Goat Rodeo at Hospital E/R

ehenry

Commander
I'll try to make this as short as I can, yall might find it amusing:<br /><br />My boy plays high school football, he's in his junior year. He play's the line as guard and defensive tackle. During his game Friday night he got his shoulder wrenched out of place. The Doctor on the field managed to get it back in place but recommended we take him to get xrayed to be safe and make sure there were no fractures in the upper part of his arm. He went so far to call the hospital to make all arraingments so they would be ready for us. We make the 45 minute trip and get checked into the E/R....no problem. <br /><br />While I'm walking with my boy back to the examining room theres a couple laying out in the hall on gurnies all beat up. The woman is in a neck brace on a gurney screaming obsenities at her husband thats all beat up and bloody on another gurney. She gets up off her gurney, goes over and starte beating the snot outta her husband. A little further down the hall a guy comes running by screaming, with 12 cops chasing after him. Once in our examining room we hear the person in the room next door go flat line. <br /><br />We're in the room about 30 minutes and an orthopedic surgeon comes in and tells us whats going to happen. Doesn't lay the first hand on my boy at all and walks out. Tirty minutes after that a nurse comes in, puts a drip in his arm and gives him an injection through the drip. Another 30 minutes later they take 7 xrays and the radiologist and the sports medicine doctor that was on the field with my boy are looking at the xrays. They say that shoulder is in place, no tendon or ligament damage and for us to go back to exam room and they will discharge us.<br /><br />Back in exam room another doctor that we hadn't seen comes in and starts saying we'll be kept over night for some type proceedure. I ask if he's looked at the xrays and he tells me no. I tell him to go confer with the other two doc's that had just told us we would be discharged. While this chap was gone ANOTHER doctor comes in starts groping on my boy, pulling and twisting on his arm and says he doesn't believe that his shoulder is out of place but needs to be xrayed to be sure. I tell him that theres been 7 xrays taken and that we were waiting on the release forms so we could leave. This doctor leaves and another NEW doctor comes in and does the same as this last guy and then whips out a perscription pad, writes a scrip for 500mg Loratab for him and tells us that he feels his shoulder isnt out of place and walks out!!!!!!<br /><br />Thats 6 different physicians thats looked at my boy and only two were on the same page. About 20 minutes after this last chap left the sports medicine doctor comes in with a release form and tells us we can go. I ask him if its ok for us to leave with a drip in my boys arm. He says "OH, I'll have a nurse come take that out." 45 minutes later the drip is out and we're leaving.<br /><br />I asked the nurse if its always that way there and she says "Thats a quiet and slow night." <br /><br />Lord help someone that goes in there when they're busy!!<br /><br />Just my litte rant on hospital E/R's. Makes ya wonder don't it!!!!

sangerwaker

Commander
Re: Goat Rodeo at Hospital E/R

If you're not near death, plan on things taking forever at the ER. That has been my experience, anyway. About four hours for what should take about 1/2 hour. I must say, I haven't seen the disorganization like you mention. Most of the time things seem pretty organized, just painfully slow.<br /><br />Been there on the shoulder injury. Tell your son to make sure to exercise it frequently, especially if it is sore or hurts. I have seperated mine four times. Hurts like a SOB. Glad to hear he is OK though.

aspeck

Staff member

Back in HS days played the same position as your boy and had the same thing happen - only I popped it in myself and kept my mouth shut. Next week it popped again. Same thing - just kept getting easier to pop out and in. About 10 years later I couldn't roll over in bed without it popping out. Surgery fixed it up (for about 15 years). Now there is almost constant pain.<br /><br />Moral - make sure he listens to the trainer and lets the arm heal before he starts practicing. Life can be miserable with a wing that flops!

Bob in Calif.

Senior Chief Petty Officer

An older friend of mine slipped on some gravel a couple of days ago and landed on his left hand and wrist. Within a few minutes his wrist and base of his thumb was quite swollen and the same area was truning black and blue.<br /><br />He went to K....er Hospital to have it checked, along with x-rays. They didn't give him a brace, nor even wrap the area. When he was done with the proceedures, he was told to go home and they would notify him in "a few days" if his wrist or thumb was broken. Nice place eh?....... :eek: <br /><br />...Bob in Calif...

KaGee

Admiral

On a positive note, your son came out with all the same body parts he went in with.<br /><br />I just heard on radio that some hospitals are now requiring surgery patients while in pre-op to mark with a marker, the area where the surgery is to take place. Like, I R-E-A-L-L-Y :rolleyes: want to go to one of those ... know what I mean?

gaugeguy

Captain

I have nothing bad to say about our hospital ER, I have never had to wait more than 10 minutes to be seen...then again my brother is supervisor of ER admissions ;)

ehenry

Commander

The hospital we went to was the University of Mississippi Medical Center. A teaching hospital.<br /><br /><br />My shoulder is a work in progress most of the time too, Aspeck. You can rest assured that he'll pay attention to what the trainer tells him to do. I would've thought they would have given him some sort of sling or something there at the hospital for support but they didn't. <br /><br />Hopefully when he see's the trainer today he'll get some good news. I told him to be ready for it cause that trainer was going to put his arm through all the motions and it was probably going to hurt like the devil.

jinx

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Now you'll start getting bill from doctors all over the U.S., most of whom you've never heard of.<br /><br />I have one son that regularly visist the ER.<br /><br />Jinx

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Wait till you get billed for all 6 doctors. :) <br /><br />Lesson learned long ago: NEVER go to an emergency room on a Friday or Saturday night. If it can wait till Monday am, wait.<br /><br />I would have pulled the dang hose from my arm and been gone.

oddjob

Commander

Thats very interesting, now what about the battle in the hallway with the gurneys. :D

LadyFish

Admiral

Sorry to hear about your son EF.<br /><br />As far as the emergency room, we have a "teaching" Hospital here also, and although the diagnosis and treatment are fine, they need to let the right hand know what the left hand is doing. Its always like a stirred up ant hill, and if its not a life threatening emergency the average wait is around 14 hours.<br /><br />Good luck to your son and hopefully he won't be on the DL too long.

Butch Ammon

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wow... Glad you son is okay and got out of the ER without any troubles.<br /><br />You all are probably going to hate me for this, but back in the late 60's and 70's, I was alwasy first in line at the ER. Trust me... I was a nutcase when I was little. I did all sorts of stupid stuff for kicks and have the scars to show for it. :rolleyes: How did I get rushed in all the time? Well, my dad was asst chief of the volunteer fire department and rescue squad. My oldest sister (10 years older than me) was one of the nurses in the ICU and ER.<br /><br />Butch A.

Drowned Rat

Captain

This doctor writes a scrip for Lortab 500mg.
WOW! It's a good thing you didn't get that filled and give it to your boy. That's 100 times the regular dose.

ehenry

Commander

The scrip may have been 50mg. I dont really remember but we did get it filled and he's taken a couple of them. He said they didnt help very much. DrownedRat, you a pharmacist?

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant

I bet he just stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night. That's all.<br /><br />AK Chappy

KaGee

Admiral

Originally posted by AKFishingNut:<br /> I bet he just stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night. That's all.<br /><br />AK Chappy
ROFLMAO!!! :D