Got a new (to me) boat, what do you think?

TD_Maker

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Got a new (to me) boat, what do you think?

You Northern guys are very lucky. Down here in Florida, one would NEVER find a good clean boat like that. Most of the time, the Motors would be rust buckets, and the sun and elements would have rotted the hull long ago.

vess

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Bob- great little boat there. I have a 72 v156 with a 1961 75 hp johnson on it, and it has served me well. You will do great with that boat- just keep it maintained. For the cover, you can also look at getting a semi-custom cover from iboats or overtons. Measure your length and beam for the right fit. Most come with straps that go around the boat for trailering or keeping them from flapping in the wind at home on the trailer. I also installed snaps so I could use it in the water without the straps. I use fiberglass bows in the front and center of the boat to keep the rain running off- get ones that slide together in the center with a sleeve and they are easier to store when not in use. Very economical way to get a good cover and not spend $600 for a custom job. At the least you will buy some time until you decide what you want to do with it. I have a bigger boat now, but it is still nice to take out the Glastron periodically. Great way to get started boating- enjoy!

AguaSki

Chief Petty Officer

I use fiberglass bows in the front and center of the boat to keep the rain running off- get ones that slide together in the center with a sleeve and they are easier to store when not in use.

Good idea. I just place my inflatable tube that I tow the kids with in the bow to support the cover. I also have a ski pylon in the back that supports the cover. When it does rain (I live in AZ), the water just runs right off.

I love my 1978 Glastron SSV-188. I have a 140 hp Johnson that works really well. Enjoy!

hoytultratec

Cadet

i had the exact same boat with a merc 65 hp it was a fun boat but it had a rotten transom used it 2 summers sold it for 1000 bucks, your looks nice you will enjoy it.

hoyt

es_bob

Seaman Apprentice

There was one just like mine on ebay a few weeks ago, in Wisconsin too. And, it had a 65 hp merc on it. Maybe it was yours?