Grinder question for floor replacement

CaptnKirk

Seaman Apprentice
Hi all! Ive done searches on replacing the floor in my '69 Larson Shark and Im in the process of cutting out the floor. I used a circular saw (carbide blade) for the long cuts. Now Im needing to get close to the side of the hull. In searching the forums, I read that people use grinders to get in tight, close to the hull places. My question is...what kind of grinder specifically? I have 3 ideas in mind, but just not sure if one will work better than the others.<br /><br />1. 1/4" Air Die Grinder<br />2. 4" Air Angle Grinder<br />3. 3" High Speed Air Cutter<br /><br />Just from looking at them, my choice would be the 1/4" die grinder. Any other thoughts?<br /><br />Thanks in advance!<br /><br />Captn---

CaptnKirk

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Grinder question for floor replacement

One more thing...what kind of discs do you use? <br /><br />Captn---

Bondo

Staff member

#2,..... With standard Grinding Discs.....

epresutti

Chief Petty Officer

Captnkirk,<br /><br />Agree with Bondo, that is what I used. Be careful about not going through the hull at the chines. I know all about it :) <br /><br />Peace.<br /><br />Ed.

Chief101

Chief Petty Officer

I use the 4" angle grinder with diamond cutting blades and 36grit sanding disks for any flat grinding. Chief Chief

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

:D The grinder has become simply the most used tool in my restoration. During a part's wait recently, i used to strip off the paint on a boat trailer. Went to home depot and picked up a 7" adapter and some 80 grit paper and just tore it up in less than a hour.<br /><br />4"1/2 electric angle grinder and as Cheif shows the diamond blade is very useful and effeicent.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i agree with electric grinder, it takes a big compressor to keep up with an air grinder.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

4" electric grinder. Use cuttoff wheels intended for metal, one disc will last the entire project. Just be careful, the disc will go right through the glass very quickly. I also used a regular grinding wheel for my grinding tasks. It would get some buildup, but just running it against concrete removed the buildup off of the grinding wheel. My angle grinder has consistently been the most useful tool in my boating projects.

CaptnKirk

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for all the responses! Electric grinder it is then. I'll pick up a couple different discs and then I'll be set! <br /><br />Thanks again!<br /><br />Captn---

Terrulle

Petty Officer 3rd Class

For cutting floors out I use A FEIN multimaster tool with the HSS blade. The tool allows you to cut glass so close to the side of the boat that there is very little grinding involved. Of course you have to grind where you will glass the floor th the sides and transom, but you don't have to cut with circular saw then sawsall,then gring it all back to the sides. Awesometool...<br /> http://www.jamestowndistributors.co...t.do?pid=3392&familyName=Fein+MultiMaster+VS+

Terrulle

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Oh, and very little dust... blade has a 1/16" kerf

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

Those 4" electric grinders are all but disposable these days. I bought a few on sale for about ten bucks each and keep a different wheel on each one so I don't have to change disks, just grab a different grinder.