Grady transom repair

mikgo61

Cadet
Hey there Y'all, So I have a 190 tournament that termites have devoured the wood in the transom. I am considering using Carbon Core s Carbon Bond pourable transom.
Has anyone used this? And How did it work for you? Any advice would be appreciated!

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Hey there Y'all, So I have a 190 tournament that termites have devoured the wood in the transom. I am considering using Carbon Core s Carbon Bond pourable transom.
Not familiar with this specific product but "Sea Cast" has been around for a number of years with good reviews

stresspoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade
if termites have got into the transom then you can be sure that they have eaten the rest of the wood in he hull.

I'm not sure i would use a pourable snake oil for a core on a transom that has to hold a heavy motor and the stresses that go with it.
on a light boat with a small motor say less than 50hp i would consider it , anything more than that i would be taking the transom apart and rebuilding.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I'm not sure I'd call pourable composite transom material 'snake oil' since SeaCast has been used successfully for quite some time, but I do agree that if the transom is termite-ridden, your stringers probably are, too.

briangcc

Commander
Miss Morgan and Fuugly by archbuilder (he still around??) are two boats I know of here that have used SeaCast extensively. I'm sure there are others.

I know nothing of the Carbon product but if its similar makeup I would expect similar results.

stresspoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I'm not sure I'd call pourable composite transom material 'snake oil' since SeaCast has been used successfully for quite some time, but I do agree that if the transom is termite-ridden, your stringers probably are, too.
i probably used the wrong wording "snake oil ". as i posted the pourable would be a great solution with a small boat with little HP.

personally i prefer to do a proper repair when it comes to boats no mater what the size.
a transom on a boat is a structural member and should always be treated as such when contemplating a repair,
hanging a high output motor on a transom that has been rotted or in the OPs case eaten away and not taking it apart to investigate for further damage is slack IMO, who knows how far those pesky critters have eaten into the boat.
using a pourable solution may well work as an interim solution for a lake or river boat but there is no way i would risk going out to sea in a patched up hull that has not been taken apart to check the extent of damage / missing bits.
i look at it this way when ever i repair a boat , unlike motor vehicle where if a repair fails you can just park up and walk or run away, if a fix fails at sea the boat no longer floats and you have to swim or sink

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
if you had termites, you are in for a full re-hab as those wood eating little things have eaten your stringers, etc. as well.

mikgo61

Cadet
So Thanks for your replies. I have already removed the outer skin of transom and cleaned out the termites and rotted wood. There was an inner skin of fiberglass and termites couldn t penetrate stringers. Thank God for that. I appreciate the option on Sea Cast. It s about the same price as Carbon bond.
As far as strength goes

Attachments

• nidabond_chart1.gif
    nidabond_chart1.gif
    6 KB · Views: 5

airshot

Vice Admiral
I have witnessed a transom failure on more than one ocassion...the first time the owner did not realize the transom was rotten, the second time was a transom that had been repaired by the owner...he made it stronger than new !!! Not a pretty sight, and with a transom failure, you loose everything !!

mikgo61

Cadet
This is not my first transom repair and am quite skilled in fiberglass but am liking how a pourable transom would be way better than marine plywood. After all from the factory they used wood and it failed. Carbon bond is a ceramic sphere resin and cannot stand up to 200lbs dropped from 20ft and is inferior to Sea Cast for strength. So I will be using Sea Cast. Thank you dingbat!

mikgo61

Cadet
Correction...my dislexic self...Here s the drop test results
1686843439735.png

Last edited:

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
I used arjay6011 only thing I did do was added chopped strands to it just so it had fibers like seacast, never had any issues and if the **** hadn't got so expensive I'd use it again, that said on my rebuild I'm going back all wood just because built wrong the wood lasted 30 years , I'll be surprised if I got 30 years left in me lol

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I am using composite hockey sticks ( carbon fibre / graphite ) for a transom repair.----Very strong and light weight as they are hollow.----Do not taste like wood and will not rot.