Greasing the Gimbal bearing - When do I stop pumping???

Wave thumper

Seaman Apprentice
Thread starter
Joined
Apr 13, 2012
Messages
37
Like the title says, when do I stop pumping grease into the bearing? I can't see the bearing? SO I have no idea if it has enough grease.

sorry if this is a stupid question.
 

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander
Joined
Dec 6, 2005
Messages
1,928
Re: Greasing the Gimbal bearing - When do I stop pumping???

I always put grease in when the drive is off and I pump it in until clean grease comes out all the way around the bearing. You need to remove the drive to check the alignment, so it's a prefect time to do it.
 

wrestling coach

Petty Officer 1st Class
Joined
Jun 27, 2011
Messages
210
Re: Greasing the Gimbal bearing - When do I stop pumping???

Not a stupid question. Nobody can really see the results of the grease being pumped to the Gimbal bearing short of taking the drive off. So with that said I am maintaining a 1982 Merc 470 and here is what I'm doing. I had a new Gimbal bearing and impeller put in the drive in April of 2012. In the fall of 2012 when the boat was pulled out for the season I put 10 pumps of this Green Grease | The Best Grease Money Can Buy! in it and put it away for the winter. I will run this summer 2013 and I will repeat this this fall 2013. Then in the spring of 2014 the drive will come off and I will be able to see the condition of the Gimbal and u-joints and do any maintenance then. Also a new impeller at that time as well. So I'm doing an inspection and impeller change every two years.

Dennis
 

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Joined
Aug 31, 2004
Messages
62,321
Re: Greasing the Gimbal bearing - When do I stop pumping???

That is why you should pull the drive for winterizing, to make sure there is no water in the bellows. You don't want water setting in a bellows all winter do you?
Plus if there are other problems, you have all winter to fix them.
 

Wave thumper

Seaman Apprentice
Thread starter
Joined
Apr 13, 2012
Messages
37
Re: Greasing the Gimbal bearing - When do I stop pumping???

great advice, thanks
 
Top