Grinding Questions

blousteau

Seaman Apprentice
I started grinding the stringer sides down and have them flush with the hull, I am planning on grinding over about 4 inches on each side of the stringers. Do I have to grind the glass that forms the hat brim on each side of the stringers to the bare hull, or do I just need to skuff it up pretty good to create the mechanical bond of the new glass? The glass seems to be bonded well to the hull.

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: Grinding Questions

hi....im not sure what you mean by the hat brim....

do u mean the channel that the old stringers were in?

iif so.....as long as there is not too much left its ok....most of us ground out the whole thing as to make a good new area to start with...

remember....you are just scuffing the old glass. we often get carried away with the grinding and go wayyyy too deep.

after the grinding....sweep/ vaccume and then aceitone the area.....the best thing is to have a clean scuffed area to bond to.

cheers
oops

blousteau

Seaman Apprentice

It was hard to explain, but I am grinding the "channels" flush, but where the stringers were tabbed to the hull (that is what I was calling the hat brim)I have been trying to level that a bit but not down to the hull before the tabbing. Maybe a picture will help....

What I mean is, I have ground the blue down until the channel for the old stringer is pretty much gone, it is not totally flat with the hull because there is still some blue left on the sides of the channel but I feathered that down. Do I have to grind all the blue on the sides of the stringer down to the red??

Attachments

• Untitled-2.jpg
    Untitled-2.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 0

oops!

Supreme Mariner

thats what i thought,

2 schools...

1 grind it all off.

2. leave one inch and fill with peanut butter (search peanut butter) or other bedding compound....then place in the stringer in the channel....this will help hold up the stringer when you glass in the new one.

i ground minr right to the hull......it was cleaner, and i KNOW i have a good bond.

the stringers were tabbed in place using csm. after that cured the stringers stood up just fine for the rest of the glassing procedure.

hope that helps.

cheers
oops

chrishayes

Senior Chief Petty Officer

hi....im not sure what you mean by the hat brim....

do u mean the channel that the old stringers were in?

iif so.....as long as there is not too much left its ok....most of us ground out the whole thing as to make a good new area to start with...

remember....you are just scuffing the old glass. we often get carried away with the grinding and go wayyyy too deep.

after the grinding....sweep/ vaccume and then aceitone the area.....the best thing is to have a clean scuffed area to bond to.

cheers
oops

OOOPs you are absotively right about the grinding too much deal. My buddy helped me grind mine. I took a side he took a side. I asked him to ge tthe thick roven ground to where the hight part of the weave was gone and the low part was just ground enough to be fresh glass. Well...I ended up putting a layer of 1708 on the entire bottom of my hull! But he was proud of the work so I told him that he did great and that I was just adding the glass for "strength";) Be careful!