Engine Identification

Incorrigible

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have twin Johnson 225hp's on the back of a recently purchased boat. The identification tag on the port starboard engine is legible as J225TXESS so I've got a Johnson 225hp 1990. (feel free to provide any suggestions, as these are my first two-strokes and first outboards)

The model number on the port engine tag only has the following legible: J225

Now, I can see some very minor differences between the two engines (exhaust outlet for one) but very little else. My concern in correctly identifying these engines as I'm soon to start putting some work into them.

My question is this: Can I correctly identify the engines with the Serials Numbers somehow (both serial numbers are clearly identified) or am I out of luck?

Thanks much for all the discussion I've already read here.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Engine Identification

look for a welch (freeze) plug, on the block, should have model and serial #s.

MVC-859S-1.jpg

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The numbers may still be found on the port transom bracket although the plastic stickers did not hold up very well.

If the numbers on the welch plug on the engine block contain only the serial numbers, you would need a dealer to contact BRP for the model number and age.

You can "read" a model number using the chart, just click the thumbnail.

Attachments

• omc_1980_1998.JPG
    omc_1980_1998.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 0

Incorrigible

Petty Officer 2nd Class

EXCELLENT!!! There's another location for the model number.

Can you point me to WHERE that freeze plug would be? In otherwords, should I be able to find this without taking half of the engine apart, or is it typically buried under something?

Thanks so much.

HybridMX6

Senior Chief Petty Officer

It's typically on top of the engine, above the spark plugs, between the flywheel and the cylinder head. It's about the size of a quarter, and should be silver, but keep in mind it could be extremely dirty and/or covered up, so if you don't see it and the area is very dirty try wiping the area down some and see if you see it.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

It's not on top on a looper. Look in the middle of the exhaust bubble toward the top. If it's there it'll be in a recess or hole.

HybridMX6

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Ah, sorry, I was going off of my 3cyl. If it had been where I said, it would not be under the flywheel, but it would be visible between the edge of the flywheel and the cylinder head, no removing parts necessary (at least not for my 60hp).