Going Nuts! Electrical

Alpinegold

Petty Officer 3rd Class
79 Johnson 115 on a 78 v178 Ranger and both are in perfect health, except for console lighting switch. Can someone tell me where / what color is the wire that goes into the light switch that turns on the navigation lights and the lights on the dash which would include the tach, trim, speedometer and gas gage. A V178 Ranger did not come with a Master Acc switch. Each one of the instrument panel lights are looped by a blue wire. I'm not sure where the power orginates and terminates. Would this be the same power source from where the navigational panel lights gets it's power?

There was a cream colored wire coming out of the light switch. I plugged it into the power bank under the dash and it did turn on my navigation lights and panel lights. It also shorted out my trim and the motor will not turn over with it hooked up that way. Really need some help as I have spent hours under the panel trying to understand what is going on.

Thanks ,

Alpinegold

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Going Nuts! Electrical

no boat is the same, really. especially if the owner has worked on it. you need to get a multimeter, or some type tester. have you checked your bulbs?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Going Nuts! Electrical

Go to the Generic Wiring Diagram at the top of this forum. Instrument lights can be powered in several ways. Some are lit the instant the ignition is turned on. I personally feel this is waste since the light is not needed during daylight hours. There may be a separate INSTRUMENT panel light switch or they may be combined with the NAV function. In the NAV setting of the switch, the navigation and instrument lights would be on. In the ANC (anchor) setting only the white all around light is on. +12V is fed to the NAV light switch which on recreational boats is generally a NAV-OFF-ANC switch. The instrument light feed would be connected to the NAV terminal on the switch.