Got Broadband!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
A neighbor has set up a wireless broadband net connection and I am customer number 7!<br /><br />This is waaaaay cool. :D <br /><br />I just click for a screen and POOF!! It's there.<br /><br />No more wait, wait, get half the screen, wait some more.

gaugeguy

Captain
Re: Got Broadband!

I don't know if that is good news JB, you'll be able to keep us in line in a fraction of the time you used to ;)

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

great news JB :D ... if anyone can take advantage<br />of it, u can. couldn't imagine life without it<br />myself! <br />enjoy new freedom,<br />M.Y.

ndemge

Commander

You've been doing this over a MODEM JB??<br /><br />Do you know what kind of connection he has coming into his place that he is serving out?<br /><br />We thought of doing this a few years back when there seemed no hope of DSL ever coming to us, glad we didn't now that DSL is here, wouldn't have recooped the cost in only a couple years.

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

Ahh, Broadband. You'll love it and wonder how you ever lived without it. <br />Bassy :D

Link

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by gaugeguy:<br /> I don't know if that is good news JB, you'll be able to keep us in line in a fraction of the time you used to ;)
Now thats scarey ;)

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

OMG!!!!!! EVERYBODY DUCK YER HEADS!!!! JB'S GOT A DECENT CONNECTION!!!!!! :D :D

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

Congrats JB. What system is your host using. My ISP offers the Motorola Canopy hardware for my broadband. Very fast, up to 5 meg, depending upon server/net load. Routine connections up and down 1.2 to 3.0 during normal server traffic.<br /><br />Congrats again!!!

JB

I ignored the technical details, Pat.<br /><br />I click for a screen and I get it, right now. That's all I need to know. :)

BR549

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Be sure to invest in a firewall - zonealarm is a good one that is available for free. There is a site called shields up that is pretty good at testing for open ports etc.. Congrats - You will never be able to go back to dial up now that you have had a taste of broadband

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by Ryan T.:<br /> Geeze!!!! After over 12thouand posts its about time!!! :D
Probably would have spent 1/1200 th of the time if he'd had it from the start. Maybe down in Tejas, life is just slower.<br /><br />Been said b4, JB, you'll look back and it'll be like comparing the horse and buggy to a Mercedes Benz.

aspeck

Staff member

I'm jealous! But not for long! The end of September will be getting DSL in Ghana and here in the States looks like Cable in a month or 2! Yippy!<br /><br />Actually very glad for you JB! Can't imagine you doing what you do on dial-up! Sounds like you will have more time for fishing!

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

Could you imagine JB's post count by now if he had broadband all this time? :D

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

Hey JB.......do you still love this broadband??????<br /><br />Man o man....I sure do!!!!!

JB

The jury's still out, Pat.<br /><br />I've been delayed a few times and cutoff a few times. GNASH! :mad:

11 footer

Lieutenant

Is "cutoff" when the whole 'putter freazes?<br /><br />What do you mean by delayed?

JB

Delayed is when a new screen takes 15 seconds to appear, cutoff is when I am temporarily off line, even when I am supposed to be.