Got the carpet almost finished in my Starcraft this weekend!!!

rolander

Petty Officer 3rd Class
This weekend I started tearing my boat apart to do the interior. 1985 glass starcraft. I found some rotted subfloor, so I ripped the pieces out and made new ones. Then I fiberglassed the new wood pieces to seal them up and got some carpet laid. The bow will be this coming weekends project.

Sorry for the dark pictures. My shop lights are really dirty so it was pretty dim in there last night when I took these

Attachments

• boatinteriorbeforecarpet.jpg
    boatinteriorbeforecarpet.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Boat interior pics 001.jpg
    Boat interior pics 001.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Boat interior pics 004.jpg
    Boat interior pics 004.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Boat interior pics 005.jpg
    Boat interior pics 005.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Boat interior pics 006.jpg
    Boat interior pics 006.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 0

mjames76

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: My 85 Starcraft restoration. Some of the new carpet installed

That carpet looks good. I am still trying to decide what to cover my starcraft floor with.

rolander

Petty Officer 3rd Class

A few more pics

Attachments

• Boat interior pics 007.jpg
    Boat interior pics 007.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Boat interior pics 008.jpg
    Boat interior pics 008.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Boat interior pics 009.jpg
    Boat interior pics 009.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 0
  • boat interior pics 01.jpg
    boat interior pics 01.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 0
  • boat interior pics 02.jpg
    boat interior pics 02.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 0

rolander

Petty Officer 3rd Class

That carpet looks good. I am still trying to decide what to cover my starcraft floor with.

Thanks, I know carpet is a PITA to keep clean, but damn I love the look of nice carpet in a boat!!

MRS

Commander

Thanks, I know carpet is a PITA to keep clean, but damn I love the look of nice carpet in a boat!!

rolander, looks sweet excellent job keep them photos coming.:D:):D

rolander

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks man, I plan on getting the bow down this weekend and hopefully finishing the interior then too!!

rolander

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I got the interior almost finished. The carpet is done other then a few odds and ends small things, like covering the access doors on the back, I have to wire everything, and basically clean everything up. The main part is finished!!!

I converted the bow to a casting platform. It used to be a walk through bow with seats on each side and cushions on the back. I put the floor in and used plywood to wrap the sides with and carpeted. The back is really nice and open from where the inboard used to set.

The boat is not done yet, I will be repainted it too.

And some pics

Attachments

• Finished boat interior1.jpg
    Finished boat interior1.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Finished boat interior2.jpg
    Finished boat interior2.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Finished boat interior3.jpg
    Finished boat interior3.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Finished boat interior4.jpg
    Finished boat interior4.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Finished boat interior5.jpg
    Finished boat interior5.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 0

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Converting the front to a casting deck is in my plans for my Supersport. I intend to extend it right between the consoles too and turn it into rod storage up the center.

Nice job on the carpet.

ORBoater

Cadet
Re: Got the carpet almost finished in my Starcraft this weekend!!!

looks good

rolander

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Converting the front to a casting deck is in my plans for my Supersport. I intend to extend it right between the consoles too and turn it into rod storage up the center.

Nice job on the carpet.

Thanks man

I was toying with going between the consols too, but I am going to build a livewell in there in the future. So I left mine open there for now. I can slide rods up there and under the consols. I left the kick panels out below the consols which runs up into the front storage.

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander

what are you using for adhesive? and yep, it looks great!

rolander

Petty Officer 3rd Class

what are you using for adhesive? and yep, it looks great!

I used some indoor/outdoor carpet glue from Menards. It is a spread down kind where you trowl it onto the wood at a certain thickness. I was going to use the 3M Spray glue until I saw it is upwards 5 bucks a can now :eek:

A big pale of the spread stuff was 13 bucks. I did the whole boat with it. The plastic spreaders were a buck something a piece.

cedarjunki

Chief Petty Officer

I used some indoor/outdoor carpet glue from Menards. It is a spread down kind where you trowl it onto the wood at a certain thickness. I was going to use the 3M Spray glue until I saw it is upwards 5 bucks a can now :eek:

A big pale of the spread stuff was 13 bucks. I did the whole boat with it. The plastic spreaders were a buck something a piece.

pray it never has to come back out! my father replaced a 5'x5' or so 2 years ago.... i had to rip it up this year to refoam, boy was that a pain to say the least... the foam and glass work was easier than trying to pull up the carpet!

looks excellent though!

rolander

Petty Officer 3rd Class

pray it never has to come back out! my father replaced a 5'x5' or so 2 years ago.... i had to rip it up this year to refoam, boy was that a pain to say the least... the foam and glass work was easier than trying to pull up the carpet!

looks excellent though!

Yea your not kidding on that one!!!! I tried peeling back a corner after it was dry to see how tough it was, yea that carpet peeled back VERY hard. It's not going anywhere anytime soon!!! I figure a good scraper will get it back off if ever need be. I have no intentions of pulling it back out though. Hopefully this will last for years to come.

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander

looks excellent though!

that's exactly why I asked! I did one and then decided to take it out and OMG what a HUGE PITA to get the glue off... and a HUGE mess.

I'm seriously considering putting carpet in my current main boat again, but want to glue it down with something very different than last time...

Hope you like it! (and on the flip side, you're certainly not going to have to reglue it every other weekend....).

rolander

Petty Officer 3rd Class

that's exactly why I asked! I did one and then decided to take it out and OMG what a HUGE PITA to get the glue off... and a HUGE mess.

I'm seriously considering putting carpet in my current main boat again, but want to glue it down with something very different than last time...

Hope you like it! (and on the flip side, you're certainly not going to have to reglue it every other weekend....).

I am in the same boat as you ( no pun intended) I wanted something that won't come off every other weekend like that spray glue. Brother in laws boat has corners peeling back... On the other hand I think I should have used the glue a little more sparingly. I should have just glued spots and not the whole thing.

Had I did that I think it would come out a lot easier. You know do the edges and some spots in the center just to hold it rather then gluing the whole thing.

But like you said I don't think it will ever fall off or peel up on me LOL