Good Samaritans getting the shaft.

sasto

Captain
Re: Good Samaritans getting the shaft.

Pathetic LEO.....another right I have taken away from me. Next thing I know I won't be able to dive in the ocean for lobster because of a possible shark attack...I can't swim in the river because an alligator may get me...I can't even cross the road because I may get ran over by a car. Pretty soon I will need a life jacket wrapped around my whole boat during all hollidays and weekends.

The guys may have taken a chance, I take chances everyday....all is well with me what they did. I've seen worse in this world today to worry about than a couple guys saving a deer.

Give the dumba** deer a ticket while your at it.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIH_nwIY9Io

Good Day! :cool:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

There is always two sides to a story.

Rescuers fined after freeing deer from Patapsco ice
Officer said men were warned not to go out on the icy Patapsco River without life vests

Two men who rescued a deer trapped in Patapsco River ice were each fined $90 by a state Natural Resources Police officer because they did not have life vests aboard the inflatable boat they used to reach the animal.

A 911 caller reported a deer stuck in the ice near Route 648 in Linthicum about 5 p.m. Thursday, Sgt. Brian Albert of the Maryland Department of Natural Resources Police said.

A Natural Resources officer and a Baltimore County fire crew arrived and were discussing whether to attempt a rescue when two men on the scene decided they would do it themselves, Albert said.

"The river there, I'm told, is probably over 100 feet wide, maybe a little wider," Albert said, noting that the deer was "out toward the middle" of the river, which "more than likely has some current."

"The Fire Department was kind of game-planning what they would do," Albert said. "With Natural Resources Police, we will attempt, but we are not going to risk a human life for a deer life, as cruel as that may sound. ? I'm as sympathetic as the next person on that deer being in the water, but when you weigh the risk to the reward, I would probably decide not to try to rescue that deer."

Firefighters and the natural resources officer advised the men not to go out on the water, particularly without life vests, Albert said. But the men went out in their boat and freed the deer.

"I saw something moving. I saw them trying to break the ice," said Jim Hart, 46, who lives in Carroll County. He said was driving by and felt compelled to stop to see what was happening.

Khalil Abusakran, 33, from Baltimore County, said he was also driving by the scene when he noticed that people were throwing rocks and sticks at the deer, causing Abusakran to get his rubber boat from his van to rescue the deer.

"The deer was stuck and couldn't get up off the ice," he said.

Abusakran and Hart then went out into the water, which they described as about 10 feet deep. Hart said they had to work to break the ice using their oars and shovels. The two men were finally able to break open a wide enough section of ice to free the deer.

Abusakran said he later noticed that he thought the deer was pregnant. He released her into Baltimore Highlands Park.

Hart said the Natural Resources officer issued them $90 citations for not having personal flotation devices on board. State law requires that all boaters have a personal flotation device with them at all times on any navigable body of water, though they are not required to wear them unless they are younger than 16.

But Abusakran said he had two personal flotation devices in his boat, and that he repeatedly told the Natural Resources officer.

Albert said however, the men could have faced a stiffer charge: disobeying a lawful order.

"They could have been arrested and taken before a commissioner," Albert said. "Our officer erred on the side of the least invasive action that he could take at the time."

Hart said several people have already contacted him, offering to pay the citation, but he said that's not the point.

The men said they will fight the citations in court on Feb. 18

The officers side of the story

NRP Sgt. Says Deer Rescuers Didn?t Follow Directions
December 19, 2010 6:11 PM
GLEN BURNIE, Md. (AP/WJZ) ? Natural Resources Police fined two men who helped rescue a deer trapped in a frozen river because they didn?t have life jackets or any floatation devices aboard their inflatable boat.

Baltimore County fire and Natural Resources Police officers were called to the Patapsco River Bridge last week after a deer fell through the ice.
NRP Sgt. Brian Albert says James Hart of Jessup and Khalilalim Abusakran Jr. were on the scene, but officers told them to get off the waterway because they weren?t wearing life jackets. Instead, Albert says the men continued to advance, and broke the ice so the deer could make it to the shoreline.
But Albert says because the men didn?t follow instructions, each was fined $90. The men told WJZ-TV that they plan to fight the citations.

skargo

Banned

But Abusakran said he had two personal flotation devices in his boat, and that he repeatedly told the Natural Resources officer.

But Albert says because the men didn?t follow instructions, each was fined $90. The men told WJZ-TV that they plan to fight the citations.

Sounds like the cop is full of crap.:rolleyes:

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

Sounds like the cop is full of crap.:rolleyes:

:confused:

Perhaps to you, but to me it sounds like there are simply two different stories.
I wouldn't immediately assume that it is the LEO who is wrong....;)

skargo

Banned

:confused:

Perhaps to you, but to me it sounds like there are simply two different stories.
I wouldn't immediately assume that it is the LEO who is wrong....;)

My assumption is based on experiences with some of the members of that agency.
A few bad apples and all that.

CobiaXL

Banned

Lucky they didnt get fined for no registration..:mad:

JRJ

Commander

Glad the guys saved the deer and I understand their feeling insulted getting a ticket. The warden may be overly efficient, but who would have been expected to save the men if it became necessary?

Last winter 3 brothers were duck hunting and their dog fell through the ice and couldn't get out. One brother went in, then another to save him and the dog. One brother and the dog survived. Sad.

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

I think if the LEO involved had any comon sense, he would have told these folks to put the life jackets on instead of watching them do the rescue and then deciding to issue a ticket. What the heck was he thinking?

Summer Fun

Banned

Where do you think the old saying came from ... Lying like a trooper. :D

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

DNR defends fining of two men who rescued deer from river

Officer warned pair not to go out on Patapsco without life vests

December 20, 2010|By Baltimore Sun staff
Responding to public criticism, the superintendent of the Maryland Department of Natural Resources Police defended on Monday fines against two men who rescued a deer from the icy Patapsco River.
The men were each fined $90 for not having life vests aboard the inflatable boat they used to reach the trapped animal Thursday.
"Unfortunately, the citizens involved disregarded the orders of numerous public safety officers on the scene ? including Baltimore County Police and Fire Officers as well as the NRP ? by entering the icy waters on an inflatable raft and remaining in the water after being ordered back to shore," Col. George Johnson said in a statement.

"Contrary to widespread reports," he added, "the raft was not equipped with the legally required safety equipment. Given the conditions of the water, what began with an animal in distress could have quickly led to a human tragedy, requiring an emergency response that could have endangered even more lives.
"I have full confidence that the officer on the scene performed his duties as required by law. We are all very grateful that there was ultimately a safe outcome ? for the citizens and the deer."
Jim Hart, 46, of Carroll County and Khalil Abusakran, 33, of Baltimore County have vowed to fight the fines in court in February.
End

Perhaps they did or did not have personal floatation devices onboard.
Perhaps they did or did not have the correct personal floatation devices onboard.

But hey, they could have been ticketed for disobeying a lawful order.
They were not, so the DNR Officer is quilty of dereliction of duty.

So remember, when a law enforcement officer tells you to put your fingers in your ears and do 10 jumping jacks nude, you better do it or else.

BlkY2k

Chief Petty Officer

DNR defends fining of two men who rescued deer from river

Officer warned pair not to go out on Patapsco without life vests

December 20, 2010|By Baltimore Sun staff
Responding to public criticism, the superintendent of the Maryland Department of Natural Resources Police defended on Monday fines against two men who rescued a deer from the icy Patapsco River.
The men were each fined $90 for not having life vests aboard the inflatable boat they used to reach the trapped animal Thursday.
"Unfortunately, the citizens involved disregarded the orders of numerous public safety officers on the scene ? including Baltimore County Police and Fire Officers as well as the NRP ? by entering the icy waters on an inflatable raft and remaining in the water after being ordered back to shore," Col. George Johnson said in a statement.

"Contrary to widespread reports," he added, "the raft was not equipped with the legally required safety equipment. Given the conditions of the water, what began with an animal in distress could have quickly led to a human tragedy, requiring an emergency response that could have endangered even more lives.
"I have full confidence that the officer on the scene performed his duties as required by law. We are all very grateful that there was ultimately a safe outcome ? for the citizens and the deer."
Jim Hart, 46, of Carroll County and Khalil Abusakran, 33, of Baltimore County have vowed to fight the fines in court in February.
End

Perhaps they did or did not have personal floatation devices onboard.
Perhaps they did or did not have the correct personal floatation devices onboard.

But hey, they could have been ticketed for disobeying a lawful order.
They were not, so the DNR Officer is quilty of dereliction of duty.

So remember, when a law enforcement officer tells you to put your fingers in your ears and do 10 jumping jacks nude, you better do it or else.

That will be the day I go to jail for telling him what he can do. I`m sorry these 2 guys did what they felt was right and I dont care who told them not to do it. If I decided to risk my life to help someone else, deer ,human whatever and the dnr came along and told me, No you cant do that Id tell them EXACTLY what they could do. I dont remember seeing them around when I decided to join the army and risk my life.

BeaufortTJustice

Petty Officer 1st Class

Perhaps there should be a waiver that people could sign, that states, "I am about to risk my life. Should I fail, please feel free to stand aside and watch me die. I promise my estate will not sue you (the government) for not saving me, as I release you (govt) from any duty to save me from myself. I also promise that the media will look favorably upon your inaction and in no way will publish negative comments regarding the same."

Yeah, right. Unfortunately when most people risk their lives, they unknowingly risk the lives of others as well...that is what I do not agree with. Your right to swing your fist ends where my nose begins is another way to put it.

Had the untrained and ill-equipped rescuers run into trouble, they would be depending on others to risk themselves to help them. For those who disagree with that logic, then I pose this question: Do you think one of the rescuers, if alone (no DNR, FD, media, bystanders) and 100 miles from help, would have attempted to rescue the deer? I don't think so. The availability of help for them was most likely a consideration in their decision to intervene. Perhaps they are not the self-less persons the media and others are making them out to be? Just my thoughts.