Grumman Boat Photos

Status
Not open for further replies.

accentphoto

Petty Officer 2nd Class
We need to put some photos of our Grumman boats online for others to find and use for reference or bragging rights ...

Some of the fellows are doing fine restorations and if I did not find the right search words I would have never learned what I have about the boat I am working on.

What do you think? If you post your pics don't forget to add some info in the "Tags" section to aid those searching. For example, I have been curious as to what the Grumman Master Fisherman looks like and I have only seen a couple of stripped inside shots but not a good completed in and out shot. I am working on a 1983 Grumman 5.0 and I will try to add some photos to aid others. These photos are my project.

Attachments

• DSC_1074.jpg
    DSC_1074.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 20
  • DSC_1069.jpg
    DSC_1069.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC_1080.jpg
    DSC_1080.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 21
  • DSC_9473_1.jpg
    DSC_9473_1.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 21
  • DSC_1079.jpg
    DSC_1079.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 25

accentphoto

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Grumman Boat Photos

And someone else's boat for sale at $7k that I wished I had ... this baby looks sweet ... check out the kicker. Mine has the Bow Rails and this one doesn't but it has some low side rails. Factory? What about that driver seat configuration? Is that factory? I wished someone had some uploaded .pdf catalogs of various years.

Attachments

• 4da2a3154a0f7d5a3b514f096.jpg
    4da2a3154a0f7d5a3b514f096.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 23
  • 4da2a315495025c5baf40ff51.jpg
    4da2a315495025c5baf40ff51.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 22
  • 4da2a3154acecec6c83575373.jpg
    4da2a3154acecec6c83575373.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 4da2a31548916d27d2000e3f9.jpg
    4da2a31548916d27d2000e3f9.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 21

accentphoto

Petty Officer 2nd Class

nhangler sent me this great tidbit on the Grumman 5.0

"Found this write up on the Grumman 5.0. Figured I would share...

"Yachting / January 1982
New Boats

The Grumman aluminum 5.0 meter center console fisherman was designed for stability, speed, and good rough water ability by Bill Shaw, who is well known to sailors for his Pearson Yacht; designers. Though she has some resemblance to a 4.6 meter model he designed previously, she isn?t a blow up but is all new in hull form.

Considering the extremes of the flat bottomed hull, which is the most stable and fast on flat water but a wet pounder in rough water, and the deep V hull is 20 degree or greater dead rise, which is least stable at rest but stable, fast, and relatively dry and comfortable in rough water. Bill originally opted for a V bottom hull with constant dead rise of 17 degrees from the turn of the bow to the stern as a good compromise. However, a prototype that was built proved less than desirable as an all around boat, so a model with a 12 degree dead rise in the planning area was built. As opposed to the deep V hull, she sacrificed some speed, directional stability and keeping ability in rough water, but she still proved good in all those departments, had greater stability at rest, and was capable of higher speed with the same horsepower in moderate conditions. This hull then sent into production as the Gurmman 5.0.

Constructed of marine aluminum alloy, the 5.0 has two frame members in each side and 15 transverse members in the bottom for strength and rigidity. The .070 sheet in her side and bow areas is stretch-formed, as is her one-piece .090 stern and keel member. Her skins are fastened closely spaced rivets, and pvc foam table is used in the joints with sealant.

Overall dimensions are 16?10? with a 7?6? beam and she?s 33? deep amidships. She weights 853 lb. and is BIA-rated for 100HP and a maximum capacity of 1600 pounds. Her 20.5? transom is deigned for long-shaft motors and has the strength to take twins. Is company and motor manufacturer tests with one person, a battery, two six gallon fuel tanks, and standard safety equipment, she did 43MPH with a single 90HP outboard, 37 MPH with a 75 HP, 21MPH with a 35 HP, and 16MPH with a 25 hp. Twin 50HP motors drove her at 40MPH.
We rode a Grumman 5.0 with a 90 hp Evinrude in a short; steep chop on Lake Michigan and found her to be stable, relatively dry, and highly maneuverable without alarming heel. No planning outboard flying at high speed off of a two-foot wave is going to set you down without a jar, but she compared well with the best of them.

The console of the 5.0 is of all welded aluminum construction with built in stowage. Forward, there?s stowage beneath a raised fishing platform that is reinforced for an optional pedestal seat. She also has a bow locker. Standard items include a fish box under the helmsman?s seat, an ice chest seat forward of the console, and rod racks to port. Foam strategically placed in the sides and bottom provides positive floatation; she?s been swamped and run dry through bailing ports.

The Grumman 5.0 is also offered as a side console model, and at this writing each boat is priced at $4950.
For details, contact Bev Brown, Gengeral Sales Manager, Gurmman Boats, Marathon, NY, 13803"

Thanks nhangler! Great find!

sirknight

Recruit

boat1.jpg

My grumman 14ft jon boat. I have a minnkota 30lbs transom mount trolling motor,and a evinrude 4 hp with it would love to get a 6hp 4 stroke motor for it tho.

accentphoto

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Nice condition. How old is it? I have a 1969 7hp motor that only has about 6 hours on it but I plan on cranking it up one day as a kicker for mine until I can get something bigger.

sirknight

Recruit

1989 yeal Ive been fishing alot in it. Its a great boat cant wait to get a nice outboard for it.

erwinner

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here's my '89 Grumman with the '72 6hp Rude and now a '10 15hp Merc!
Had her out dozens of times this season, and the cold is still months off!

Attachments

• kayakboat.jpg
    kayakboat.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 3
  • mercboat.jpg
    mercboat.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 3
  • rudeboat.jpg
    rudeboat.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 4

accentphoto

Petty Officer 2nd Class

erwinner your boat looks almost new in the photos ... 22 years old ... nice.

willem5.0

Recruit

Just snagged this one. I am currently in the process of replacing the floor. Soggy rotten wood for years!! Wish me luck!!

IMG_20111016_185441.jpg

IMG_20111016_185412.jpg

Cowcharge

Cadet

Hey all, this is my little 12' Grumman, that my grandfather bought new.

Grumman1.jpg

accentphoto

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yours looks like mine. I had a couple of soft spots. Life got busy, the boat got put aside pending the engine needing to run first. Sank $800.00 in replacing all engine electronics, rebuilt the carbs to spec and rebuilt the fuel pump and at first try she kicked but would not run. Seems a fuel starvation from what may be a problem in the vacuum for the fuel pump from the motor. I packed it up last year during the hurricane season and I am getting ready to start working on it again. How is that floor replacement going? I have that same brown carpet. Any corrosion or seal problems on the aluminum? Nice workshop. Its good to have a season proof work shop.

accentphoto

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That boat looks like it was built like a battleship. Thats a nice family heirloom. What size motor are you trying to put on it?

accentphoto

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Never could get your attachments to load on your 5.0. Would love to see them. How far out are you going?

Cowcharge

Cadet

That boat looks like it was built like a battleship. Thats a nice family heirloom. What size motor are you trying to put on it?

You mean mine? It's a great boat, built like an airplane around '56, doesn't leak a drop. I love loading it up with my camping gear and heading for an island. It came with a '67 Johnson 5hp, runs like new.

Status
Not open for further replies.