Green ground ran to gas filler tube?

viscern

Cadet
Why the hell would this be done? I have a 1995 Lowe Fish and Ski. Having ground problems with radio and rockers. Finally found problem with a green ground wire mice had chewed. Need to replace entire wire.
This thing connects to a screw at the filler cap! Unsure why that is but can is it on to ground it elsewhere on the boat?

trying to attach pics.

Attachments

• E7D8059E-4AC8-464C-B683-CE98BA72BA8A.jpeg
    E7D8059E-4AC8-464C-B683-CE98BA72BA8A.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 5
  • E9000F51-881D-46E8-997C-DAE0FA69815F.jpeg
    E9000F51-881D-46E8-997C-DAE0FA69815F.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 5
  • 42745022-33C7-4D51-987A-4D0C2DD852DC.jpeg
    42745022-33C7-4D51-987A-4D0C2DD852DC.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 5

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
It shouldn't be. That is a bonding wire for the fuel system and not a ground wire.

sam am I

Commander
I think it's fine, OP is mistaken a "bonding" wire for a "ground" wire and calling it such when it is just simply a mouse chewed "bonding" wire......(even if mice chewed the bonding wire, it's not going to cause a "ground issue")

So just to be clear......

1. A "bonding" wire DOES connect to battery negative and typically connects to various metal objects about the boat(seacock, filler fittings, drain plug housing, transom engine mount bolts, etc, etc), they are usually green insulated wires however, it DOES NOT carry any current (don't use bonding wires as a ground/return for any electrical devices, it's only meant to ground(bond) metal objects to batt neg)
  2. A "ground" wire also (obviously) goes to battery negative and DOES carry current.

Last edited:

viscern

Cadet
I think it's fine, OP is mistaken a "bonding" wire for a "ground" wire and calling it such when it is just simply a mouse chewed "bonding" wire......(even if mice chewed the bonding wire, it's not going to cause a "ground issue")

So just to be clear......

1. A "bonding" wire DOES connect to battery negative, can connect to various metal objects about the boat(seacock, filler fittings, drain plug housing, transom engine mount bolts) and are usually green insulated wires however, it DOES NOT carry any current (don't use bonding wires as a ground/return for any electrical devices, it's only meant to ground metal object to batt neg)
  2. A "ground" wire also (obviously) goes to battery negative and DOES carry current.

viscern

Cadet
So I can connect that anywhere? It doesn’t have to be back on the filler cap?
It does effect my radio and rockers switches. The radio stays on but no sound. Rocker switches seem to not work right either.

sam am I

Commander
So I can connect that anywhere? It doesn’t have to be back on the filler cap?
It does effect my radio and rockers switches. The radio stays on but no sound. Rocker switches seem to not work right either.
It is suppose to be on the filler fitting, yes, not the cap, no.

All boats with metal fillers are suppose to have the HOUSING bonded to battery negative.......typically, the metal cap is attached inside the neck by a steel wire.

Last edited:

viscern

Cadet
Ok. I can understand that. But I’m at a loss as to why it is effecting the stereo speakers and such.

sam am I

Commander
Ok. I can understand that. But I’m at a loss as to why it is effecting the stereo speakers and such.
Me too, there should be NO effect of having the metal tank bonded on a stereo system .............The bonding wiring is a separate run off the batt's neg from ground wiring. Make sure nothing is using the bonding wiring as a ground might be where to start.

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
It probably never existed, but Owner Resources on the Loew website is a place to begin if they have a link like that. After 26 years don't be disappointed.