Greasing Wheel Bearings

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I've had Sure Lube axles before. Slick way to grease the bearings. I thought our 2019 Karavan had them as well, but when I did my winterizing today I'm not so sure.

The rubber caps said to remove them to grease the bearings. The caps were also monogrammed "UFP". Inside there was what looked like a grease fitting, but it was flush, not like a protruding nipple that you could attach a regular grease gun to.

The visible grease was red, if that makes any difference.

What do I have? What type of grease gun fitting do I need?

ahicks

Captain
You probably have already, but wondering if you wiped it down with a rag for a better look? Did you try putting a grease gun on it?

Maybe consider changing the fitting?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I have a grease fitting on the end of my shaft.

Load-rite Sup-R-Lube

Rotate tire while pumping in new grease. Continue until clean grease is coming back out.

Covers don’t mean much. Lost a ton of them over the years. Keep a couple of caps and a handful of rubber inserts in the back of the truck as spare.

I use TSC disc brake (red) grease.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
You probably have already, but wondering if you wiped it down with a rag for a better look? Did you try putting a grease gun on it?

Maybe consider changing the fitting?

Nothing to wipe down. After removing the rubber cap its perfectly clean inside. Just barely a hint of grease. The fitting seems to be flush with the end of the spindle. I touched the end of my grease gun to it, but since it couldn't lock onto a nipple all it did was squirt grease out.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I have a grease fitting on the end of my shaft.

Load-rite Sup-R-Lube

Rotate tire while pumping in new grease. Continue until clean grease is coming back out.

Covers don’t mean much. Lost a ton of them over the years. Keep a couple of caps and a handful of rubber inserts in the back of the truck as spare.

I use TSC disc brake (red) grease.

I also have a grease fitting on the end as well, but it doesn't mate with my gun. I can't rotate the tire because i can't put grease in. I didn't lose the cover, I merely reported what was written on it.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Karavan uses Chevron / Texaco Starplex 2 grease, its lithium based.
Well, at least thats whats in my two trailers.

UFP is a vendor product line, made by Dexter, also known as Dexko Global.
Karavan buys Hubs, brake drums, actuators, disc brakes, and axles from them.
E-Z Lube, , Nev-R-Lube, Trailer Buddy, Vault Hybrid, are some of their products.

Ok, have you checked both spindles for a zerk ?
My 2 Karavan trailers have pressed in zerks. Could be they forgot to put one in, or it fell out?

I have actually pulled the zerk out with my grease gun, keep a package of replacements in the truck now.

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
UFP is "Unique Functional Products" now a part of Dexter

they make hubs and brakes and the hidden tongue actuator head.

when you get bearings and seal, get them from UFP as they are a slighly different size than everyone elses.

google UFP vault hybrid lubrication system

ahicks

Captain
I don't have anything real new, and I'm struggling to picture a grease fitting that I can't get a grease gun on, especially one on a Dexter axle. Does anyone have a pic of this arrangement?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
It is entirely possible the existing Zerk has been broken off when being installed and there never has been grease in the bearing. Check the other side.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
The first picture is the hub of my 2017 Karavan. You can see its got a "standard" zirc mounted on the end of the axle spindle. It protrudes about 1/4" and thus is easily attached to a grease gun. Also visible in the picture is the bent over cotter pin.

The second picture is the 2019 trailer. It also has what appears to be a grease fitting mounted on the end of the spindle. The fitting only extends out about 1/16" plus its dished and wider than a grease gun fitting.

How do I grease this axle?

PA080220web.jpg

PA080218web.jpg

robert graham

Admiral
It is entirely possible the existing Zerk has been broken off when being installed and there never has been grease in the bearing. Check the other side.

Like Silvertip said, Sorta looks like it may have broken off...try to remove it....it'll either be pressed in or threaded, so try to back it out with a twisting motion....

Fed

Commander
A quick google says it's called a button head grease nipple, should be able to get an adapter or pull it & replace with a normal one. No hex on it so probably press in.

robert graham

Admiral
Probably help a lot to remove the wheel and the metal dust cap so you can work on it....wonder why the factory would install 2 different types of zerks on the same trailer?....anyway a tap with a chisel and a hammer should remove it and then just press in a new normal fitting....

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
You need to use a needle adapter on your grease gun

Ding ding ding....correct answer.

You learn something new every day. Since nobody here seemed to have an answer, I did what I usually say to others when there is an unknown....call the manufacturer. What a concept!

Apparently, the axle and brake assembly is wide enough that they couldn't find a dust cap big enough to cover a regular zirc. So, they put on the one you see in my picture. Their Engineering Dept. said I need a grease gun fitting to fit a needle zirc.

No, it's not a button head - looks nothing like that. And, if you READ the post, the pics were from different trailers, not 2 oddities on the same trailer.

The parts are on order. Thanks for the help.

ahicks

Captain
Let us know what you think about that set up after you get the stuff together to service it. Never seen a fitting like that, but I have a small needle grease gun. I use it when I'd like to use grease on something that will allow about an 1/8" hole. No fitting involved. I just us the tapered point of the fitting to force grease into/through the 1/8" hole.

robert graham

Admiral
I have a grease needle for my gun but always thought it was for injecting grease under grease seal lips or other inacessible places....never knew there was a special zerk just for a needle.....live and learn here!!

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Let us know what you think about that set up after you get the stuff together to service it. Never seen a fitting like that, but I have a small needle grease gun. I use it when I'd like to use grease on something that will allow about an 1/8" hole. No fitting involved. I just us the tapered point of the fitting to force grease into/through the 1/8" hole.

A LockNLube "Narrow Needle Dispenser" did the trick. It's an 1/8" wide pin with a tapered end, not the kind that looks like a hypodermic needle. The pointed end was just the right size to depress the ball in the fitting.

Worked like a charm, although it took 10x more pumps than a regular zirc. I see no advantage and only minor disadvantage. It is what it is. Got the job done anyway.

ahicks

Captain
10x pumps was my concern, but agree, it is what it is. Anything beats no zerk!