GPSMAP 76

llfish

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Purchased a new Garmin GPSMAP 76 on e-bay. It looks new and all of that stuff. Came with out any manuals. My problem is that it does not show any highway maps. The only thing that it showes is two wavepoints called dock. Simulator is turned off. Tried a friends manual but options are different. Is there an easy way to get the highway maps to show? Could the map be deleted? Is there a factory reset?<br /><br />Thanks in advance for any and all help.<br /><br />Larry Fish :eek: :eek:

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: GPSMAP 76

I think you can download the Owner's Manual from the Garmin International website, Larry.<br /><br />Not much good without the Manual.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

ThomWV

Well, how to explain this. How about the simple way.<br /><br />It sounds like someone, presumably the previous owner, loaded his own maps into the machine. The machine has a limited memory and part of it is devoted to what they call the base map. When you loade in other area maps from one of the MapSource disks (Blue Charts are a subset of the Map Source system) it deletes your basemap first. So then when the person sold it to you they probably went ahead and deleted the area maps they had loaded in. Because the base map was automatically delted by the machine and apparently the additional maps were deleted by the previous owner that left you with no maps at all. That sucks.<br /><br />Well, its not so bad. Just got the the Garmin site and click on Marine Products and then, if I remember where its located correctly, just go to the GPSMap-76 information page and it will have a link to allow you to download the Base Map, which you can then load back into your machine using the data transfer cable that should have come with the GPS. Also, as long as you are going to be in the downloading business, take a look at the version number of the software in your hand held. If its not up to date go ahead and download the latest version while you're at the Garmin site and load that into your GPS too. Of course you could go ahead and buy whatever set of the Map Source stuff you wanted if you want any detail worth mentioning on your machine. If its street maps you want get the USA Roads and Recreation set, it has every Interstate, major road, minor road, dirt road, lane, and alley in the country on it. Very handy.<br /><br />Thom

llfish

Thanks for the good info. I think I can put to good use the USA Roads and Recreation set.<br /><br />Thanks<br /><br />Larry

llfish

Found the base map. It was still on the unit. Downloaded a manual which is not a lot of help.<br /><br />One last question. Can the unit be set up tp display the base map each time the unit is turned on?<br /><br />Thanks<br />Larry

SingleShot

Petty Officer 2nd Class

When viewing the map page, select menu once to bring up the menu map page options. Select the Map tab, under there you will see Basemap, Mapsource and other selections. You need to set the basemap to on. Then the unit will display the base maps. What version of the firmware is loaded into the unit? I beleive the latest version for the map76 is 3.8. You can down load this from garmins web sight as the previous post mentioned. <br /><br />JK

llfish

Is a garmin gpsmap 76 the same as a gpsmap 76c or gpsmap 76cs. The garmin web page does not show a gpsmap 76. There are two new vir. for the gpsmap 76c ver 3.43 beta and 3.30. Which ver. would I download if the gpsmap 76c is the same as gpsmap 76.<br /><br />Thanks for the help<br />Larry

ThomWV

There are a couple of different versions of the 76.<br /><br />There is the Plain Garmin GPS-76, which does not have any maps at all, other than that it will have navigation aids in it. The next verson is the GPSMap-76. The Map-76 has a rudimentry basemap and has memory to allow loading in more detailed mapping of the owner want's to buy the appropriate CD's to get it. A suprisingly large area can be held in the memory. For instance I use mine in my truck all the time (I have a power cord for it and its held with velcro right against the windshield column) and then on the boat as a backup when we go out. I have road maps loaded in it that covers all of the countys surrounding Pittsburgh, PA, and then south to northern West Virginia, then every county in Western Maryland, then all the way down through virginia from Winchester to Richmond and then to the east to the Hampton Roads area, and then south for the entire coast of North Carolina. See what I mean by a suprisingly large area? I do not have nautical charts loaded into it because I have BlueChart on the data cassette for my other chartplotter. OK, after the Map-76 there is the GPMMap-76S, which is the same as the Map-76 but with more memory and a built in magnetic compass and barometric altimeter. Then, just recently (within the last couple of months) they came out with the GPSMap-76C, which is a color verson of the Map-76. I believe this one may have the altimeter and compass as well. I do not know very much about the new models so I may have that part off but you can go to the Garmin site and see all of the models. They also have a comparison feature so you can pick the models yu are interested in and it will list every feature of all of them side by side so you can see how they differ.<br /><br />I sould just mention something about that. A GPS does not know which way it is pointing, it can only calculate only which way it is moving. Also, the altimeter feature of the plain GPS is its least accurate function. To put it honestly its worthless. So they put in a real compass and added an altimeter that works in the most expensive of the models. To be absolutly honest about it there are very few people who need those two features.<br /><br />Thom

Boatist

Rear Admiral

llfish<br />Make sure you download the right version or you will destroy your unit. I agree with most of what Thom said. GPSMAP 76C is a color version of the GPSMAP 76. The GSMAP 76CS is the color Version of the GPSMAP 76S. I think the elevation of the GPSMAP 76 is very good as long as you have at least 4 satellites. Mine is with in 100 feet and that is good enough for me. As far as the electronic compass I am not sure you need it, My GPSMAP 76 will give you a heading before I can complete 3 steps. The base map in MY GPSMAP 76 has all the buoy navigation aids for Pacific ocean and also has all major highways.

llfish

Thanks Your info. helped. I am just a little slow! My wife tells me I am allergic to manuals.<br /><br />There are several lakes in Tn. that are well marked untell some smart *** removes the signs. If you get on the wrong side of the island you can go for hours before you discover it. Can reck a good day of fishing and eat up a lot of gas.<br /><br />Thanks<br />Larry Fish