Goodyear Sea Bee 5 HP Backfire/Starting Problems

chrislee85

Cadet
I have recently acquired a Goodyear 025-3564 outboard. I was told it was a 5 HP and it appears by searching for forum that this model # is a 5hp. I am having a couple of problems though that would like some feedback on.

1. Re: the sliding speed control. Where should this be when I am starting the motor? I have no decals or stickers left.

2. When the speed control is all the way to the right (which I believe is fast) the engine backfires occassionally when I start it. Nonetheless, I can't get it to start. I try for about 10 pulls and then finally get the backfire. It will turnover some, but won't level out and run on its own. I assume the carb needs to be cleaned, but wanted to hold off as long as I could on that so I don't get gas all over the place. (Is there anyway to remove the carb without all of the gas running out of the tank?)

Thanks,
Chris

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral
Re: Goodyear Sea Bee 5 HP Backfire/Starting Problems

Take the fuel line off the carb and catch the gas in a can...keep and reuse it if it's fresh. If it's the gas that came in the tank the fuel delivery system, including the carb is probably hosed...all gummed up. Pull the tank and clean it out, clean the fuel line, clean the carb too. When you're looking at the front of the motor, think of a clock face...Fast is all the way to the right, about 3 o'clock; Start is about 5:30 and Slow is about 7 o'clock, Stop is around 8 or 9 o'clock. May also need a tune under the flywheel, coils/points/condensors/wires. Check out the thread "Awakening a Sleeping Outboard". It will get you started...and the outboard, too.

chrislee85

Cadet

Thanks for the info. Any idea about the backfiring?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Not much to say about that except mention the possibility of crossed spark plug wires. Are you sure you have them on the right plugs?

There is a rotating magnet between the coils, under the flywheel. I suppose if somebody installed the magnet upside down it might cause backfiring. I've never installed one upside down, so I don't know. Also there is more than one look-alike magnet. Might have the wrong one in it???

Breaker points condition and gap need to be checked while you are in there looking.

chrislee85

Cadet

It is probably all of the above as far as I know. I have decided to follow the above posted article "Awakening a sleeping outboard" and now have the carb off. I am looking at the cork float and cant figure out how to get it out of the bowl. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Chris

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

It is probably all of the above as far as I know. I have decided to follow the above posted article "Awakening a sleeping outboard" and now have the carb off. I am looking at the cork float and cant figure out how to get it out of the bowl. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Chris

Cork float is held to the inlet needle with a clip held in place with a screw.
Remove the drain plug,gasket and and strainer, if used.to remove inlet needle tap gently down with a plastic hammer or similar tool till even with the top of float and withdraw from the bottom.There will be a float lock at the bottom of the float.

chrislee85

Cadet

Alright I was able to get the float off and out. I have read alot about replacing the cork float. I have not had success with finding any replacement parts online. What does anyone recommend that they have tried? Is there anyway to "varnish" the cork float to lengthen it's life?

Thanks,
Chris

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

If it's not in pieces and otherwise sound, you can dry it out in the sun for a few days and reseal it with fuel-proof dope or two-part epoxy. Whatever you use should be alchohol proof or any ethanol-laced gas may eat up the new seal. You can get fuel-proof dope at model/hobby shops.

chrislee85

Cadet

Thanks for the info. Is there any place to get a new float/carb kit for this motor? I have had unsuccessful luck online. Also, can someone provide me some insight on the long spindle that is threaded on one end and below the primer/run/off knob. What it is and how to properly install it.

Thanks,
Chris

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

If it looks like a knitting needle with threads, it's probably the high or low-speed carb needle. Thread it in gently, clockwise, until it stops...don't force it, then unscrew it about 3/4 of a full turn counterclockwise. It is what meters gas through the carb. If not that, then your guess is as good as mine without photos.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Mercury has a fuel-proof float part number 1395-8983, Sierra #18-7208 (here at iboats) that some people have used. You have to drill the center hole with a 3/32" drill bit for the float pin. Everything else is "experimental" because it is a different size and shape. You can cut it without damaging the material. Be careful not to cut it too much like I did. If your cork is decent, coat it with fuel-proof model airplane dope (like I did after I ruined my new Mercury float!!)