Growling noise when steering.

JayBirdie88

Cadet
1988 Mercruiser 3.0, Alpha One, gen 1.
When the steering is turned to the extreme limit, left or right, a loud growling noise is produced. It only does it in the water but not on the hose. (I assume that the universal joint is not making the noise or it would do it in or out of the water)As the steering is slowly straightened out the sound is slowly reduced to nothing. When I checked the power steering fluid it was very low, (off the stick) I filled the pump to proper level but there is no change. Since the sound is associated with the steering I assume that the steering system is at fault. How can I diagnose this problem?

tpenfield

Staff member
Actually, u-joints would be top of the list. Worn bearings (in the u-joint) would make noise under load, which is unlikely while running on the muffs.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,..... Sounds like worn out u-joints, 'n / or gimbel bearing,....

harringtondav

Commander
I second @tpenfield and @Bondo .
You should pull your out drive. It's fairly simple and should be done regularly to inspect the U joints, gimbal bearing and drive shaft bellows.
I suspect your gimbal bearing, especially at that age. It's greasable, and if this has been neglected, or water has gotten into the bellows it's likely bad.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Check for leaks all the way in the back of the engine compartment where the steering actuator lives….it’s probably leaking…and note to self don’t hold the wheel against the stops either way because that causes PS pressures to rise to the point that it can cause leaks…

JayBirdie88

Cadet
Yikes! Here is the kicker. A while back(2 years) The billow developed a hole and water leaked into the u-joint. I replaced all of the billows and boots. The next time I pulled the lower unit to grease the ujoint, I noticed some rust. After that I noticed some vibration but didn't know from where or what. I pulled the lower unit again and this time the gimble bearing was stuck on the drive shaft. SO....me, thinking I am a mechanic and wanting to save some money, decided to replace the gimble bearing and while I'm at it, I would replace the universal joints. I went to ebay and ordered an after market gimble bearing, a gimble bearing install tool and a set of after market universal joints. I got a bearing press at Auto Zone on the loan program. Then I went to YouTube boat mechanic school to see how to do this job. I successfully ??? managed to seat the gimble bearing. Grease hole lined up. Seems fully seated. Then I successfully ??? replaced the universal joints. Replaced lower unit. Test run! Ran Great! No vibration, no noise. I was thrilled. THEN! I took the grand kids water skiing. I had to make tight turn to drop ropes and pick up skiers. A growling or clicking sound started at extreme left or right turn. I checked steering pump fluid and it was extremely low. I filled it. Didn't help. I then pulled the lower unit again to see if there was anything obvious. All the C clips are on the bearing cups.. No evidence that the bearing cups or the u joints are hitting inside the housing..I do see that the retaing band on the billows inside the Ujoint housing has some gouging or scratches all the way around it. I don't know if that has anything to do with this problem or not. So here I am today!! Do I get a bank loan and take it to the dealer to replace the gimble bearing and universal joints or is there something that you might suggest that I can do first?

harringtondav

Commander
I went to ebay and ordered an after market gimble bearing, a gimble bearing install tool and a set of after market universal joints..I do see that the retaing band on the billows inside the Ujoint housing has some gouging or scratches all the way around it. I don't know if that has anything to do with this problem or not.
Not all U joints are the same, even if they fit the yokes. The needle bearing journals on automotive Unis are smaller diameter than marine U joints. ...but I don't think this is your problem this soon after replacement.
The scuffing on the inside of the drive shaft bellows may indicate the large pair of drive pinion bearings just inside the upper housing are bad or loose. The driveshaft assembly is supported by the gimal bearing on the coupler yoke end, and these bearings on the gear yoke end. They see their highest stress during turns.
Replacing these correctly is no small task. A special spanner is needed to remove and re-torque the retainer. A shimming tool is also needed to verify the drive pinion's 'cone point' distance. Also an inch/lb torque wrench is needed to set bearing preload on the bearing set. The cost of these tools is likely less than a shop's charges, and you'll know this critical repair is done correctly. You'll also need a manual. Online versions are available.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I suspect the fleabay u-joints are junk. Suggest spicer or GKN

tpenfield

Staff member
@JayBirdie88 . . . . 'Bellows', not billows

A standard U-joint may not be good enough . . . Maybe check the bearing size of what you got from eBay. Similarly with the gimbal bearing. . . might be a cheap bearing.

Do you have the outdrive trimmed up too much while doing all this turning? Also a hard turn under power is going to stress the u-joints. So, maybe it is a combination of things - both parts and usage.

Got any pictures of the marks you were seeing inside the bellows?

Also . . . how are the engine mounts? and the alignment?