Grumman fuel tank pickup

Throbbin Rods

Petty Officer 1st Class
I recently picked up a 1989 Grumman GSF 184 with no motor. I bolted on a 90hp Evinrude. I was having trouble getting any gas to make it from the onboard tank up the gas hose to the primer bulb. I pulled the hose barb that connects to the main fuel hose. there is a check ball inside it that was stuck closed. I used a bunch of carb cleaner and got that loosened up. Still no luck. I pulled the barb fitting off again, then unscrewed the elbow that screws into the tank on the starboard side of the boat. There does not appear to be a pick up tube of any kind there. Just a threaded hole in the tank. I would greatly appreciate it if anyone can tell me the part number for that pick up tube and where I could purchase one? I assume it has to be flexible as is it almost to the starboard edge of the tank.
Thank you!
Bill

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
its not a barb fitting, its an anti-siphon valve

the aluminum ones fail

buy a new anti-siphon valve. available anywhere that sells marine fuel system parts.

the vertical tube the anti siphon valve is in will un-thread. that is a standard pickup tube...... also available at any place that sells marine fuel system parts.

however the inside of the tank is probably gummed up too.

Bondo

Staff member
I pulled the barb fitting off again, then unscrewed the elbow that screws into the tank on the starboard side of the boat. There does not appear to be a pick up tube of any kind there. Just a threaded hole in the tank.

Ayuh,...... What I have done before is, if the elbow is brass, is to drill out the tank side to 3/8", 'n solder in a piece of 3/8" copper tubin' that reaches the bottom of the tank,......