Got Blasted By a Critter!!!

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Some of our folks will appreciate this.<br /><br />Tree fell over in back of the shop this morning....well...not the whole thing but some large branches. The thing is dead and hangs over the fence. Good part is it didn't hit any of the boats parked there but only by a slim margin.<br /><br />So me and the boy set about moving boats and cleaning up the branches and what not.<br /><br />Well......I found me a nest of ground hornets....or I should say they found me. Got two good ones on the back of the hand before I new what was going on. I'll live. Couple bottles of "meds" made the pain a little bearable. Hand was swollen but is on the way down. <br /><br />Anybody got any good remedies for stings and such other than Budweiser?? The nest is still there. Seems farily large from all the activity. Would like to get rid of them with out to much fuss. Thought about night time, gas and a match.<br /><br />Any suggestions?

jinx

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Got Blasted By a Critter!!!

I always make a paste of Baking Soda and water and apply generously to the sting area.<br /><br />Have used it for years and even the kids swear by it.<br /><br />Jinx<br /><br />PS, the efficacy of the remedy will be improved by a touch of Bud.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Try Anbesol, OBJ.<br /><br />If it will numb a hooked finger it ought to work on hornet stings.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

BR549

Petty Officer 3rd Class

For the stings bendryll always works for me. On the hornets you might try what I use for yellow jacket nests - get some of those indoor foggers ( Bengal or Raid comes to mind) and a wet towel, wait til after dark and open up the fogger can and put it spray end first into the hole then cover it with the wet towel. So far this seems to be the most effective method for killing the entire hive. I will admit it's not as fun as the gas but the older I get, the longer it took for my eyebrows to grow back

mrbscott19

Chief Petty Officer

You can get rid of them by sneaking up on their holes with a bottle filled with gasoline. Again, after sunset is the best time, when they are all at home. You just plug the hole with the bottle, the gas drains out, and the bugs die. Leave the bottle in place a few days. No need to fry them, the gas will do it on its own. Just make sure the entire hole is plugged or you'll be in for a big surprise!

BrianFD

Senior Chief Petty Officer

For the stings, use a paste of meat tenderizer. It will help to de-sensitize the affected area.<br /><br />
16_3_155.gif

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> I would use a mixture of 2 parts kahlua and one part vodka. apply orally as nessasary for several hours while waiting for dark. then ,despite all the little womans protests, go after them with the match and gas thing. for the burns aloe and beer work well. keep the cold beer container on the burn until it starts getting warm, chug it quick and get another.<br /> good luck and keep posting

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

in addition to the other remedies for insect stings allready given, I allways used a cigarette. Being a smoker, I allways had a pack-o-smokes in my top pocket. When me (or anyone with me) would get nailed, I would rip-open a cigarette, moisten a pinch of the tobaco, and hold it on the the site like a poltice. It werks like magic!<br />But these days, I would be in trouble, because I gave them up three years ago.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

OBJ, try spraying WD-40 on the nest. I had ant problems real bad in my shop. Didn't have any bug killer, so I used WD40. Killed them on the spot and they didn't come back. <br /><br />Since I found out that it works on ants, I have been using it on hornet nests in the HVAC units where they build. Works there to. Just a thought you might want to try.<br /><br />For the sting itself, I vote for the baking soda, it has always worked for me and my family.....

gaugeguy

Captain

Ran over a ground wasp nest with the lawnmower last year and got popped a couple times. I then drove the lawnmover directly over the nest and sucked most of them up into the bagger. I then went back at dusk with the WD-40 and killed the rest of them.<br /><br />As far as remedies, Budweiser always worked for me. (i before e, except in budweiser??)

tylerin

Commander

Yep, mud. Whip up some dirt and water and paste it on. Natures remedy :)

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

I think the cigarette idea is a good one. All you have to do is get a couple of them hooked - they'll convince the rest to take it up. Then just sit back and let good 'ol heart disease and lung cancer do the dirty work!<br /><br />Almost forgot, according to my friend, Joe, the best way to deal with ants is to put a couple of them in your belly button, fill it with gas, and set it on fire. When they try to escape, stab them with an icepick.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Now for the chemists amongst us.Hornet poison is just about the opposite of lemon juice on the PH scale.So take some lemon juice apply it on the sting and neutralize the poison.

bubbakat

Captain

Yep OBJ I knew you would finally play with the wrong critter. :D :D

wajajaja

Chief Petty Officer

for the sting use adolphs unflavored meat tenderizer. orally use benedryle ,for the nest i use the new raid wasp foam spray, sends a shaving cream foam about 20 feet, they cant fly out and get you on their last breath, and the returning bugs land in the goo and die, it evaps in about 15 mins.