grease's lube's and adhesives ? seals and more seals

fishinrado

Petty Officer 2nd Class
98 alpha one gen 11 stern drive on merc. 3.0 .........
replacing all the seals in the shift shaft and drive shaft housings,,,,noticed a heavy green (adhesive) ? on the upper shift shaft spring seal and was wondering what it is and what is recommended ? ( was hard to get out) .
I also see grease on the round rubber seal in the lower unit housing that the shift shaft plastic housing goes in so just curious what type of grease to use if any? also what to use for the two back to back spring seals that go in the bottom of the drive shaft seal and if the seal itself (plastic unit with rubber seal around perimeter) is just pressed in or it's suppose to have some type of grease/adhesive /teflon type product?
also what should be used on the gaskets of the water pump itself? i see all sorts of conflicting info as approaches have changed in some of the older threads.
I know allot of ?'s so thanks for any input!

Hoosmatroos

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: grease's lube's and adhesives ? seals and more seals

Can't say anything about the grease/adhesive without a picture but can say that you don't use anything on the gaskets of the water pump. Do you have a manual?

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Re: grease's lube's and adhesives ? seals and more seals

some seals come with a grean sealant from the factory on the outside diameter, one in particular that comes to mind is the large yoke seal in the upper half

if the seals are clean on the outside diameter, blue loctite works fine for installation

quicksilver 2-4-c grease on all seal lips after installation

the water pump gasket underneath the base plate gets perfect seal, nothing on the housing gasket

perfect seal on any o-rings during assembly