Got a question on taking off the top on a tri hull magnum

leesumm

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I am back again with a question on a 1977 Magnum tri hull 15 foot open bow. I am trying to replace the stringers which the floor and stringers are rotten. I was going to replace up to the open bow part but the further I go the worse the wood is. So thinking now I need to do it right . There is a rubber rub rail where the top and bottom come together but the rubber is hard and brittle , when I try to remove it , it cracks. I can't find any information on this boat on the net or in any books. How is the rub rail connected to the boat? Screws or pop rivets and how do I successfully remove the rubber to use it again? I am thinking after all this is done the boat will outlast me so I plan on a little more than a first aid job but then not back to a show boat either. I have all the time and half the money for a complete restore job to show room condition. Attached are the pics when I got the boat and after getting to the rotten wood. So now I need help getting the top off.

Attachments

• my boat.JPG
    my boat.JPG
    69.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 2013-01-06 14.18.32.jpg
    2013-01-06 14.18.32.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 0

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Got a question on taking off the top on a tri hull magnum

Often a rub rail is attached wirh screws though I have seen blind rivets and bolts used. Saving the old rub rail may not be possible at 35 years old. There are lots of new styles made for the shoe box construction you have and that you can find to replace the old one. After the rub rail is off you will find another attachment method used to hold the cap to the hull including the fasteners mentioned above and maybe glue/fiberglass etc. Good luck and when your done you'll have a nice boat for many years to come.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Make sure and try not to bend or break the aluminum rail. They ARE hard to find and expensive to replace. There's LOTS of examples of Tri-Hull restos here on the forum for you to research. The first link in my signature below has some good info on how to replace Stringers, Decks, and Transoms. I'd really advise you to core sample your transom to ensure it's solid and not needing replacement

leesumm

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I got the rub rubber off, I heated it with a torch then it pulled right out of the aluminum rail. Figured out how to get the top off but I am not man enough or a place to take it off completely so I just propped up the front to get to what floor needs to be replaced which only goes about a foot under the top. From what I have seen on some pics of the forum and restoration, this boat isn't that good. There is only 3 stringers in the whole bottom and the floor is 3/8 or was. There was a lot of foam in the bottom and a lot of fiberglass mat to the stringers . So think I might put 1/2 inch floor in it and a lot of foam. If I do too good a job on it, it will outlast me and the person who gets it after me would have a good boat. I am not that generous in my old age . Transom looks pretty good and solid so it might stay as is.

mwe-maxxowner

Master Chief Petty Officer

The transom can look fine and be plum rotten. The transom on my first boat looked perfect. When I drilled my first core sample pure water poured out for a good second before mush came out. I don't want my motor hanging off a fiberglass skin.

eaglejim

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Leesumm good looking boat since you have the top disconnected find 3 friends and walk it off it is a whole lot easier to work on without the top, good luck