Got my ISDN working last night. Cool!

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
After getting jerked around for 3 weeks by my "Account Representative" at the "full service" isp Concito Networks, I finally cancelled my account because I was never able to make an ISDN connection.<br /><br />I called a budget isp and got connected in less than 20 minutes, pay only $9.99 for unlimited dual line 128k digital service compared to $29.99 from Concito.<br /><br />Well, it is faster than dialup. A lot faster. But like any other service, if the server at the other end is slow to respond, you get slow response. Like connecting to iboats.com last night around 10:00pm est, more time is spent waiting for data to arrive than is spent on actually receiving data. I figured that would go away once I got off the ATT dial up server I was using. But I guess not.<br /><br />Anyway, ISDN is quick compared to dial up. And when used with one of the accelerators, it really cooks! <br /><br />Watching the ISDN router lights flash was cool. Its actually two digital 64k lines. I did notice that the second line often dropped when I wasn't surfing. Then when I would open a thread with pictures, wham! both lines light up, lots of little blinky leds flashing across the front! LOL! <br /><br />Then for the acid test.... Started a VPN, then did a remote desktop connection to my office. Cooooool. ISDN is fast enough to support full remote desktop. I was opening mail, browsing lans, connecting to the mainframe, all at speeds just a hair slower than if I was sitting at my desk. I did notice that the background wall paper on the desktop had a few missing postage stamp size spots. But I can live with that. High rez photos do slow it down a bit.<br /><br />But now I can work from home just like I am in the office. This is just too cool. Mark42 steps up to cutting edge technology of the late 1990's with ISDN and Remote Desktop! Wooo Hooo! :D :D :D <br /><br />Can you tell I'm happy with my new setup? :D

ndemge

Commander
Re: Got my ISDN working last night. Cool!

Very cool dude, you'll never go back!<br /><br />I used to pay about $140 a month for ISDN, I'd eat ramen for a month to afford it if I had to.<br /><br />Love my DSL now :)