Gross Stupidity

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Every now and then you come across a story which is off the end of the stupidity scale :rolleyes: Check this one out from our local paper today...<br /><br />
<br />Man tried to drive through fatal accident roadblock<br /> <br />13.01.05 1.00pm<br /> <br />A drink-driver who tried to drive around a roadblock at a crash site where three people had been killed had his licence back for less than two hours.<br /><br />Joseph Kelly De Thierry, 28, of Pukekohe, was yesterday convicted in Hamilton District Court of drink-driving at Mangatawhiri last Saturday.<br /><br />De Thierry was arrested after he ignored instructions of a firefighter not to drive into the crash site. As 30 emergency services staff worked to clear the crash, De Thierry attempted to get around the roadblock by driving up a bank, where he got stuck.<br /><br />Police prosecutor Acting Sergeant Lisa Goodson told the court that when police spoke to De Thierry at 1.40am, his previous disqualification for drink-driving had ended at midnight.<br /><br />Ms Goodson said De Thierry smelled of alcohol and admitted drinking beer and spirits before driving, but told police he wanted to get home to Pukekohe.<br /><br />He registered 634mg of alcohol per litre of breath when tested. The legal limit is 400mg.<br /><br />De Thierry's lawyer, Douglas Hall, said his client had been at a party and had not intended to drive. But when a family argument broke out, he decided to leave.<br /><br />Community magistrate Mary Symmans warned De Thierry jail was likely if he appeared on another drink-driving charge. De Thierry was convicted, fined $700 and disqualified from driving for nine months.<br /><br />- NZPA<br /><br />
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/index.cfm?c_id=1&ObjectID=10006437

sangerwaker

Commander
Re: Gross Stupidity

I guess stuff like that happens everywhere. There really are some idiots out there. Makes me feel a little more sane everytime I read about some dipstick like this.

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

oh .. I thought you were talkin' bout me --> "Gross Stupidity"<br /><br /><br /> :D <br /><br /><br />..nevermind...

brother chris

Commander

People like that need to get caught so they won't be able to drive anymore.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Yea, Brother Chris.. I agree.. But how do we keep them from driving anyways?<br /><br />An example for ya.. This happend sunday afternoon on the south east corner of my block... Nothing anyone could do for the victim.. Most gawd awful sound and sight i've ever been witness to, and i've seen some bad ones at that corner..<br /><br />Palm beach post: Tuesday, January 11, 2005<br /><br />Daniel Carbone had just left home to spend Sunday afternoon watching playoff football with his younger brother when his car was struck violently by a man speeding from police.<br /><br />Carbone's Oldsmobile careened into a concrete utility pole at the intersection of Bunker Road and Parker Avenue and burst into flames. The driver of the other car, Juan Carmenate, 22, of Miami, fled on foot but was captured later in a storage shed. (my neighbor Jeffery's shed, 2 doors over)<br /><br />Carbone, 52, of West Palm Beach, died instantly, but the force of the impact and the intensity of the fire were so great that investigators could not identify him at first.<br /><br />Carmenate was arrested on charges of burglary and leaving the scene of a crash involving a death. He reportedly fled after trying to elude police officers near a suspected drug house on the 500 block of Puritan Road. Police tried to pull Carmenate over but he sped off.<br /><br />The officers turned off their emergency lights and decided not to pursue Carmenate, police said. They caught up to him again near Georgia Avenue, but he again refused to pull over and sped away.<br /><br />Carmenate had two outstanding felony warrants and is a habitual traffic offender who lost his license in January 2002, police said.<br /><br />End of story.. <br /><br />but wait, there's more..<br /><br />Juan Carmenate was supposed to be on house arrest in MIAMI.. Juan Carmenate refused to go to court on monday... <br /><br />Juan Carmenate, piece of egg sucking gutter trash; needs to DIE!!!! May i suggest they put him in a car, weld the doors shut, light the car on fire and let him burn up in it.... I'd be more than willing to strike and throw the match...<br /> :mad:

NYMINUTE

Captain

Must be Indiana is farming out their STUPID to other countries. Of course we import them too. Whata Jerk!

D

DJ

but told police he wanted to get home to Pukekohe.<br />
Is that where he lived or what he wanted to do?<br /><br />What an idiot.

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Originally posted by DJ:<br /> Is that where he lived or what he wanted to do?<br /><br />
PUKEKOHE<br /><br />DJ - It took me a while to work out what you meant... that's funny! :D A very suitable name for where he lives! :D <br /><br />NZ is infamous for having place names that visitors get the pronounciations wrong (almost a sport here). Pukekohe (pronounced "Pook-A-Coe-E") is a place in the south west of Auckland - famous for it's drag racing events.<br /><br />Many NZ place names are based on Maori names (native people of NZ). In the spelling of many of them, you often see "WH" which is pronounced like an "F" ( eg Whangamata, Whangarei etc). The place of the above incident was Mangatawhiri - which is pronounced "Man-ga-ta-firi".<br /><br />None of ours are as potentially hazardous as Thailand's "Phuket".... You wouldn't want to try that one without hearing it first :D - But it's probably a bit safer now it's had so much exposure in the news... :(