Grumman 5.0 meter info/ restoration archive

Status
Not open for further replies.

73 Dolphin

Petty Officer 1st Class
I was hoping to get some input from current members on restoration photos and tips SPECIFICALLY for the Grumman meter series boats and especially the 5 meter center console.

Yes there is some info on here BUT forum rules are such that some threads are too old to be resurrected and also some of them have bad links to images.

What I am requesting is any current members who have images or want to share their past/ present or impending restorations here ( instead of linking to old dead posts )
All Grummam meter series info, recollections and memories are welcome.

We can do this and save a Grumman or two.
Who is with me?

73 Dolphin

Petty Officer 1st Class
So here is my starting point. More pictures to follow as I get into it.

Attachments

• photo324673.jpg
    photo324673.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 15
  • photo324674.jpg
    photo324674.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 16

73 Dolphin

Petty Officer 1st Class
One of the many questions I have is how the floor was originally arranged in this front section.
The floor was completely rotted out when I got her. What was left ,although it still appeared to be in sheets,
crumbled up and all disappeared up the hose of my shop vac. The last floor section towards the front storage rises
on the sides ( triangle sections). There is a galvanized box section tube mounted to the front storage. Cant work out out the flooring should be here. There is a very thin aluminum cross piece that appears to have had a thin layer of wood between it and hull. Is the box section tubing an add on? Can anyone confirm?

73 Dolphin

Petty Officer 1st Class
Other concern is I found some bubbled paint which at first resembled rivets. I pushed on the and the paint burst oozing liquid and uncovering the pin holes below. The holes are much smaller that the marks you see here. No they are not rivets gone bad. I would guess that on the inside of the hull there was some contact / rubbing. The problem is the the bow and storage area are double skinned and I cannot get the the inside to see. Many heavy duty rivets holding it all together. The photo of the interior front section above shows what I mean. They are not structurally hurting the boat so I may just prepare and fill them. Or perhaps clean and rivet. Im not looking to do a factory restoration. Just want a funtioning boat. So we will see what happens here.

73 Dolphin

Petty Officer 1st Class
This post got moved from boat restoration to Grumman boats.
Until recently I had never even noticed the boats by manufacture link at the bottom of forum. Hopefully at least a few people will get to see this. Still dont really understand why they decided to move it but oh well...

marinette 89

Recruit
I have owned a '86 5.0 meter Grumman since it was new. Powered by 45 Merc +9.8 Merc trolling motor. I will send pics of the floor when I return from vacation (around 7/7) . I also have had the same corrosion from the inside in the same location( front and some in rear, same side). Navy '60-'64 BT2.

marinette 89

Recruit
Sorry I didn't return sooner. Computer died and had to wait for a new one. Floor boards appear to have the carpeting attached before fastening to aluminum supports wih pop rivets. Everything (livewell,seat and console) then was fastened to floor. Hard to tell from your pics if you have these items. I had the same issue with blistering/perforation in the same inaccessible spots. Solved it with JB Weld "steelstick" epoxy. Cleaned the spot where the penetration was, then forced the epoxy in until it mushroomed inside the hole. Was done several years ago (maybe four)and still holds.

Attachments

• photo336472.jpg
    photo336472.jpg
    234.1 KB · Views: 25
  • photo336473.jpg
    photo336473.jpg
    358.5 KB · Views: 22
  • photo336474.jpg
    photo336474.jpg
    293.4 KB · Views: 23
  • photo336475.jpg
    photo336475.jpg
    394 KB · Views: 20
  • photo336476.jpg
    photo336476.jpg
    415.5 KB · Views: 24

73 Dolphin

Petty Officer 1st Class
Sorry I didn't return sooner. Computer died and had to wait for a new one. Floor boards appear to have the carpeting attached before fastening to aluminum supports wih pop rivets. Everything (livewell,seat and console) then was fastened to floor. Hard to tell from your pics if you have these items. I had the same issue with blistering/perforation in the same inaccessible spots. Solved it with JB Weld "steelstick" epoxy. Cleaned the spot where the penetration was, then forced the epoxy in until it mushroomed inside the hole. Was done several years ago (maybe four)and still holds.
Thanks so much for the pictures! Also sorry it took me a while to get back to the forum to check. Funnily enough I did the JB Weld solution also. Was tied up with house renovations and messing with an old RV which has just been sent on to a new owner.

This now gives me the time to get back to the Grumman.
Over the next week or so Ill get some marine ply and measure up. I plan to cut the one piece required to fix the Console to, so I can, at least, get it to as dock and view if there is any water getting in.

So far its not been off the trailer. There could be some rot between the hull and the bunks that I cant see. The bunks are carpeted so hopefully good. The single piece of flooring for the console will let me see where any water is coming in and give me something to stand on. ( and stop the console from falling over when being towed ha ha )

The original foam is still in the hull. Its bone dry. If it stays dry and takes on no water ( 30 mins floating above trailer at ramp ) then Ill probably just floor over the existing and get to putting her back together. The picture of the floor / front locker transition is just what I needed!

jrousell

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks so much for the pictures! Also sorry it took me a while to get back to the forum to check. Funnily enough I did the JB Weld solution also. Was tied up with house renovations and messing with an old RV which has just been sent on to a new owner.

This now gives me the time to get back to the Grumman.
Over the next week or so Ill get some marine ply and measure up. I plan to cut the one piece required to fix the Console to, so I can, at least, get it to as dock and view if there is any water getting in.

So far its not been off the trailer. There could be some rot between the hull and the bunks that I cant see. The bunks are carpeted so hopefully good. The single piece of flooring for the console will let me see where any water is coming in and give me something to stand on. ( and stop the console from falling over when being towed ha ha )

The original foam is still in the hull. Its bone dry. If it stays dry and takes on no water ( 30 mins floating above trailer at ramp ) then Ill probably just floor over the existing and get to putting her back together. The picture of the floor / front locker transition is just what I needed!

so how did you make out? any pictures from your progress? I just bought your boat's sister.

Status
Not open for further replies.