investers that day and and my nerves were shot..<br /><br />Do a search on gun cabinets..If you give me the style you want and measurements my Amish friend can do it all and alot less then what you see on the web..You can choose what type of wood you want..Aspen will cost you less and cherry will be on the high end..Most of the stuff you see in stores and on the web is hard wood and stained yet they get some big bucks fot it...<br /><br />My Web page hopefully will be up and running in a few months and Spinner will be at the helm..Heaven forbid..lol...And no he will not be selling that special pic he has of me.. :D <br /><br />So if ya got a design in mind draft it out and shoot it to me..Yes locks will cost ya extra...

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

Apology accepted gonfishn. <br /><br />I still want to point out that most versions of a wooden gun cabinet would leave the owners open to considerable liability vs a safe. Wire glass, locks, etc not withstanding these would not be considered a secure method of storage UNLESS the guns inside were further disabled buy such means as another locking device on the individual guns or seperate storage of the bolts, etc.<br /><br />There have been cases where the owners were held liable for failure to secure where a wooden guncase was involved. I am not saying I agree in anyway with these suits, but is is the way things are today.<br /><br />I would never rely on a wooden box to protect my investment or to protect me from liablity.