Grrrrrrrrr ! Wrong Universal Spyder

Status
Not open for further replies.

intrepidvoyager

Petty Officer 1st Class
We are replacing the old universal spyders on a 2002 SX leg ..... the local Volvo Penta guy gave us spyder 3850812 and @#%$#@& .it does not fit . the bearing caps are a few thous larger than the olds ones ... also they have C clips on the inside ...our old ones have the c clips on the outside !!!

Now he says ....oh the old style ( no grease fitting style like we have) are not avaliable and you got to buy a whole new drive shaft ...GRRRRRRR !!:mad:

Does anyone know an alternative for the old style spyder with c clip on the outside like from SKF or ?????

HELP ????

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Grrrrrrrrr ! Wrong Universal Spyder

dunno why but when volvo changed to the outside keepers on the SX style drives they eliminated any service parts.
you can still get them for the swedish drives just not the SX.
as I am employed as a volvo tech for a volvo dealer I have no choice but to use Volvo parts and procedures, liability and all.
takes about 4 hours to change the driveshaft assy and replace the bellows and gimbal bearing.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The Volvo PN for the ujoints with the outside keepers is 3860232. They still sell them.

intrepidvoyager

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks rodbolt ...really appreciate the info ..... ya we have the whole thing apart but problem is my bud who i am helping is not flush with cash and the drive shaft assembly here on Kauai is $300 compared to $70 for 2 spiders.

the local bearing guy not Volvo says he thinks he has gone thru this before and may be able to provide an SKF , GKN or timken equivalent to our old outside clip cap spiders ..... we'll see

Anyway tomorrow we are mounting the transom shield /gimble housing ....Sat we will drop the new engine in .....then Mon I will find out about the bearings and post reply ...

In mean time when Volvo Penta manual says use 3M sealant on rubber gaskets ......which 3M sealant ???

Many thanks

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

DonS
is the above part number valid for the SX drives with outside keepers? its not what the tech bullitens say.
I gotta call my tech rep about a VST and if I think about it I will ask.
in my salt pond area this fine E fuel is dissolving the paint on the inside of the MPI fuel cells and locking up pumps and clogging pressure regulator screens.
the new VST Volvo sent me is anondized now not painted.
never seen anything like it.
this gas also dissolves the paint inside most water seperators as well.

intrepidvoyager

Petty Officer 1st Class

Mahalo nui loa Don .......

I am sure you are right as thanks to your part number saw a post from a guy that put them in an SX and was short one so sub'd a PRECISION 344 ...

We won't be doing that ...we'll get 2 of 3860232

Wow ...will my friend ever be happy when I tell him he won't have to shell out for a whole new drive shaft !!!!!! :D

ps ...I think the sb that rodbolt saw basically said that the 3860232 's won't fit the newer SX driveshaft

Thanks again ...made our week !!!!

Don S

DonS
is the above part number valid for the SX drives with outside keepers? its not what the tech bullitens say.

Yes, I have changed many.
Their is actually a Sierra 18-6406, is exactly the same part, right down to the casting marks on the cross piece.
Found that out by accident. The sierra part was ordered by a customer and they didn't fit. When I looked at them, I recoganized them, and since I was doing an SX at the time with water in the bellows, I checked them carefully, and used them.

I know the service bulletin he is referring to 44-1 5 02. and it does say that in the last line, but they do work.

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

NAPA sells Sierra. Might be an alternate source for you.

intrepidvoyager

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks pirate ....the volvo guy in oahu had 2 in stock so they are on the way .

I'll post soon as they show up and we instal.

Can I have pirateover 60 ......:D

intrepidvoyager

Petty Officer 1st Class

okie dokie .....the 3860232 universal spiders fit PERRRRRRRFECTLY in the 2002 SX drive ...... I will forever listen to the ORACLE ...:D

I will mention here that the grease nippled 3850812 spiders did not ...in case someone searches the forum with this issue ..

In case its mentioned by others we did mark the the yokes and center section so we could reassemble the drive shaft in the same order .

We'll slap the leg on tomorrow and go try for a 200lb tuna ...sushi anyone..;)

Don S

Fantastic, of course, I knew they would fit. But I was the only one.

Hope you find your MEGA Tuna.

PS: Just put this thread in the Adults only sticky under Volvo info.

EDIT: Added this to help explain the two types in the future.

attachment.php

EDIT: more PN information.
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=296325

Attachments

• Volvo ujoints.jpg
    Volvo ujoints.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

The Great White

Recruit
Two questions: which Volvo-Penta manual is best, Clymers or Seloc??
Changing the universal spiders, what seal replacement kit will I need?
1993 Pursuit with a DP 270 outdrive.

GA_Boater

Two questions: which Volvo-Penta manual is best, Clymers or Seloc??
Changing the universal spiders, what seal replacement kit will I need?
1993 Pursuit with a DP 270 outdrive.

Start a new thread. This is 10 years old.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.