GPS - Standard Horizon CP 180i

bulletine

Cadet
Re: GPS - Standard Horizon CP 180i

I have the 180 w/external antenna. It works great and was easy to install. It is small and you should carefully consider this fact. I got it for my tuna tower, this way it serves as a second GPS.

Gfriedman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Perfect, thanks for the feedback. This seems to be the best bang for buck unit.

On the DSC feature, it says that the unit will work with ant Standard Horizon VHF.

Will it not work with other brands?

bulletine

Cadet

DSC, Yes. The directions are very clear and I started to connect it to my
Uniden, but have not finished because i am trying to trace the wires from the radio. I got on another project.

Gfriedman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Did you have to buy maps with the unit or it came preloaded?

I believe this unit comes with a base map but it also uses C-Map nav cards. I recommend getting the C-Map Max card. Really nice product. I have a CP-1000 w/C-Map Max card. Excellent features and coverage detail.

The NEMA connection for the DSC will work for any NEMA compatible device (VHF).

I agree with Bull in that you should get the bigest display you can fit/afford. Good luck and have fun looking.

Gfriedman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

What the difference between the C-Map card, and the base maps on the GPS?

C-Map cards are roughly $250 for my area, does this seem right?

bulletine

Cadet

You need C Map, I got the "Max" SD card version. This way I can use the SD Card in another GPS. Without the C Map, all I have seen is a road may type of picture, no navigation data.

bulletine

Cadet

Meant to say road map. This is what i get when the C Map is not inserted.

Gfriedman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

so i take it pretty much all of the GPS require you to buy a C-Map card or something similar in addition to the GPS?

Yeah unfortunately. Most of the better GPSs need a Nav card of some sort. $250.00 sounds about right for a C-Map card. I know not cheap...but the detail is very professional and top notch. This is sort of one of those "you get what you pay for" deals. The problem with GPSs are they are sold all over the world. So you need specific global data. Thus Nav cards. The Nav cards are also used to update the GPS's firmware. You can try to search for GPSs that have a more detailed built in map. Garmin probably has the most.

bulletine

Cadet

Now that we are on the subject of charts, you may want to explore your options. 3D is now available form Max Sea, I suspect others will follow suit soon. If you buy a C map, they then want to sell you the latest version that may or may not have upgrades. From my understanding, all these electronic charts are based on one source, NOAA. They then make enhancements, add port date, bridge info, etc.

Take a look at Max Sea, then look at C Mpa, via their web sites and you will see what I am referring too.

I have been holding off on buying a 10 inch GPS, and 10 Radar (want separate units) until I can figure who is going to have the best contour data. C Map is fine for navigation, but I really want to see the bottom contours. The Max Sea looks impressive, but it is only available for PC.

I think I have the facts right, if not, let me know. Thanks