Great Boating Season Stats

four winns 214

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Today, I finished winterizing my two boats- a 1984 21' Sea Ray cuddy and a 2002 21' Four Winns deckboat. All went smoothly.

It was a great season. The weather and water conditions were nice all season. I keep a simple log on my iPhone and here are the numbers:

Sea Ray- 63 hours on 29 boating days
Fours Winns- 32.5 hours over 20 boating days

The almost double hours on the Sea Ray is the result of that boat being used on longer river trips. The Four Winns is used like a typical deckboat- water sports and hanging out on the hook, swimming and such.

Here's to next year!

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Wow 95.5 hours. Here on The Great Lakes where we boat, 95% on Erie because of the wind this year I only put in 30 hours, maybe, of on water time. Where do you boat if I may ask? We are calling this the season that never was here on Erie with this wind. It was terrible here on the North Shore, just terrible. I don't think I went through less 2 tanks of fuel for my 115 OB. We fish, it was the worse season for us in recent memory. Simply put the water temperatures were just too high. I dropped a thermocouple on a downrigger in August, surface temp was 75F, at 65 feet deep I marked 72F on bottom.

Last edited:

four winns 214

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Yeah, I left out some important details:

Much of my boating is on the Ohio River just upstream from Louisville, Ky. I have slip at a marina 10 minutes from my house so the number of boating days is increased because of the ease of use the slip provides. The Sea Ray stays in it the most because it's bottom painted. I also towed the boats to western Kentucky for trips on Kentucky Lake and Lake Barkley.

I took two fairly long river trips in the Sea Ray, to Cincinnati and back and a 128 mile one-way to Frankfort, Ky via the Ohio and Kentucky rivers. The four locks on the Kentucky River, from its confluence with the Ohio at Carrollton, Ky to Frankfort, have been rehabilitated by the Kentucky River Authority and reopened Friday-Sunday (and Monday on holiday weekends) from Memorial Day through the end of October. It's a nice trip.

Last edited:

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
There was one season we didn't get out on the river one single time due to heavy rains and flooding. The debris in the rivers can get downright dangerous, and the ramps unusable. This past season we managed to get out a good bit, even camped on the river for several days.
The trip to Cincinnati is on our agenda for next season for sure.