Gregor 14' with Yamaha 20 elec. owner report

likalar

Petty Officer 1st Class
I just put together a neat fishing outfit for 2: A new welded 14' Gregor with a new 20 4-stroke Yamaha, all resting on a galvi' easy loader. The boat and motor are the 20" shaft versions. The boat is sold as a blank canvas. I added my own flooring (instead of the factory option), using 1/2" marine ply, covered in Gregor style vinyl texture flooring from Defender Marine. Tanks, seats and other gear went on just the way I wanted it.
After break-in, I can report the speed figures as measured on a GPS, 2 directions, at sea level, with the standard 12" pitch 3 blade Yamaha prop: Load: 2 adults-360 lbs, a dog-60 lbs. 6 gallons fuel, 40 lbs. of anchor and other gear. I have a Doel-fin installed, as I've had great results on other small boats. The boat jumps on plane without fuss, seeming effortless.
Speeds: WOT: 22.5 mph. I don't have a tach, but at the engines cruising "sweet spot", we're going 17 mph. I'm real happy with the set-up, but wish there was a bit less vibration at the tiller. I think maybe the all-metal boat has a lot to do with that. I just installed a rubber engine pad; maybe that will help. The engine starts instantly, hot or cold, and runs great after a 3 minute warm-up. Great unit!
Overall a nice easy to handle rig that's just what I needed as a 60 year old. I can hook it up, launch, run it all morning, retrieve it, clean it and load it back into the garage by myself. Bigger boats are often sitting unused because of the hassles involved. I highly recommend a simple rig like this to put a smile on your face (weather permitting). ;-)
Larry in SF, CA

BaileysBoat

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Gregor 14' with Yamaha 20 elec. owner report

Nice. What about a picture?

likalar

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks! Here's a pic (I hope). I'll try to add more tomorrow

Attachments

• boatpic.jpg
    boatpic.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 14

likalar

Petty Officer 1st Class

more pics

Attachments

• boatside copy.jpg
    boatside copy.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 15

likalar

Petty Officer 1st Class

the last pics. Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• boat biz.jpg
    boat biz.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 19
  • boatfloors.jpg
    boatfloors.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 19
  • frontview.jpg
    frontview.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 19

BaileysBoat

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Nice. Like the first mate.

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

sharp Rig.....:D Everyone should spoil themselves once in a while and you are right about big old boats not being used much...smaller IS BETTER....in this case....

what do you normally fish for? or what do you catch...maybye a couple pics of that too! always fun to see a catch!

Cheers!

Vegas.....

So Likalar now that you've had the boat for a couple of years how is it running for you? Your set up is exactly what I'm looking for. I keep looking on Craigslist and looking and looking.....not a lot of 4 stroke 20HP Yamahas on 14' Gregors for sale.....but like I said I keep looking for one! Would love to hear an update.

Thanks!

shrimper

Recruit

Hi Larry, It's been a while since you posted your this thread, I was wondering where you purchased your port side rod holders? I've been looking for something like theses and can't seem to find them.

Thanks,
Frank

likalar

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks, all! Sorry I hadn't checked back here. After 2 years (maybe 35-40 outings) the boat is still a champ. Nothing has loosened, the Yamaha has been a perfect choice for this boat. The vibration has lessened, and I would choose this engine again, no question! Starts and runs perfectly. The white rod holders are PVC pipe and fittings from Home depot, attached with cable ties. I used slitted foam inserts to secure the thin end of the rods. Some cutting was involved, but the project was simple enough. I'm cheap! Let me know if you want a close-up photo. We've used the boat in some choppy conditions, and it performs great! I highly recommend the long-shaft version of this hull, with the taller transom. It's a very dry ride, in all conditions, and would choose the same hull if given the chance. My original idea was a simple rig that could go out single handed, no fuss involved. This little rig has lived up to the idea just perfectly. If I mount it on the trailer a bit crooked, no problem. Just give it a shove to center it. If I need to move it around the garage a bit, by hand, no problem. If my wife feels like staying home, no problem, I can go it alone, despite the lack of help from the dog.
Larry

kfa4303

Banned

I've never seen a Gregor before. Nice boats. They look like little bullets. Very fast and solid.

They are a West coast/California product, some popularity in Oregon/Washington/Alaska too; influenced by the Mexican "pongas" too, I imagine. One of the first 100% welded aluminum designs.

likalar

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've never seen a Gregor before. Nice boats. They look like little bullets. Very fast and solid.

I originally only looked at used Gregors. I was surprised how many older, "very experienced" Gregors are still in service. Some looked like they've been to the ends of the world, dropped off of trucks, bashed against rock, etc. But they still keep ticking, and nothing loosened. Great hulls!
Larry