Going South?

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
For all you Northerners that plan on going South anytime soon, here are a few things I wrote down for ya to print out and save.<br />It might save ya from an embarrassing moment.<br /><br /> 1. That farm boy you see at the gas station did more<br /> work before breakfast than you do all week at the gym.<br /><br /> 2. It's called a "gravel road." No matter how slow you<br />drive, you're going to get dust on your Navigator. Drive<br />it or get it out of the way.<br /><br /> 3. The red dirt - it's called clay. Red clay. If you like the color<br />don't wash your car for a couple weeks - it'll be permanent.<br /><br /> 4. We all started hunting and fishing when we were seven<br />years old. Yeah, we saw Bambi. We got over it.<br /><br /> 5. Go ahead and bring your $600 Orvis Fly Rod. Don't cry to<br />us if a flathead breaks it off at the handle. We have a name for<br />those little 13-inch trout you fish for - bait.<br /><br /> 6. Pull your pants up. You look like an idiot.<br /><br /> 7. If that cell phone rings while a bunch of mallards are making<br />their final approach, we will shoot it. You might want to ensure<br />it's not up to your ear at the time.<br /><br /> 8. No, there's no "Vegetarian Special" on the menu. Order steak.<br />Order it rare. Or, you can order the Chef's Salad and pick off the<br />two pounds of ham and turkey.<br /><br /> 9. Tea - yeah, we have tea. It comes in a glass over ice<br />and is sweet. You want it hot - sit it in the sun. You want it<br />unsweetened - add a lot of water.<br /><br />10. You bring Coke into my house, it better be brown, wet,<br />and served over ice.<br /><br />11. So you have a sixty thousand-dollar car. We're real<br />impressed. We have a quarter of a million-dollar combine that we<br />only use two weeks a year.<br /><br />12. Let's get this straight. We have one stoplight in town. We stop<br />when it's red. We may even stop when it's yellow.<br /><br />13. We eat dinner together with our families. We pray before<br />we eat (yeah, even breakfast). We go to church on Wednesdays<br />and Sundays and we go to high school football games on Friday<br />nights. We still address our seniors with "yes, sir" and "yes,<br />ma'am," and we sometimes still take Sunday drives around town<br />to see friends and neighbors.<br /><br />14. We don't do "hurry up" well.<br /><br />15. Greens - yeah, we have greens, but you don't putt on them.<br />You boil them with salty fatback, bacon or a ham hock.<br /><br />16. Yeah, we eat catfish, bass, bream and carp. You really<br />want sushi and caviar? It's available at the bait shop.<br /><br />17. They are pigs. That's what they smell like. Get over it.<br />Don't like it? Interstate 85 goes two ways - Interstate 40<br />goes the other two. Pick one.<br /><br />18. Grits are corn. You put butter, salt, and maybe even some<br />pepper on them. If you want to put milk and sugar on them,<br />then you want cream of wheat - go to Kansas. That would be I-40 West.<br /><br />19. The "Opener" refers to the first day of deer season or dove<br />season. Both are holidays. You can get pancakes, cane<br />syrup, and sausage before daylight at the church on either day.<br /><br />20. So every person in every pickup waves? Yeah, it's called<br />being friendly. Understand the concept?<br /><br />21. Yeah, we have golf courses. Don't hit in the water hazards.<br />It spooks the fish and bothers the gators -and if you hit it in the<br />rough, we have these things called diamondbacks, and they're not<br />baseball players.<br /><br />22. That Highway Patrol Officer that just pulled you over for driving<br />like an idiot - his name is "Sir," no matter how young he is.<br /><br />23. We have lots of pine trees. They have sap. It drips from them. You<br />park your Navigator under them, and they'll leave a logo on your hood.<br /><br />24. You burn an American flag in our state, you get beat up. No<br />questions.<br />The liberal contingent of our state legislature - all four of them<br />enacted<br />a measure to stop this. There is now a $2.50 fine for beating up the<br />flag<br />burner.<br /><br />Have a nice day now ya hear? :cool:

gaugeguy

Captain
Re: Going South?

:confused: <br /><br />Things are the same all over, even in the north. ;)

gaugeguy

Captain

I guess me and my buddies would fit in nicely then, after we lost these dang New England accents :D

tylerin

Commander

I guess me and my buddies would fit in nicely then, after we lost these dang New England accents
But the mullets would fit in nicely :D

gaugeguy

Captain

Originally posted by tylerin:<br />
I guess me and my buddies would fit in nicely then, after we lost these dang New England accents
But the mullets would fit in nicely :D
Busted :D I was a mullet man ten years ago. Just like Joe Dirt :D

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

So spinner does this apply to Tennessee as well. I hope you did not mean the one about the grits. I like mine with milk and sugar on them. It is going to be like a different world down there. Oh yeah you forgot the part about the bangos playing in the background.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Hey Spinner....what say me and thee get ta' gether at old man Taylors place? We can sample sum a' his sweet ambrosia and talk 'bout nothin in particular. Yeah....ya' kin bring yer little green buddies along to....they are a hoot...'specialy when they hit tha' shine

Kiwi Phil

Commander

Well SBN, if you changed a few nouns here and there, this could apply to our State of Queensland.<br />Our Southern States call us a range of derogatory names, but they all dream of living or retiring up here in the "tropics", and we are happy to oblige by selling them "over valued" appartments and "investment properties". :D :D For all their clever ways they still havn't clicked it is us who benefit from these investments. Then when they can't handle the heat, we help them out by buying back their "investments" at really good prices ;) <br />Hell, life is good.<br />Cheers<br />Phillip

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

I think real folks worldwide like to hang out with other real folks. Don't matter where yer from, Only the accent changes to protect the innocent.

Link

Rear Admiral

Good post Spinner<br />Been busted in SC on #18....guess I should take I-40 west :) <br />But the Mullet thing had me.. did a google search to find out it's a hair-doo??? We called them hippies... :D

LadyFish

Admiral

Somebody described a mullet perfectly a day or so ago. "Its business in the front and hippy in the back." :D Down here mullet are fish that jump out of the water but you can't catch them they won't bite on anything.

gaugeguy

Captain

Lots of hockey players wear mullets, why, I just don't know. Maybe it allows their helmets to fit better. My mullet looked kind of stupid (so my wife tells me), all business up front and on top, but the hair in the back was naturally curly, just didn't hang right. :)