Greetings All!

DavidK

Cadet
Salutations from Phoenix, AZ! My name is David. I'm brand new to the site and forum. I recently aquired a 1973 VIP 16' boat with original Johnson 50 still attached and in running condition. The boat belonged to my Grandad, who gave it to my Dad, who gave it to me. The craft has had a fairly good life since it's purchase, only being used a few times a year throughout the last thirty some odd years. The last two years of its' life have been spent in my folks' barn collecting dust, so there is a little room for cleaning and restoration, but I believe it is an old gem that just needs a little polishing. Anyhow, two weeks ago I visited Tx and before leaving, I hooked the boat up to my truck and brought it out here to AZ so I can clean it up and put it in the water! (I LOVE fishing.)
I joined this forum with the hopes of sharing some of my experiences in my new project and hopefully gain some wisdom from each of you VIP owners as well. I've already perused a few of the threads and noticed that I am not the only classic VIP owner. I look forward to "talking VIP" with you all soon!

VIPcole

Seaman
Re: Greetings All!

Welcome David, Sounds like a nice boat. If you get a chance post some pictures of that gem.

DavidK

Cadet

Hot off the presses! I just took these this morning. Enjoy!
1973vip003.jpg

1973vip001.jpg

1973vip006.jpg

1973vip012.jpg

DavidK

Cadet

I checked the Model number today...the placard is really faded, but I think I made out the model number to be "W16". I noticed that there was a stamp in the fiberglass on the transom also--"VVNW63771079" could anyone give me some insight as to what these numbers indicate? Thanks!!!

VIPcole

Seaman

I checked the Model number today...the placard is really faded, but I think I made out the model number to be "W16". I noticed that there was a stamp in the fiberglass on the transom also--"VVNW63771079" could anyone give me some insight as to what these numbers indicate? Thanks!!!

The VVNW63771079 would be the Hull serial number(ID#)

The other is probably just the Model#:D

DavidK

Cadet

It would seem that you are right....I just ran out and checked. My eyes aren't what they used to be I suppose. ;) Good catch!

Say, if the last two digits indicate the year built, how does the rest of the alphanumeric break down?
1973vip013.jpg

allen500

Recruit

Congratulations.
I live in Phoenix AZ as well. Please do yourself a favor and do not take it to Sportcenter Marine on the west side. They will try to sell you a new motor as they did with me. I took my boat in to get the timing set. They told me I had a bad motor and did not even attempt to set the timing. The motor is fine, but my wallet is a bit lighter.
Stay away from this shop.

DavidK

Cadet

Congratulations.
I live in Phoenix AZ as well. Please do yourself a favor and do not take it to Sportcenter Marine on the west side. They will try to sell you a new motor as they did with me. I took my boat in to get the timing set. They told me I had a bad motor and did not even attempt to set the timing. The motor is fine, but my wallet is a bit lighter.
Stay away from this shop.

Thanks for the advice!! I'll steer clear of them.