Greed and Rich people - I just dont get it

tomatolord

Chief Petty Officer
Some of the greediest people I know are rich people<br /><br />did they get rich because they are greedy?<br /><br /> http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/football/nfl/03/10/tice/index.html?cnn=yes <br /><br />Here is the article on Mike Tice coach of the vikings - nice guy overall IMHO...but to scalp tickets to make an extra 8-10 K when you are already making millions a year i just dont get it<br /><br />He gets to buy 12 tickets at face value (500-600) and then he sold them to a scalper who sold them for 1900 or so and he got 1300 or so.<br /><br />The scalping thing just blew up in his face<br /><br />Even martha stewart - the stock that she tried to sell is 30$ above where she panicked at.<br /><br />Why not donate those tickets to charity? Like make a wish or something <br /><br />I just dont get it<br /><br />One great thing about the internet there is no hiding now

gaugeguy

Captain
Re: Greed and Rich people - I just dont get it

Seems like the Vikes have a scandal going every month :rolleyes:

NYMINUTE

Captain

Dumb, greedy move. But the example set by the CEO's in our nation is not a sterling one.

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

no kidding GG ... think its a media ploy myself.. but, who knows.<br /><br />Its not like Tice was/is the only coach/player/staff member in the NFL doing it.<br /><br />someone always has to point the finger at somone and make a big deal out of nothing that would otherwise not get any attention.<br /> :rolleyes:

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

ya know .. put it into perspective here..<br /><br />$10K will buy a nice new outboard :D

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The difference between "needy" and "greedy" is that if you don't have it you are needy. If you have it you are greedy.<br /><br />You can't win. :(

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

what JB said... :D

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Having a big salary isn't the same as "being rich" or having cash in your pocket. A lot of high-paid people just get bigger mortgages, bigger car payments, bigger credit card bills, gotta pay the bookie, the drug dealer, the girls, etc., etc., the new trophy wife wants more plastic surgery or more jewelry, especially if she finds out about the girls, yada yada yada it never ends.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

"This thwed ith ludaquith".

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

10K is still 10K, even if you are Donald Trump.<br /><br />Ken

KM2

Chief Petty Officer

For the record Tice is the lowest paid coach in the NFL. Making around $800,000 per year. <br /><br />Not trying to justify it. Scalping the tickets was really stupid.

Twidget

Commander

I wonder who it is that is pushing the matter. There is no way he is the only one doing it.<br /><br />From what is being reported here, he wasn't just selling his, he was letting it be known that he would buy everyones tickets at a markup for them. Im thinking this admission is sort of a plea bargain with the NFL.<br /><br />Ken is right though, 10 grand is 10 grand.

wilkin250r

Chief Petty Officer

I think "rich" and "greedy" may very well go hand-in-hand. With few exceptions, it takes a lot of time and effort to eventually achieve an $800k salary. That kind of hard work and determination is usually synonymous with a go-getter type attitude.<br /><br />While not an absolute hard, fast rule, this type of attitude will often manifest itself in a fiscal sense. I've seen it many times. I see many people that are considered well-off, driving $60,000 cars, and it burns them to find gas prices fall by 2 cents the day AFTER they fill up. What would they have really saved, 40 cents for a 20-gallon tank? Why does 40 cents matter when you're driving a $60,000 car? But for them, it's not 40 cents that is the real issue, it's the PRINCIPLE that they're spending more money than they need to.<br /><br />Probably much the same with Tice. If he has a go-getter attitude about money and finances, it's not so much the $10k, its the opportunity that drives him. Regardless of how much money he has, if he has an opportunity to make more, his personality and conscience won't let him pass on it.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Wilkin is right, for me , throwing away money ticks me off, no matter the amount.<br /><br />I never ever pay full price for anything.<br /><br />Ken

Bigfun

Petty Officer 1st Class

Greed has no relation to being rich, just watch most 2 year olds.<br /><br />The greediest people I have observed appeared to be of limited income. Although I read somewhere that the people in the poorest states are the most generous with donations.<br /><br />I don't believe the Tice situation has any thing to do with greed, it's just a simple business transaction.<br /><br />Can't we all agree on what level of property ownership including money is enough for an individual and anything more is just being greedy?<br /><br />Envy/jeolousy is a much more destructive and disgusting force/emotion than greed.<br /><br />I am greedy and generous. What does that make me? I beleive most people exhibit some form of greed in their life, mine manifests itself when fishing, I want to catch every fish. A balance between greed and generousity is best.<br /><br />What is the definition of greed? My daughter has both dictionarys at school.

one more cast

Captain

Pronunciation: 'grEd<br />Function: noun<br />Etymology: back-formation from greedy<br />: excessive or reprehensible acquisitiveness : AVARICE <br /><br />Pronunciation: 'a-v&-r&s, 'av-r&s<br />Function: noun<br />Etymology: Middle English, from Old French, from Latin avaritia, from avarus avaricious, from avEre to crave -- more at AVID<br />: excessive or insatiable desire for wealth or gain

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

I don't think it was greed I think it was human nature. If I was walking threw a store and seen somthing priced at 1/3 of what I new it would bring without any effort I would buy all in stock or at least what my wallet would allow with the intention of turning a profit.<br /><br />I do think it was stupid based upon the law, but I also think it is a law is a stupid one.<br /><br />Why are you allowed to sell your boat, car, house, etc for a profit bassed on what the market says it is worth but heaven forbid ya sell a ticket to a sporting event for what it is worth...I don't think anyone here would sell there house or property knowing they were obnly allowed to sell it for what they gave for it or less.