GM INVITES AMERICA TO BE PART OF THE “GM FAMILY”

aspeck

Staff member
Re: GM INVITES AMERICA TO BE PART OF THE “GM FAMILY”

Sounds like a great deal on a great product to me! May convince me to buy that Envoy for the wife a little sooner than we had planned. I will be getting back to the USA next weekend and will have to look into this.<br /><br />I will only own GM vehicles (except here in Ghana - can't find parts and too expensive).

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

I like to buy american vehicles for a variety of reasons, but you can't deny that the imports are a better buy. The resale value of almost all are better than the american vehicles, and they run more reliabily, and I have yet to find a domestic car with the fit and finish of any honda. <br /><br />The program is a deal. If you are looking for a new vehicle than this is as good a deal as has been offered in some time. I hope this will help create some momentum for the laging sales of new vehicles for the workers in all the plants. GM could take a few lessons in customer service as many of my previous GM products which suffered from fit and finish defects, forced me to pay the difference between a domestic to an import to make it right. They were very good at finding exceptions to their responsibilities. I still like their products but they are on their last strike with me. One more shot and that is it. FYI these were simple issue that should have been caught be a good worker on the line. Quality is a bottom up initiative. I put most of my past issues on the assemblers and not the engineers.<br /><br />Note to GM. You lost a sale to Ford over this exact excuse policy towards your resposibilities.

gonfishn

Commander

Six months ago I bought a 2005 TrailBlazer XL from the same dealer i Bought my last three from..<br />They are fifty miles from me..Anytime I have a problem they bring a loaner out to me and take mine back for servicing..<br /><br />Customer service is what keeps me coming back..To me its not a problem unless they cant fix it..Dont care what car your sleeping with they all have their problems..The key is do they take care of you when you have problems..<br /><br />I went a little overboard on this new one of mine but i got the extended warranty which has paid off in the past considering I put over 100K onem before i trade them..<br /><br />All models have their own problems..I stay with GM cause of the dealership and how they are always their when I need them.. I got no family deal when i got mine..Paid 42Grand but got all the bells and whistles they had to go with it..<br /><br />I talk to my mirror alot these days :D Anytime i want to make a call i hit the mirror button and a computer dials my number for me..If I need directions I push another button and they put me where i need to go..Now if they could only put me some good fishn spots life would be complete..

HeadnSouth

Seaman

Not sure how many checked out this link http://jupiter.walagata.com/w/toadfish/Facts_about_GM.ppt <br />But GM's percieved reliability is just that. GM, Chrysler and Ford have come a long way since the 70's crap that was pushed out the door.<br /><br />Does Gm still have more work to do? Yes, as in any manufacturing job its a constant battle. Not sure how many have ever been to a automobile manufacturing plant but its amazing. The plant I work at produces just over 1000 vehicles a day. :eek: These aren't toasters we build but complex machines that are a very big part of our lives.<br />And please don't blame this on the UAW workers, we don't design it just put it together. :) <br /><br />Just to give an idea of the savings based on my 2003 Sierra 1500 SLE which listed for over 30K and paid 21K. 4.5% interest :)

Realgun

Commander

The issue we are having is the UAW. They can ask and have recieved way to many benefits and thats causeing the price of the domestics way to high IMHO. The Imports that build here are paying the same wages but the benefits are more in line with the mainstream people. <br /><br />The other issue is the domestics are not putting out the cars they should. They build a good truck but the imports are actually getting it better (Titan) Hondas got it all wrong that Ridgeline is seriouly ugly! But it will get the milage you want and probably pull that 4000 Lbs of boat they claim. All in comfort. Just ugly though have I mentioned that?<br /><br />I was looking at a small car to buy like a Focus and /or Cobalt and they are just over priced and lacking of the small things the Honda Civic or Toyota Corolla have. The price is slightly lower now. And without a rebate.<br /><br />I am a consumer I could really care lees who builds my car. All I want is cheap and lots stuff and great reliability. If Walmart sold a car it would probably be a Honda or Toyota. Sorry Folks but it really is true.<br /><br /><br />BTW I have an F-150 Supercrew and the wifes got a KIA Sedona EX minivan. We owned a Ford Festiva for 11 years. Only thing ever done was a head gasket at 65,000 miles. So we know Kia. (Ford imported the Festiva from KIA in 1988 and sent the Same car to Japan as the Mazda 121)<br /><br />I am not going to be part of the family sorry GM.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Well it has certainly stepped up activity at the Chevrolet Dealership where I work.<br /><br />It's not a gimmick. It is the exact price I would pay as an employee.<br /><br />GM is not for everyone and some people have strict loyalty. I hear all the comments daily and just let people make their own decisions.....it's not rocket science.<br /><br />Bob

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

US car giant GM plans to cut some 25,000 jobs in the US as it tries to recover from recent heavy losses :(

HeadnSouth

Seaman

Originally posted by Elmer Fudge:<br /> US car giant GM plans to cut some 25,000 jobs in the US as it tries to recover from recent heavy losses :(
Unfortunatly the big boys will prolly get a BIG bonus, the little guy takes in the A**. :mad: <br /><br />I've already relocated once with GM. If my plant closes prolly won't be another plant to go to.<br /> :(

eltonh20

Cadet

Originally posted by HeadnSouth:<br /> GM INVITES AMERICA TO BE PART OF THE “GM FAMILY” . . . For the first time in its history, GM is offering its employee discount to everyone who takes delivery of a new 2005 GM car or truck beginning today, June 1, and running through July 5, 2005. With the “GM Employee Discount for Everyone,” prices are prominently displayed on eligible vehicles at participating GM dealerships. Consumers also can confirm the price of a specific vehicle by entering the vehicle’s VIN number at http://www.gmbuypower.com. The program includes all 2005 GM cars and trucks, except for the Chevrolet Corvette, and is compatible with most other incentives currently available. “Our employees are extremely proud of the company they work for and the products they build,” said Brent Dewar, GM North America vice president of Marketing and Advertising. “In recent months there has been plenty of news about GM, but not enough said about our industry leading product lineup. We want to bring the focus back to what drives our business – great cars and trucks. This program gives everybody a chance to drive the vehicles that we drive and pay the price that we pay.” The “GM Employee Discount for Everyone” will be supported by significant broadcast, print and online media featuring GM employees. Advertising will begin on June 3.<br />As a GM employee this is a helluva deal if your in the market for a new vehicle. :D

aspeck

Staff member

Just checked out an Envoy - $26,900. It is a GREAT deal. Now all I have to do is convince myself that I really ought to take the plunge, but the 1991 Bonneville with 35,400 miles is just too good of a car to replace yet. Oh the indecision!

ufm82

Master Chief Petty Officer

It's a sign that GM knows they are in trouble. <br /><br /> As someone in the sales arena, I can tell you that the very last thing that a company wants to do is sell its product on price alone. if you can't bring in a few more bucks due to quality, service or value, you focus on a cheap price. I sell the best skid loader available on the market and am routinely higher priced than my competition, yet we have a 55% market share in our area and a 49% share nationwide. Why? We offer quality, excellent support after the sale and a top resell value. Nobody else comes close. <br /><br /> GM has frittered away their reputation and now is in the same class as Kia and Hyundai- vehicles that appeal to people because they are CHEAP- not because they are good. They have managed to take an otherwise good company and devote entirely too much of their money to non-productive activities. Their health care is almost half of their operating expense! They spend as much taking care of their retirees as they do making cars!!! That's just ridiculous. <br /><br /> And guess what- the guy that has spent 20 years in a suit managing thousands of people trying to keep the company running is worth a lot more than the guy in a uniform that shows up 75% of the time to put a shock absorber on a car. His reward is obviously higher in the end. <br /><br /> You can buy a Lund or a Tracker- both do the same thing but the quality and value are very, very different. <br /><br />UFM82

D

DJ

I can tell you that the very last thing that a company wants to do is sell its product on price alone.
I agree.<br /><br />
Why? We offer quality, excellent support after the sale and a top resell value. Nobody else comes close. <br />
I also agree with one difference. A piece of equipment, such as you sell, is a product made to do a job. In other words, it is a "revenue generator". Any smart business man will pay more for something that works.<br /><br />Car/trucks, on the other hand, are somewhat different. Americans have lost their love affair with the automobile. Autos are seen, by most, as nothing more exciting than a toaster. Sort of a necessity, but not really wanted. <br /><br />So, in that arena, CHEAP is all that is wanted.<br /><br />Mature US owned companies are finding it hard to compete with imports and implants that have very little, if any, of the legacy costs (retirements, health care) that the older companies have.<br /><br />Who's to blame for that? The US worker. Always demanding more with no sense of the "pay up" time coming down the road. I am guilty too.

NYMINUTE

Captain

Now GM wants the UAW personnel to pay out more for their health care! They have a contract through 07, maybe 06. If the Union rolls for this we can all expect to pay a higher percentage of the total premiums. Every company in America will increase their revenue via the employees taking on the expense. Look Out.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

Have close family been getting that deal for years. Had it offered to me several times in the past. Just could not bring myself to drive a chebby. <br /><br /> As for as the "American Gas Guzzlers" they produce, if no one bought them do you think they would continue to produce them. Look at the trend in imports, increased body sizes, full sizes pickups, SUV's all on larger platforms. The auto makers are only playing to the American market. <br /><br />And how about Toyota announcing an across the board price increase in the US market in order to bring their new car prices “more in line.” How many years have the Big Three been complaining about unfair import tariffs and the price advantage it gives the Japanese manufactures. <br /><br />Yes GM has problems, and if they feel the need to dump inventory to generate sales all the better for the new car buyers. BTW does any one really know how much GM makes on the average car sale?

JRJ

Commander

While my Toyota was being serviced, I walked next door to look at Chevy trucks. The prices are down for sure. Trade prices are also down. I wonder how the people feel that payed $30 to $45,000 for their new rigs before this promotion.

D

DJ

Now GM wants the UAW personnel to pay out more for their health care! They have a contract through 07, maybe 06. If the Union rolls for this we can all expect to pay a higher percentage of the total premiums. Every company in America will increase their revenue via the employees taking on the expense. Look Out.<br />
That's the whole problem. The health care costs are killing them. Their competition does not have those expenses.