GM 165 Inline 6 vs. Inline 4 Balancer Pulley

WOEISMEIGOTTA470

Petty Officer 1st Class
Need the guru's on here to help me out with this one...

So I tried searching around and couldn't come up with anything for an answer. Does anyone know if I can use a 4 cylinder harmonic balancer with my 165 I6? Have they or do they still make any 4 cyl balancers in a neutral balance?

Reason being is the current balancer on my motor looks to be a regular automotive twin groove pulley and seems awfully close to interfering with the Mercruiser front engine mount assembly (too wide). I'd like to get a single groove version if possible since I don't need the additional groove. I was looking on various automotive sites and it looks like they have "slimmer" versions of a twin groove pulley but it's too hard to tell or know for sure.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: GM 165 Inline 6 vs. Inline 4 Balancer Pulley

They are two completely different kinds of engines. No they won't work.

The 4 cylinder is not a balancer, just a pulley with magnets in it.

WOEISMEIGOTTA470

Petty Officer 1st Class

WOEISMEIGOTTA470

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Don, I guess I just needed to look just a little harder / longer :)

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

the 470 is Ford and Mercruiser engine parts, the 6 cylinder is Chevrolet. Nothing will come close to fitting.

WOEISMEIGOTTA470

Petty Officer 1st Class

the 470 is Ford and Mercruiser engine parts, the 6 cylinder is Chevrolet. Nothing will come close to fitting.

Oh that I know, no I was talking about the GM 4 cylinders...the 2.5L, 3.0L etc... I know the 470's are a completely different animal, an animal that I know to keep my distance from, heheheh.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

maybe remove the signature that says you have a 470 then becaus e that's the only refernce to a model or anything in your post.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

depends on what year the 3.0 is - after 1989 forget it
but pre 1pc rear main, yes.
OMC books are the place to go, because OMC just uses the GM numbers for chev based engine parts
from a 1986 OMC 3.0 parts listing:
"3826280 DAMPER Crankshaft pulley. Order parts from your local Chevrolet dealer"
and that's the same balancer as a inline 6 chevy 250 car engine, not sure about the marine one.

http://www.gmpartsgiant.com/parts/gm-damper-3826280.html
$107 new don't bother with used

Last edited:

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I didn't even realize the pictures were in your signature in your original post. Looked like you posted a 4 cyl 165 and a L6 by the pictures and that's what I went by. Then since the pictures were in your next replies as well did I see they were in your sig.

Why not take them out completely, just clutters and confuses things, especially in this forum.

WOEISMEIGOTTA470

Petty Officer 1st Class

maybe remove the signature that says you have a 470 then becaus e that's the only refernce to a model or anything in your post.

My bad...sorry for the confusion. I'll try to be more specific next time. My screen name can be confusing as well, since I traded the 470(ford/merc) for a 165(GM).
I'm weird. And sometimes I ask weird questions and have strange ideas...but that's half the fun!

WOEISMEIGOTTA470

Petty Officer 1st Class

Why not take them out completely, just clutters and confuses things, especially in this forum.
/\/\
I'll take you up on this advice. Besides I have a better more recent photo to put up!
Thanks guys.