Golf Cart starter issues

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander
I have this gas powered golf cart, and it has been sitting for the last year or so. And it would not start, the only way i could get it to start was to touch the two solenoid terminals together. So i figured it must be a bad solenoid. So i got a new one, and put it in, but it still did not work.

I got fed up with messing around with this solenoid, i don't know that they do anyway. So I ran one wire from the positive battery terminal, and another to the negative solenoid terminal. I then ran these 2 wires to a toggle switch. SO I just flip up that switch when i wanna engage the starter. then I have to flip it down to stop the starter.

what is going on here? I have a little blue wire going from the ignition down the the solenoid, then an orange wire going from this harness to the solenoid, but the blue and orange are on diff sides of the solenoid.
And how in the hell are you supposed to tell Neg from Pos on the Solenoid? I'm talking about the big posts. they are not marked at all.

Lone Duck

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Golf Cart starter issues

I have this gas powered golf cart, and it has been sitting for the last year or so. And it would not start, the only way i could get it to start was to touch the two solenoid terminals together. So i figured it must be a bad solenoid. So i got a new one, and put it in, but it still did not work.

I got fed up with messing around with this solenoid, i don't know that they do anyway. So I ran one wire from the positive battery terminal, and another to the negative solenoid terminal. I then ran these 2 wires to a toggle switch. SO I just flip up that switch when i wanna engage the starter. then I have to flip it down to stop the starter.

what is going on here? I have a little blue wire going from the ignition down the the solenoid, then an orange wire going from this harness to the solenoid, but the blue and orange are on diff sides of the solenoid.
And how in the hell are you supposed to tell Neg from Pos on the Solenoid? I'm talking about the big posts. they are not marked at all.
There is no neg on the big posts. Pos wire from batt to post marked batt. neg from batt to a good ground. Orange wire from hot pos goes to ign. blue wire comes from ign to other terminal . when you turn the key it completes the circuit allowing solenoid to close circuit from batt wire to starter. A solenoid is an electronically activated switch.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like a bad gas pedal switch. The starter soleniod is actuated by a switch on the gas pedal.

Ignition circuit: Key switch to F&R switch to gas pedal to solenoid, solenoid to starter.

Fishing Dude too

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I ask year make model because some have mico switches that are cheep to replace from Radio Shack but hey what do I know It's only a side buisness

sasto

Captain

Sounds like a bad gas pedal switch. The starter soleniod is actuated by a switch on the gas pedal.

Ignition circuit: Key switch to F&R switch to gas pedal to solenoid, solenoid to starter.

I think dingbat has it nailed!

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

yea, i think dingbat is on to something. Because when you are coasting, and let off the gas, the engine turns off, and restarts when you hit the gas again. If I am still moving, and the engine turns off, and i have my new switch off, the engine will restart. only if i am still moving thou. I think it is kinda like popping the clutch.

So where do the wires comming off the gas pedal go to?

Fishing Dude too

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Also that is a starter, generator Could have a problem inside.

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

it is a 1995, AG model. When you hit the gas, it triggers a mechanical switch, that trips these 2 electrical swithces, that have wires going to the stator, and something else next to it. I wonder if those two little electrical switches are bad. They are what the gas pedal uses to send an electrical signal to the stator.

It seems to work fine with my new starter switch installed. It must be charging the battery, since it has not died yet.

I bought this test light from walmart, but It was a total POS. It light up once, then never agian. even touching neg to pos on a battery. you had to shove the wire down the pen, to make a connection. It was the stupidest design I have ever seen.