GPS Advice on Purchase

RC Hammer

Seaman Apprentice
I am looking to buy a GPS with plotter. I do my boating on lake erie around the islands. My range is in the $400 area. Any one have any suggestions of what to buy if they have one.... what you, do or do not like about what you currently are using....do I go with a handheld or fixed mount?<br /><br />There are just so many choices that I would appreciate someone with experience.<br /><br />Thanks a lot! Merry Christmas!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: GPS Advice on Purchase

I highly recommend Garmin and the Mapsource enhancement firmware.<br /><br />I have had three, all excellent performers for the features they have.<br /><br />I used a GPS12MAP for several years and recently upgraded to a GPSMAP162 to get the bigger screen and memory.<br /><br />My first GPS was a GPS38. Very basic, no chart but useful and inexpensive.<br /><br />For your budget, I think the GPSMAP 176 series is what you want. Check with www.garmin.com.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

JB is on it! I just purchased a GPSMAP 76 and am waiting delivery on it(Hopefully today). I have done extensive research on the GPS units and have gotton great advice form other members here and I don't think you can go wrong with the 76. Nothing but praise form everyone! Below is just a couple of opinions:<br /><br /> web page <br /><br /> Garmin mapgps76

Beaux

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree completely with Jb and Rick......I chose handheld model for convenience and versatility but I must say JB's rec for a mounted unit would be nice for large screen visibility. The gpsMap76 is a great unit and unless you need the added memory and very slight increase in zoom resolution, you will not need the higher end gpsmap76S. I have 76s and love it but would definitely be able to use 76map with no real life changes in function. With either of those you will not go wrong. Good Luck

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Hammerhead,<br />This was the reply when I asked the same question. Very informative!<br /><br /> web page

scotiany

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Rick, what do you think of the Garmin e trex legend. They've got a $50 rebate till the 31st. I think I'm going for it. All I really want is a speedometer/odometer.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

scotiany <br />I was going to get that model also, but I prefer the buttons up front. Other than that, I think it would be a great unit from what I have researched. Go for it!! Merry X-mas<br /><br />PS- Check here for some pretty good prices! Fast delivery!!<br /><br /> gpsdiscount.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

HammerHead<br />I like the Garmin units as well. Last June I got a GPSMAP 76 and like it very much.<br />Really first thing you need to deside is if you want a fixed mount or handheld. If you are only going to use it on the boat I would go with the fixed mount. I got the handheld because I also want to use it hiking and anytime I go out on a party boat deep sea fishing to capture the fishing spots for the trip. The GPS MAP 162 and the GpsMap 182 are nice units but the 182 has a larger screen so it cost more. The 182 also has more waypoints 3000 instead of 500 for the 162. 500 should be enough for me as my old 1984 Loran C unit only had 100 and still have about 5 left.<br />Handhelds I like the GPSMAP 76 or the GPSMAP 176. The 176 can actually be mounted like a fixed unit as well.<br />The fixed mount have bigger screens you can turn the light on for night time and the light level is adjustable so can turn down to see ahead better. My handheld you can turn the light on but only has one level, on or off and after about 30 seconds it turns back off to save the batteries. Runs about 16 hours on 2 AA batteries. <br />I have used mine on the boat, hiking and in the car. Really to use in the car or on the boat should get one of the mounting brakets and a power cord. If you get the mounting bracket and power cord the handheld that was cheaper now cost the same or more. Every unit I have seen works great. As far north as you are I am not sure if the WAAS satelite over the equator will be able to be picked up but I would still make sure your unit has WAAS as does not add to the cost. If you can not pick them up accuracy is about 9 meter at best. If can recieve WAAS signal then accuracy inproves to about 3 meters or 10 feet at best.

trollhole

Chief Petty Officer

Well I was looking at this post and thought I would put in my 2cents.<br />Garmin 76 or 76s is a great product. And the avaliable maps for it are truley awesome. But I would have to say that I would stray away from a handheld if I was to soely use it on my boat.<br /><br />First of all is the size of the screen is small compared to fix mounts. If you are going to be traveling at night the last thing you want to be doing is trying to look at a small screen trying to see where you are going. Instead you could just take a glance at a big screen and know where you are. <br /><br />Now I'm not familliar with all the gadgets Garmin 76 has but I don't think you want the light going out to save batteries when it is what you are depending on to show you the way home.<br /><br />Third batteries batteries batteries. Now I have owned a handheld GPS(lowrance globalmap 100) and maybe the newer ones have a better battery life expectancy but mine would suck them dry in a few hours with the backlight on.<br /><br />Fourth is the mounting system. Mine was good for holding my unit when in calm to moderatly heavy surf. But you pack in some good 6 to 8 foot swells at 15 or 20 mph and you can forget it holding that unit. I lost mine a few times. And it's never fun having to find it and try to tell someone to hold the wheel and go look for it in the back( which by the way in that kind of weather the boat has a lot of water in the back so it's just floating around.)<br /><br />Fifth and this is a reason to buy a garmin handheld. Small easy to carry. Portable, Have great software. Great for marking your favorite routes and fishing spots during the day. And if you have it mounted right in front of you about two feet away from your head it's not hard to see where you are going. And definetly get a 12v pover cord for it so you can plug it up to your boat battery so you can keep the light on. And invest in the Blue Chart you will not be disappointed.<br /><br />I have a 17 foot center console and use a Lowrance LCX15-MT gps/plotter/sounder. (because of lack of space.) :D

I boat in the Port Clinton area and I've had a Standard Horizon CP150 GPS for a couple of years now. Its right in the $400 price range and I've never found anything as good for the money. It works with C-Map NT cartridges.

Beaux

Petty Officer 1st Class

trollhole& boatist make good points, but here are a few additions at least when concerning a Garmin Gps 76S:<br /> 1. you can set the backlight timer to one of a few time settings OR it can be set to be "on" continuously. (you will need 12v powercord for this if running for a long time.) <br /> 2. the mounting system for garmins actually has a slide lock system that once engaged will prevent the gps unit from coming out of the mount. This prevents the accidental bounce out of its holder. So dont worry about losing one in heavy seas or when running hard. Otherwise, screen is smaller, software is fantastic (bluehcart), and portable is nice if neede for car or hunting/camping. GOod luck

RC Hammer

Seaman Apprentice

Guys,<br /><br />Thanks for all of the informative repliews! I have been gone for a few days and have not had a chance to see the replys. All are very informative. I am going to look at the difference in price between the Garmin 162 fixed mount and the 76 handheld. The thing I like aboout the fixed mount is the fact that it has the larger screen. The beauty of the handheld is that you can take it any where. <br /><br />Thanks Again for all the info!

RC Hammer

Seaman Apprentice

I was looking in my west marine catalogue, and it looks like you need to buy the cables to download the maps into the gpsmap76 and even the 162. Is this correct or do they come with the cable that you use to hook up to your pc to download the info off of the cd rom?<br /><br />It looks like they are an extra 30 bucks! What a racket!! :mad:

Mumblerone

Petty Officer 1st Class

Check it out on the website...I think you find the PC cable comes with the unit, I can't remember. The site will tell you or e-mail Garmin. ;) Go to www.GPSdiscounts.com too, great place to buy also.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Hammerhead<br />The GPSMAP 76 comes with the cable to connect to your pc. In fact if your is like mine should you buy it that is most likely the first thing you will do. Mine was down several level of software updates. Many of the thing fixed with later version were important. All the down loads of GPSMAP 76 software are free. You can check their web site and see what each undate fixes. That was first thing I did when I got unit home and it did come with cable.

iwhitevt

Seaman Apprentice

Another possible reason to go with Garmin is their excellent warrenty coverage. technically it is only one year, but actually they will replace quite a bit after that. on the handhelds- i have the mount Beaux referred to, and have never had it fail- just yesterday, i was running 30mph w/ a 3-4' chop in my 18 footer and it never popped off the mount once. also here is link to inexpensive generic garmin cables-http://pfranc.com/cables/index.shtml

RC Hammer

Seaman Apprentice

I checked out the map76 at West Marine yeasterday. It is pretty sweet. The guy loaded the Bluechart data up on one of the color plotters and showed me what kind of detail the software gives. He said the only difference will be the smaller screen and the color. I think I am going to go with the MAP 76. They had it in the mount, and it seemed to secure it well. Has anyone used the sticky adhesive to mount? I would prefer not to drill holes, and was wondering how the adhesive worked.<br /><br />I found on gpsdiscount.com that they have a remanufactured unit for $265 - normally as stated earlier in the forum they run $305. Sounds like a great deal, and I think it comes with a factory warranty! Has anyone purchased a remanufactured unit?

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Hammerhead<br />I guess for me I would buy a new unit. West Marine is great to deal with but IBOAT beats their price. Rebuilt units should be as good as new but for me unless a big price difference I just feel like I am getting somebody lemon that could not be fixed so they replaced it. If you do get the GPSMAP 76 first thing I would do in check software level and update to latest version. Mine is set to version 2.09. That was current last June.<br /> http://www.garmin.com/support/download.html <br />Current version still 2.09. You can check your version and if 2.09 will be fine but if downlevel you can check what all the changes fixed or just download the current version. 2.09 fixed about 20 things.

jeff_nicholas

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you get tired of buying AA batteries while using your Garmin in the car, check Ebay for the cigarette power cord - even at 'Buy It Now' for $10.50, with $5.50 shipping it's a deal. I got the cig power and a cig power/data both shipped in the same 'Priority' box for 5.50. Now I can connect my laptop to the GPS and watch myself moving along in the car or boat on the 'big' laptop color screen.<br /><br /> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4668&item=1948985853