Good Idea or Bad Idea. Stringer Prep.

Lectro88

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello everyone.
You know I'm always doing things outside of the box.
Well I found another box,, lol
I stumbled across W.O.G.'s old timers wood recipe, kinda by accident.
And it put the poor wheels to turning,. again.
You soak that real good into wood and undercover out sight and mind it could last like the pyramids.
The problem is all 3 products are oil based and I am using epoxy.
It's been told to me before you don't want mineral spirits in the same room as epoxy.
That might should answer my question, in itself..
I know I tried to cover over a amish table that had been stripped 3 times. and sanded.
Tried clear coating with epoxy and it just beaded like rainx on a windshield. Think it ended up being tong/ tongue oil base on table.
Is that the same outcome I'm looking at if I treated stringers prior to epoxying, tabbing and over top wrapping with fiberglass.
The more I read this the more I think it's not so good of an Idea. but I'm still asking.
I know it's more time and a week or so to fully cure the recipe and add the 2 layer spar over.
for those that don't know the recipe. its
1quart each boiled lineseed oil and marine spar then 2 quarts mineral spirits that thin and make it soak in good,(so a gallon of mix) several coats til it won't really absorb more. let that cure like 72 hrs and finish with 2 coats spar.
There's more to it than this but that's the short version.

Thanks everyone.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
no, epoxy wont stick to linseed oiled wood

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Isn’t epoxy the gold standard? Why would you want to treat wood with Old Timer’s Formula before applying epoxy? I don’t get it…

Lectro88

Petty Officer 1st Class
It was a just a thought for additional protection.
For the purpose of say a fatigue crack in epoxy over time with flexing for instance.
Or a place that maybe was thin or a missed spot in epoxy. and in this thought you may wet the cloth out but if you didn't coat the wood thoroughly first the wood is just waiting for water intrusion.
And we all know how over time foam can absorb and hold water against stringers.
And that is water just waiting to invade any possible entry point. be it you missed a place or fatigue or some of both or any number of ways to have a breach to the wood.

tpenfield

Staff member
FWIW - you want the stringers to be like a dry sponge for the resin (epoxy or poly) so you get the best possible bonding. Pre-treating the stringers defeats that purpose.

The fact that you are using epoxy puts you at a higher 'waterproofing' level than using poly resin.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Nope drop the concept. Doesn't work is all. If you were making a form out of foam ok... but then for strength you would need like 12 layers of glass.
You seem to be always Dinking and thats a good thing!

Lectro88

Petty Officer 1st Class
Nope drop the concept. Doesn't work is all. If you were making a form out of foam ok... but then for strength you would need like 12 layers of glass.
You seem to be always Dinking and thats a good thing!
Thanks for the reply.
as you can tell I had my doubts out of the gate.
And I am really glad I asked, and didn't just Plow on.
Yesir, this time my Thunking was a bad idear.
I'm taking too much time and making things so.... this would have been a bad blunder.
Thanks everyone for keeping me on the straight.

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
You could always use a composite core for the stringers if you are that worried about water.

Lectro88

Petty Officer 1st Class
You could always use a composite core for the stringers if you are that worried about water.
Yes that’s the best option but.
I have enough lumber to build a small Viking ship.
What I’m doing is probably going to outlast me anyway.

Reactions: KJM

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Yes that’s the best option but.
I have enough lumber to build a small Viking ship.
What I’m doing is probably going to outlast me anyway.
nah, realistically you will probably sell the boat in a few years and buy a bigger one.

Lectro88

Petty Officer 1st Class
nah, realistically you will probably sell the boat in a few years and buy a bigger one.
Well,
I sought out this specific boat.
It's same age or year as me, I bought it as a full resto project to help me deal with the loss of a wife I loved very much,. She found a better deal to her.
I drove to ny and drug this thing back to nc. 2-1/2 day round trip and 1800 miles.
With 300 lbs. of Dogs in cab of truck.(1 of those is gone now a couple weeks)just 1 left.

one never knows for sure. i guess.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Well,
I sought out this specific boat.
It's same age or year as me, I bought it as a full resto project to help me deal with the loss of a wife I loved very much,. She found a better deal to her.
I drove to ny and drug this thing back to nc. 2-1/2 day round trip and 1800 miles.
With 300 lbs. of Dogs in cab of truck.(1 of those is gone now a couple weeks)just 1 left.

one never knows for sure. i guess.

Good luck with your project. Sounds like working on a boat will be good for you. I hope it is.