good for me and 1 question for you

1999 Searay 180BR

Seaman Apprentice
Thread starter
Joined
May 23, 2006
Messages
43
For those who do not know me or have not read my other two posts, I got my problem with the engine bogging fixed. It was a combination of corroded distributer cap and two bad spark plugs. However, during the spark plug removal I managed to hit the starter solenoid with the ratchet handle and since I had not disco'd the battery I got a spark. This spark killed all instruments. I traced it to a square fuse thing on the actual starter. Red wire from battery to square thing=12v. opposite side of square where the red wire with purple stripe connects, voltage =0. Red/purple powers fuse block under dash. This square was some sort of fuse or fusable link but it's shot. I wired in an inline fuse holder and installed a 10 amp fuse. If anybody can make sense of what I'm trying to describe, I need to know where I can get another one or will I be ok to just leave the fuse holder inline ( same concept unless it served another purpose ). Also what amperage was the square thing rated at, like I said I got a 10 amp in now...the smaller the better when unsure. Thanks to everyone for the tips and suggestions, Greg
 

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Joined
Aug 31, 2004
Messages
62,321
Re: good for me and 1 question for you

I know exactly what you are talking about, but do need to know what engine/drive combo you have. They make several different sizes.<br />A Mercruiser SN of the engine would "REALLY" be the best answer you could give.<br />Bet it looks like this.<br /><br />
Square%20Merc%20Fuse.png
 

1999 Searay 180BR

Seaman Apprentice
Thread starter
Joined
May 23, 2006
Messages
43
Re: good for me and 1 question for you

That's It!! Sorry Don, halfway through Church tonight I remembered I didn't give any info on the motor, It's a 1999 Mercruiser 3.0L S.N.OL313589. What is that piece called and what is its function, other than acting as a fuse? Like I said I wired in an inline, blade-type fuse holder and installed a 10 amp fuse. If that will not be a problem I will just leave as/is, but am concerned about the amp rating of the original piece. I would like to match it with the proper fuse unless the piece serves another purpose,then I will replace it.
 

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Joined
Aug 31, 2004
Messages
62,321
Re: good for me and 1 question for you

Your 10A fuse will be a problem. That fuse you blew is a 90A and designed to take the high loads.<br />The Merc PN is 88-79023A90. Costs about 20 bucks.<br />Stick with the right part in this case.
 

1999 Searay 180BR

Seaman Apprentice
Thread starter
Joined
May 23, 2006
Messages
43
Re: good for me and 1 question for you

Will do. Thanks Don, Your a Gentleman and a Scholar, I sincerely appreciate all the info...Greg
 
Top