Grades of aluminum for tinny resto work?

SuperGrover

Seaman Apprentice
Hey guys - just wondering how picky any of you restorers have gotten when getting aluminum for your boats. Have you just gotten the stock 'L' from Home Depot (for example) or have you looked high and low for 5052 grade sheeting? Have any of you regretted your desicions? I know that the different grades have different corrosion resistance and workability factors. Curious what your experiences have been. Thanks for any feedback!

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant
Re: Grades of aluminum for tinny resto work?

Fresh or salt water? Mine is exclusively salt water. I purchase 5052 sheet/plate from a local metal supplier and fabricate what I need.

Why? Because that's what the boat is made of and it has held up very well over the past 30+ years.

SuperGrover

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the input minuteman. It'll be freshwater.

I tend to agree with you and for the same reasons. Having said that I've been known to be too picky for my own good so I thought I'd ask.
Someone here has a line on their signature tag that says something like, 'a job overdone is a job well done' or something like that... :)

Does anyone else have any ideas or different opinions?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I have found and used old street signs...... very tough stuff. Hit up your local municipal garage and ask.