Good news, bad news, all kinds of news

Kenneth Brown

Captain
Where do I start? Good news. I have been out of racing for 3 years now. I have sold off all of my racecars and hot rods. I still had a BUNCH of motors/parts left over though. I decieded to sell them in one lot. I really bent myself over because I let it all go way too cheap. I don't care, I really need the money. Thats part of the bad news. With the wife in school and only working partime it has slowly dwindled away at any reserves we had. Christmas, and her working less during the last month, has knocked us down to next to nothing. Last night she came home crying, she said she had a wreck and hit a cow. I made sure she was alright and then looked at the van. All she did was knock the mirror out of the socket. I was able to put it back in. The electric adjustment doesn't work anymore but it still has a mirror and no one got hurt. The job I am trying to get is like a $550 a month paycut. It will mean that till she gets out of school in May we are gonna be credit card junkies. Is this ever gonna stop? Is it all just starting to catch up or what. Thanks for the vent session.

ebbtide176

Commander
Re: Good news, bad news, all kinds of news

you're most welcome :D <br /><br />hang in there kb, i'll cover the GAP (givaprayer)

brother chris

Commander

Yeah, hang in there Ken. I wish you good luck. <br />I know where you are coming from. Been there and back, and partially still there.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Good times, bad times, ya know I've had my share.<br />Gee--sounds like a song. But I can relate, Ken. My entire life has been a roller coaster of good and bad times. After 52years of riding it, I'm pretty sick of crashing into a great fireball.<br /><br />But one thing that really ended the last crash-n-burn session, was asking for God to help us. The next day, I got a call. I'm not making this up.<br /><br />now, we are out of danger, back to living paycheck-to-paycheck, but at least, we are eating again :) That's a good thing, and I thank God for every day he gets us through.

NYMINUTE

Captain

We all ride the same roller coaster, just different seats. I know the been there done that thing isn't much motivation, but it is the truth.<br />I expect we all get a return visit too. Hang Tuff.

tylerin

Commander

Most importantly KB I'm glad your wife is ok. Secondly I'm glad to hear that your helping your wife achieve, about the only thing in the world that somebody can't take away from her....an education. Look for the silver lining...it's there

LadyFish

Admiral

KB, glad your wife is okay and the damage wasn't any worse to the car.<br /><br />Sometimes we all have to take a step backwards in order to move forward. This is just a bump in the road and even though you might not be able to see the woods for the trees at the moment, one day it'll all be worth it.<br /><br />Anything worth having, is worth working for.<br /><br />Good Luck to you both. :)

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

KB, just another adventure in the story of life. Some years down the road you will look back and remember how "together" your family was, there's something positive comes out of every "era". Sometimes the "times" that appear to be the "worst of times", aren't really. The true value of "money and things", or as I call it "stuff" is nuttin' compared to the relationships we have with our loved ones. You will look back at these times fondly...Chief :)

ndemge

Commander

KB... nobody has asked..... how in the heck did your wife hit a COW????

Kenneth Brown

Captain

I reckon I should post the truth, although the other answer was the truth also. She was driving down the road, about 68 or so, at night. A truck was coming the other way and she seen this white face look at her. That was the only way she seen the cow. She swerved but still lighlty clipped it. She was all upset, I told just don't worry about it. It happens, and crying doesn't help. I have found to laugh because it does help. <br /><br /><br />Thanks for the concerns gang.

Mr.Ladyfish

Master Chief Petty Officer

Explain how lucky she was not to hit it broadside. The damage and injuries could have been a whole lot worse KB. <br /><br />As far as the hard times go, you seem like a good man and you'll come out on top just hang in there.

a_bullfrog_a

Seaman

I'm in similar boat but my wife doesn't work.<br />I prefer her home to take care of my children while they go to school. It's tough on the waller<br />but they get good grades. when she did work for<br />a bit we noticed a decline in our kids school<br />performance and moods. They became less motivated<br />and very grumpy all due to an very early(4:30am) and fast start to the day. Young couple here, were under 30 and doing it old fashioned way compared to most other families but it works for us. We have plenty of times where $$ is tight<br />but we pull though. Right now is one of <br />those times becouse I had to get my car towed<br />last nite and it's gonna set us back $500 that<br />I don't have. when it get's this bad<br />I stess and finally yell out real loud "screw it"<br />or what ever words come to mind and it works<br />wonders and put myself in the right frame of mind.<br />for example: I'm getting a huge tax return in 3 weeks.. so..... SCREW IT!!!!!! <br />As for the credit cards to make ends meet.. not a <br />good idea. rip em up.. If you can't pay your<br />current bills how are you gonna pay a massive<br />interest and late payment building credit card bill. Credit Cards are for luxury items not <br />necessity. Stay away from the trap, I'm telling<br />you this from experience. Those interest rates will eat you alive even worse then you feel now.<br />whose to say things will get better an you'll <br />be able to pay them back.

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

KB- <br /><br />main thing is wifey is ok right now and no immediate repairs to the van are needed.. 'Free Range' is something else,, 4 yrs ago a rancher out in SD that I'm friends with hit a limousine steer at 65mph with his F-250 Quad-Cab .. it wasn't a great thing to look at to put it lightly. Be thankfull she's just shook up a bit.<br /><br />Hang in there and don't let your mind get the best of ya.. been in the situation myself and for me was worse dealing with thoughts then was the situation.<br /><br />Keep your head up - You'll make it ok .. May is just around the corner.

Kenneth Brown

Captain

I reckon things are looking up again. She was able to work an extra day this pay period. Thats $20 an hour X 12 hours. I finally sold all of my motors off. I sure wish I could have talked about them on here. I had 2 400's, 2 350's, 3 305's, and a 283. One 400 and one 350 was complete, the others short block/bare block. I had a new Edelbrock intake, tranny rebuild kit, 3 sets of heads, 3 cranks, 6 starters, etc. Sold it all for $850. It was worth about $1700. I didn't want to piece it out forever and sold it as a lot. Bank acct is looking better. Bullfrog- I'm so deep in a Visa now it ain't even funny. Come May she graduates and the money comes rolling in. If I don't get the job I'm still cool with it. I would like to though. Its a park ranger position with Texas Parks and Wildlife. Its got to be a much better enviromnet then this damn prison. Its worth the pay cut. But if I don't it'll be ok. Pay bills, feed horses, fix fence, and on and on and on. It'll all work out, it always does. The Man said he won't put anything on me I can't bear, and I ain't about to make him a liar. Cheers gang, beers on me.

aspeck

Staff member

Man, KB, your wife messed up. Should have hit the cow hard enough to have to kill it. Insurance buys you a cow, and you have a freezer full of meat - lower grocery bills for a while! She swerved away from a full freezer! Now tell her to go out there and do it right this time! J/K! Don't take me TOO serious! Glad she is okay. Brighter skies are around the corner!