Good News For a Small Vol Fire Dept.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
The great State of Ohio has bestowed on our firehouse a grant to buy a new fire truck. Over the last few weeks we have talked to vendors of different apparatus companies and seen their demo trucks. Last night we hashed out the details with a company rep of one of those companies and should be recieving our new pumper within 90 to 120 days.<br /><br />For any of you that belongs to a Vol. Fire Dept., you can understand what something like this means to the Dept. and the members. This will be the first new truck bought by our Dept. in over 30 years. To say we are happy....would be an understatement.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Good News For a Small Vol Fire Dept.

Great news, OBJ!<br /><br />Now restore the old truck and save it for parades. Everybody loves old fire trucks (except the firefighters who are trying to use one). :D

aspeck

Staff member

So, are you getting an E-One? A Pierce? What? Don't just tell us a pumper, we want details, man, details, so every VFD represented here can be jealous! How big is the tank, how are you rigging the pumper? What is your cab configuration? ...

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

OK....some of the specs....<br /><br />HME is building the engine.<br />Cummins Diesel rated at 330hp<br />Midship Hale 1500gpm pump<br />6" Steamers on boths sides<br />2 1/2" and 3" discharges on each side<br />2 1/2" discharge at the rear<br />2 1/2" discharge to the front jump line<br />Deck Gun...Crossfire XFG-72 Telescoping Gun with Quad Tips<br />750gal tank and 20gal foam tank piped to a side discharge and the front discharge<br />Rear Cab will handle 5 firefighters in bottled jump seats.<br />Kick down steps provided for easy entry into front or rear cabs<br />All compartments have roll up doors.<br />Ladder storage under tank.<br />Hose bed will have capacity for 1200ft LDH on one side and I can't recall capacity for 2 1/2" on the other. We use 6" LDH.<br />Auto chains provided.<br />Two telescoping pole lights on the rear corners<br />Four slide out trays for port pumps and generator. Generator is a 5000watt Honda gas.<br />Three vertical pull out tool racks.<br />Bottle storage for eight spare SCBA bottles<br />Plenty of storage space for nozzels, couplings, foam eductors, etc., at the pump panel.<br />Two 6" light weight suction tubes...for drafting.<br />Lighting galore<br />Cab and body made of stainless steel. All <br />plumbing is stainless and HP flex hose.<br /><br />I could go on and on....but hope this gets' the picture across. :D

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

Congrats OBJ!!!!!!!!<br />My 4 year old Son would go nuts never get him off excited climbing all over it should he get ont that new Fire Truck!....bravo!!!

bubbakat

Captain

Glad to hear this OBJ we need all the equip. a station can get. and then some. <br />I to am a VF I sure do know and relize the hassels of getting good equipment.

aspeck

Staff member

Sounds like Big Boy Toy Heaven! That Cummins should get you to the scene on time and throw the deck gun on her and you will be out of water in no time!<br /><br />Not a big fan of the roll up doors, everything else sounds sweeeet!

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Yep...big boy toys..... :D <br /><br />Been a long time coming and the Dept. is really excited about it. This will give us three engines...we already have a Ford pumper, and a brush truck. NOW....we got a main attack pumper.<br /><br />The Cummins is mainly for the hills. We got a few around here. And luckily, just about all the county roads have hydrants. The worst place we got is the top of a hill called Turkey Point. Really a beotch to get to......from either direction. <br /><br />All in all, for the money, we think we got a contender here.

Link

Rear Admiral

I just became aware of what VFD's go through about four years ago. Stopped in at a (Black Smiths shop) where they make everything with open fires and shapping metal! Nothing changed since the 14th century!<br />Anyway he has a restored 1928 fire truck used in parades but is also a backup for their VFD as it was only retired 10 years ago. Still a full tank of water.. amazing..<br />Great new OBJ

Peter J Fraser

Chief Petty Officer

Thats great OBJ but a truck dont move without a transmission???? What was your choice there?<br /><br />Regards<br /><br />Peter

skeezx01

Petty Officer 2nd Class

arn't those FEMA grants the coolest! elk horn and our neighbor kimballton just recieved matching peterbuilt pumpers. we had to make the door at the station bigger to get it in! it's a shame that we had to have 9/11 to get the homeland security adm. to dole out some of their moldy money.hopefully the next grant we applied for will come in so we can get new bunker gear and some additional air packs. :D

D

DJ

Good news OBJ!<br /><br />Peterf, I hope you didn't just freak out OBJ, now he's wondering if they FORGOT the transmission. :eek: :D <br /><br />I'm sure it's an Allison.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Allison five speed auto tranny. With real lever control...no touch pad.

Stratosfied

Ensign

Sounds really cool, Now how cool does (is) the Siren sound!

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Federal Q on the front end....makes the go noise. Twin air horns makes the "git out tha road" noise.

Peter J Fraser

Chief Petty Officer

Allison is cool.<br />You'll be OK on that.<br /><br />Peter

TPD211

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey OBJ,<br /><br />Does the Dept. have a thermal imager yet? Look for a grant for one. Our Fire and Police Depts. have them. Our Police Dept has 2 B/W thermal imagers and a 3rd Gen night vision mono. <br /><br />Since you are a Volunteer F.D. you can apply for DRMO equipment from the Federal Gov. Do a search for DRMO on google.<br /><br />We have tons of equipment from DRMO. I'm the liaison for the program. I'm heading to Tampa this week to pickup a 1988 deuce and a half from the Sheriff's Office there on a transfer. No cost to us. DRMO releases tons of equipment, lots of firefighting stuff that is still servicable.<br /><br />Good luck and congrats on the new pumper.<br /><br />I was a fire fighter before I became a cop some 27 years ago. I volunterred for our fire department and kept my standards up for years. Heck, my minor in college was fire science, guess its in the blood.

aspeck

Staff member

Thanks for the heads-up Trigger!<br /><br />Good news, our FD just got a grant for new SCBA! Just got new turn out gear, so we are movin' on up also! YIPPEE! New toys!

brother chris

Commander

OBJ...that's cool. I know how hard it is to get anything for a VFD. <br />I was a volunteer a couple years back and it was at a local ski hill. <br />Think about this for a minute. We have a WHITE fire truck...on a ski hill. <br />We tried and tried to tell the board members that having a white fire truck on a ski hill is rediculous. <br />When there was a snow storm happening and we get called to a fire, all people would see are red lights coming down the road. Sure we had a siren, but how rediculous is that :confused: <br />After 2-3 years of arguing with them, and the ski hill was growing, they finally gave us a new fire hall and a new RED truck. <br />It was like pulling teeth I tell ya.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

My thanks also Trigger for the info. I'll give it a check out. I've read quite a bit of info on TI but the pricing has generally been out of our ball park. A grant would be nice.... :)