Gonna see less of me.

Fishbusters

Ensign
You guys are gonna see less of me for a while. I can't say how long because I really don't know. I got a lot on me and am venting here so bear with me. Every weekend except this one coming up is planned out till September; school starts back Monday and I have 19 students on my roll and only 18 desks now I have to hunt down one more OOPS make that two because I just found out one more is joining the class Wed (the most I have had since I started); the school is giving me less money for supplies (about 1/4 of what I normally get) than ever before as well as cutting the budget other places in the school including subs so I know I will end up spending some time babysitting other teachers students when we have to split a class because there is no one to watch it; I can't find one table and my personal chair that goes behind my desk not to mention the dirt pile that got waxed over in my room as well as spilled paint when they painted the door; everyone (Special Ed) got new computers for their classroom but 3 teachers last year (yes one was me) and the word came down no new computers or equipment for the next couple of years (oh joy) at least I have one that works sort of it seems they dropped the printer during the summer and it sort of works I might get it working better once I look at it tomorrow; my own children are starting in an advanced new school/program where it has a lot more art, music and a foreign language added into the regular curriculum so I am betting they will need more homework help; and the list goes on but at least I have a homemade hot tub heated by a homemade wood water heater that I can relax in some if I ever get the time. I sort of knew most of this was coming but it still does not mean I have to like it but at least I prepared. The fridge is close to the tub and is stocked with 12oz friday evening relaxers and i plan to be out there friday evenings/nights relaxing before the weekend chores/plans. Of course fishing has to figure in there somewhere but even it too may be limited even more than normal especially if the wife has her way and keeps us on the run with the kids on the weekends. Anyway if you don't hear from me very often now you know why and anytime you think you are alone when you have a lot on you look up this post and know this YOU ARE NOT ALONE.

miloman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Gonna see less of me.

hey peter remember to always check in

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Peter, I hope for a sucessful school year for you and your kids, and students too... :D I know being a special ed teacher is ruff... Good friend of mine is a special ed teachers aid in elementary school.. Man, the horror stories...<br /><br />Again, have a good, nahhh wait, a GREAT school year! :)

catfish1

Senior Chief Petty Officer

check in from time to time, kinda lookin like we wont be meeting up down there.

SoulWinner

Commander

Peter,<br /><br />Doing what you does not require computers, it takes a big heart and loads of compassion and caring. I think you are well equiped. Since I first joined this board I learned about you and what you do. Blessings my friend, you do a job that I am not called nor equiped to do. You are greater than me. If you need a chair, post it, I will have your local office depot deliver it to you. You will be fine. Remember, God doesn't call the equiped, he equips the called. If you have any need that I might fill, post it. If I can assist you, my family and I will. Ans if I can do nothing else for you, I will pray :)

ebbtide176

Commander

i will be thinking about you & your job also, everytime my wife comes home to tell me about some crazy schoolday story. <br /><br />best wishes for you PFB, check in as often as possible.

Ralph 123

Captain

God doesn't call the equiped, he equips the called
That's profound SW.<br /><br />PFB I wish you the best of luck. As has already been said, it takes a very special person to do what you do and society owes you a debt of gratitude.<br /><br />I have the hardest time understanding why we can't fund schools properly with all the money we pay in taxes. Everyday we hear about government waste and yet they won't even uquip you properly. It just makes me angry!

FLATHEAD

Captain

I will tell you why Ralph! Salaries.. Yes that is the problem - Salaries. About 80% of the budget in the school districts goes for salaries. Over paid bloated administrations. Over paid teachers that work 182 days a year. Perks such as private cars for administrators, conference's that involve flying a bus load of administrators and teachers to Vegas or somewhere like it, expense accounts so these overpaid admins can go to lunch on the taxpayer,A teacher in our district starts at about 60,000. And these salaries go all the way up to 120,000+ I am sorry a lot of these bums are not worth it. Sorry Pete I do not direct this at you but the majority of those teachers are not thinking of the kids or Or weather or not there are enough books in the room when they walk that picket line,, its all about themselves and how much more they can get. Oh yes by the way they just placed an add for a new principal at the high school here 140,000 boy I hope we can get someone to work for that pittance of a salary. :mad: I dont think all teachers are bad and I know some very dedicated ones that are worth every penny they make but they are the exception rather than the rule.

Ralph 123

Captain

Wow! 6 figure teacher salaries in PA? I'm stunned...

FLATHEAD

Captain

Ralph so was I when I first started to learn about this. To be fair I would say the average in this district is around 80,85, for a teacher with some years in. But the so called "department heads" are up in the 6 figures with all the extras. The administrators forget it! They are out of this world.

ebbtide176

Commander

FH with all due respect - ur nuckin futz!! ;) <br /><br />but YHO is ok with me, it just needs to be cleared up- PA must be on another planet because here in GA, it is said that the cnty where wifie teaches is highest paid in the state.<br /><br />and without getting official data, just doing some figuring myself, they work @ 200 days/yr. i work @ 230 d/y with my 4wk vac. 16yrs ago when she got hired, she had the option of getting paid for the months in session, or by 12mo plan. she makes less than 45k. we avg $300 yr on supplies not covered by system, plus needed a personal commercial copier just to handle the extra load. you go do the math good buddy<br /><br />not to mention the overtime, and required continuing ed classes during summer break, frickin pta meetings, before/after school meetings with parents. ya can't expect to spend time grading papers during a schoolday if you intend to keep your job these days. its all done in the couple hrs you set aside ea night. <br /><br />believe me, i've done some dirty nasty hot & demanding jobs in my life, and there is no way i would be a teacher unless i had the desire to help children that my wife does. her mom & dad both retired as teachers and/or principal, and her dad tried to warn her not to do it- lol<br /><br />well, for $80+k i'd think about it. the stress certainly warrants that kind of salary. IMHO<br /><br />peace<br /><br />PS: her dad had a phd, with 30+yrs as a principal, and made less than that...in TN

ebbtide176

Commander

i realized - i should take back part of that other stuff - there is no way i would do it, i would end up in jail from dealing with some of the leetle monster/brats that never experienced the paddle. if not for that, then for not being able to contain myself and delivering a free lunch to a self-righteous parent - knuckle sandwich & freetoes :D <br /><br />ok, i'll quit it now -

FLATHEAD

Captain

Sorry Ebb I have to disagree. I have worked in the school district for 15 years as a utilities mechanic and get around to all 18 of our buildings. I see what goes on and I know quite a few teachers inside and outside of work. Yes we are a very wealthy very large district. One hundred fifty million budget this year!!!!! I did err, they work 182 days a year. You say you work 250 days a year so the that would mean the teachers work 68 days a year less than you. That is a lot of time my friend. If after 16 years she is at 45k I would say yeas she deserves more. That would never happen here although I wish it did.(We have custodians that make more than that) Once they have tenure You cant hardly touch em. Oh and lets not forget the sabbaticals!!! I wont even go there. Like I said there are some really dedicated teachers out there and sure your wife is, but there are just as many taking advantage. Just to hear some of them talk about the students makes me glad my kids are done school.Come on where else can you work ten month get paid 80,000 put no money out for benefits, get a raise weather you are a good teacher or not (Union) get 2 dollars of tax money for every one you put in retirement. My wife also works for a large district in Pa. in the education service's center and sees the same thing going on.<br /><br />Yes your right some of those kids need a different kind of education I see it every day :D