Got a new (to me) boat, what do you think?

es_bob

Seaman Apprentice
Hey guys. I just got a boat and just started boating a few weeks ago. Found this forum and looked like a good one to join.. so here I am. The boat is a 1974 Glastron v156 Sportster with an 85hp Johnson outboard. My Grandpa bought the boat brand new in 1974, then my Dad had it, and now I bought it from him.

Its in fairly good shape, has a few things I need to take care of. Take a look at the pics and let me know what you think. :)

glastron1.jpg

glastron2.jpg

glastron3.jpg

glastron4.jpg

magster65

Commander
Re: Got a new (to me) boat, what do you think?

Howdy and welcome.
Looks like it's in great shape... for it's age aspecially. Good stuff!

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Welcome aboard!! Nice old boat.It looks like it was well cared for.

This is the best boating forum on the web.....:)

es_bob

Seaman Apprentice

The boat was very well taken care of. It sat on a hoist out of the water most of the time it wasn't in use. It always had a canvas cover on it (which I need to get a new one of), and its a lot of fun to drive. Took it out today and yesterday and pulled skiers, and she tops at 46mph with just me in there.

I need to go to the other sections to post about my problems now :) Thanks for the kind words.

kmk_7110

Petty Officer 1st Class

Very Nice boat. Welcome to iboats. Have a nice stay.

hibbert6

Petty Officer 1st Class
Lucky Dog!

Lucky Dog!

I bought a VERY similar boat 10 years ago. Used it today! My thoughts:

1. DO keep it covered. Your interior, while gorgeous, is over 30 years old and will destroy itself quickly if left in the sun too much, or if it stays wet. (see #2)

2. Buy a real, form-fitting canvas boat cover. Canvas, while not waterPROOF, is water resistant, meaning that 95% will run off of it. It is also breathable, so the other 5% that gets in will also evaporate back out, and that's critical. (I tried the blue-tarp routine for a year and my interior got trashed by the elements. Had to replace a good-sized chunk of floor and all the carpet.) Because...

3. Be sure to keep your boat tilted back and leave the plug out during the rainy season - or you may find that 2 inches of water are on the floor of your boat - a month later!

4. Enjoy that outboard! Mine is only 65 hp. It will pull up a skier - barely - and pull tubes, etc, but I'd LOVE to have that 85hp!

Dave

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Lucky Dog!

great shape for the age, and super combination with that motor. maintain that motor properly and it will last and 30 years. when was the impeller last changed.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

So nice to see such a well maintained boat. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. 46 MPH is awesome for that boat.

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

great shape for the age, and super combination with that motor. maintain that motor properly and it will last and 30 years. when was the impeller last changed.

I have to agree with Tashasdaddy, You can have the most gorgious boat in the world, means nothing if she is not properly maintained, just keep on reading these forums and you will see what we mean. Welcome to Iboats. When our boat is happy, THEN we are happy.:D>>>Pat PS:Looks like your Grandfather & Father has set a good example of good boat keeping to follow, Maybe one day you'll be able to pass it down.

es_bob

Seaman Apprentice

I plan on taking great care of her just like my Dad and Grandpa have. I'd love to have it for another 30 years. I do have the boat tilted up and the plug is always out of it when not in use.

I'd like to get a nice canvas cover made for it, but I have no idea where to go for that. Right now it has a generic cover from walmart. Its breathable but it doesn't fit quite right. The boat has gone through 3 canvas covers in its lifetime (as it sat on the boat hoist all summers, the sun took a toll on the covers). The lady that used to make the covers for us has since last cover, past away. I think my Dad has the last canvas cover (its ripped and ugly), could I mail that somewhere and have them remake it?

I don't know when the impeller was last changed. I know that around the year 2000, the lower unit was rebuilt with new gears. I'm still learning about these motors and how everything works with them (another reason I'm at this forum).

Anyone know where I can get a custom canvas cover?
Thanks guys!

BF

Lieutenant

I'm not sure where you are, but look in the yellow pages under "tent and awning" or something like that. Also call a local RV place to ask them who in the area will re-canvas a pop-up trailer. Those folks are the ones that also will do custom tarps. Local is best 'cause you can take the boat on the trailer and leave it with them while they make one up.

good luck, and nice boat! Great that you have history with it.

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

Have you thought about building a car port for your boat(nothing major) along with canvas cover to help keep the out door elements off of her?? It does help.

es_bob

Seaman Apprentice

I'm from the Northern Wisconsin area. My parents live in Minnesota (why the boat has MN tags right now). I would do the carport thing but honestly my city would probably make me take it down (they have very odd "building codes"). I almost have room in the garage for it to fit, and for sure its going to be in the garage for winter.

Thanks for the tips on where to go, I'll call a few of those places today.

hibbert6

Petty Officer 1st Class

Oh - go to the hardware store and get some of that foam pipe insulation (looks like a pool "noodle, except with a hole down the middle and a slit on one side.) Put this on top of your windshield before putting the cover over to keep it from tearing. The windshield corners are sharp, so trim the foam a little long to fold ove the ends, and notch out for the side windows.

dave

es_bob

Seaman Apprentice

Dave, thats a really good idea. Right now I put folded up washcloths between the cover and the windshield corners. But the foam pipe insulation sounds like a much better / easier way to do it.

The canvas covers we had always had extra padding at the windshield corners and they never ripped there.

ParallaxBill

Petty Officer 1st Class

I like it a lot, and it's always cool to own a boat you know the entire history of. Very nice looking boat, and I'm a fan of Glastrons. Before before buying my 72 Glassmaster (which I am very happy with) I passed on a 21' Glastron Sierra V-212 for $50 because it had engine issues.

Again, nice boat, thanks for sharing the pics of it.

QuadManiac

Petty Officer 1st Class

3. Be sure to keep your boat tilted back and leave the plug out during the rainy season - or you may find that 2 inches of water are on the floor of your boat - a month later!

Dave

LOL at number 3! Here in San Diego it doesn't rain very much. Much to my surprise, a few weeks after a late autumn storm, I pulled off the cover to get the boat ready to take out, and sure enough... the bilge cover was floating up in the air with the life vests underneath. Bilge was within an inch or so of being full. Luckily, no serious damage, just a lot of slime to clean up. And the high moisture content got into my steering cable and seized it, since replaced and all else is well now.

NOW I know to leave it tipped up with the plug out. Wish I had known about this forum last year when I first got into boating.

hibbert6

Petty Officer 1st Class
Support pole

Support pole

And another thing -

Tri-hull covers have a notoriously wide expanse of unsupported fabric both in front of and behind the windshield. I kept getting puddling (and therefore stains on the cover as well as water inside) until I put in a baseball bat. But it wouldn't stay up. Finally I bought an adjustable "cover support pole" for $25 or so and I place it about 2'-3' behind the windshield. It eliminates puddling in both areas if I have all 12 bungees in the right places!

Dave

rndn

Commander

Very nice old boat.

studlymandingo

Commander
Nice!

Nice!

I used to have a '77 16' Glastron Sportster that looked very much like that one. It had a 75 HP 'rude on it; I'll bet that 85 pushes that sucker along nicely!​