Green stuff on OMC bolts

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade
'89 4.3L Cobra<br /><br />There are a number of bolts on my Cobra outdrive that are suposed to have a green sticky stuff on them that the manual says is important to keep them from coming loose. Manual says to get new bolts if the green stuff is worn off, but I've gotta believe there is an acceptable alternative. <br /><br />Can I use some type of locktite on the bolts instead of getting new ones? If so, which one (I know they come in different strengths)? I'm also supposed to use gasket sealing compound on the bolts as well. Perhaps a bit of the loktite near the bolt head and gasket sealing compound the length of the rest of the bolt? <br /><br />I'm talking about the 4 bolts that hold the upper & lower together as well as the 6 bolts that hold the outdrive onto the transom.<br /><br />Thanks for any advice, hopefully will be able to put the whole thing back together tomorrow.

sea wolf

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Green stuff on OMC bolts

On the 4 bolts just dab some removable strength locktite. The 6 nuts are locknuts, if u want u can replace 'em. Just make sure they are stainless or they'll rust.