GOT A LEAK

machicj

Seaman Apprentice
Just bought a 1985 Wellcraft 192 American. Second time out on Lake Erie I ran into some pretty rough water. Discovered i have a leak about three feet back from the bow. its right where the rub rail is. it appears there might be a seperation, maybe 6 or 8" long. Can't really see anything from the inside without removing the carpeting in the cuddy. all i know is everything got soaking wet in the cuddy and water ran from the bow to the stern. not alot, but enough to get everything wet. the rub rail appears to be chalked on the bottom around the entire boat. can i just rechalk it? it is seperated maybe 1/8" where the leak is. what kind of sealant would be best? Thanks for any help.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral
Re: GOT A LEAK

3m 5200 will seal it up forever. I would also try to close that gap up, make things nice and tight. Good luck...

prockvoan

Chief Petty Officer

The right way is to remove the rub rail from the side of the boat,from stern to bow.Clean everything with a rag and some acetone,remove any and all silicon.From there,there should be screws holding the cap(deck) to the hull about every 8" to 12".Best thing to do is remove about three in a row,put some 3m 5200 in the hole and then rescrew.Go all around the hull and do all of them.If you have a screw that is strip out,use a replacement screw the next size bigger.After that is done,get some clear silicon,put a bead around were the cap and hull joins together,install the rub rail,a shot of silion in each hole for the screws.Once that is done,put a bead of silion at the bottom of the rub rail all the way around.You should not ever have to go back in do it again!

machicj

Seaman Apprentice

Prockvoan, i took the rubber strip off and there is a aluminum ? strip underneath. instead of screws, it is rivited. i assume i have to drill the rivets out. what type of screw do you recommend? (stainless steel?) how long do they need to be? do i use the same hole or drill new ones? you sound like you've done this before as it is just like you discribed. Thanks for anymore help. machicj