Grease fitting sizes

FingerLaker

Seaman Apprentice
HI again all, yet another newbie question: As I come to the end of my first year boating, I really want to hit all the lubrication spots on my Force 85 and the Clymer has nice close-ups of all the fittings. BUT: my standard automotive grease gun I use for all-round stuff is too large by just a bit. The Clymer never actually mentions the fitting specifically. Is there a universal boating mechanical size fitting that is smaller, and what is a good source for the fitting head? OR, do these really vary by manufacturer? Thanks so much for attention to this trivia!

Happy Boating!

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I can’t remember ever running into a grease fitting a standard gun didn’t fit.

Have you tried adjusting the tip on your grease gun? Most are adjustable

dwco5051

Commander
I agree with dingbat. I have never seen anything other than a standard zerk fitting on an outboard. I have equipment that gets geased every day it is used and have had to replace a worn fitting rarely. This is usually on pivot pins that have become tight and it takes a lot of extra pressure to force the grease in and the jaws dig into the fitting but I can't imagine that ever happening on a outboard. See if your coupler can be adjusted tighter. If not try one of these and let me know how they work as I am to cheap to get one myself without feedback from someone who actually used one; https://locknlube.com/products/locknlube-grease-coupler

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Tighten the coupler on your grease gun. The zirk nipples are all the same size

FingerLaker

Seaman Apprentice
OH, Duh. Thanks all, will do. I've never had to do it, and didnt think of it as my head is so greasy from using in on non-fitting quick lubes, mostly on bikes. I'll clean her off and adjust. Thanks for the tips! Happy Boating all!