GPS Advice on Purchase

scotiany

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: GPS Advice on Purchase

Rick, I got the e trex legend from GPS discount. It works great. I don't really mind the side buttons once I got used to them. It evens tells me how fast I'm walking. Can't wait to try it on the water. Might be a while though, we're supposed to get another 18" tomorrow.

kalan2000

Seaman Apprentice

I recently bought the Garmin Map76S over the Map76 for the following reasons:<br /><br />24 meg memory vs. 8 meg means more maps can be loaded in the unit at any time. FWIW, it doesn't take very long before 8 megs of memory is used up with the local maps. <br /><br />compass vs. no compass: sounds like a small item, but when you're dead in the water or standing still in the woods, it's nice to have your map oriented in the proper direction.<br /><br />I loaded the Metroguide street map and the Topo map. Unfotunately, it appears that only one or the other can be loaded at a time for a given sector or area. I had hoped that loading both would allow me to see the streets until I zoomed in closely to be able to see the terrain, but it doesn't work that way. The topo database has very good detail for inland waterways, including bouy numbers, marina phone numbers and some water hazards. (No water depth data like the bluewater chart.)<br /><br />Best of luck.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Kalan<br />Gpsmap 76S is a nice unit. Unit also has a Barometric Altimeter so can get elevation even if in a area where can not see 4 satelites. Only thing I did not like is battery only last 10 hours where the GPSMAP 76 last 16 hours. I was suprised how fast the 76 found directions, only have to take about 3 steeps and it is right on. Did you check your software level and make sure you have the latest. Not as many problems with the 76S but still several. Main reason to do it right away is when update will wipe out any waypoints you have entered. Check out the what is fixed with the different levels at this link.<br /><br />The first one is a beta so may want to wait until the test it a little more.<br /> http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsmap76s/download_beta.html <br /> http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsmap76s/download.html <br /><br />Here is the link for the GPSMAP 76 fixes also, this one fixes lots of stuff.<br /> http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsmap76/download.html

Beaux

Petty Officer 1st Class

boatist-<br />I dont think my 76s unit has the updated beta software on it. I guess I need to log on and check huh. As far as losing your waypoints, all you have to do is upload them onto whatever cartography program you use (bluechart,etc.) and save them before updating your gps unit. Thanks for the recent info on the updates. I will check mine when I get home today. I read on the handy litle garmin link you provided that the beta software increases your total waypoints to 1000 from the original 500. That's Sweet :cool:

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Beaux<br />I think Garmin does a good Job of supporting their customers. Many places come out with a new product and when they improve it you can not get that unless you buy the next years unit, but Garmin I think want to keep you happy. I have not got any of the extra cost maps yet but my unit has all the Buoys and light and road maps that are pretty good just not in that great a detail. I got it most for hiking and if go out on a party boat to capture where we fished. For the boat still useing my Loran C unit but useing the Garmin to record those waypoints and fishing spots. I will buy a fixed mount for boat some day.

magster65

Commander

Has anyone here in Canada (Vancouver Island) shopped around for the best price on a Garmin 76? We have a new West Marine store but at $369 there's no deal there. The best I can find is $329 from a local marine supply. Any thoughts?

Capn Mike

Chief Petty Officer

I would have said to try Consumers Marine Electronics: http://www.consumersmarine.com/index.cfm?menu=gps , but their price is $349 (US). Sounds like $329 (CAN) is a pretty good price.<br />Sure you don't want a C-Map compatable GPS? That's what most of the Puget Sound folks use (that I've seen)

magster65

Commander

Nah, I have charts. I actually ended up with that new Garmin 72. A bit less resolution and no ext. antenna. Perfect for what I need. $240.