Gluvit?

Sparkler

Seaman Apprentice
I am a green pea when it comes to boat ownership. I just resurrected a 1958 Evinrude Sportwin Ten and it runs like a top. My question is concerning Gluvit. I just read about it online and am looking for feedback from anyone who may have used it. Is it as good as their website claims? Inside or ouside? Preparation? Any info is appreciated. I want to make sure my money is going to be well spent. My boat is a 12' riveted Sea King 1964 vintage. I takes on a small amount of water in 3 to 4 hours...maybe a quart. Thanks in advance.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Gluvit?

Ayuh,.... Gluvit is a tinboater's Best Friend...;)

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Used it on quite a few aluminum boats myself. Great stuff worth every penny.

Moving to resto forum.

APPALOOSA2

Petty Officer 1st Class

Great stuff use per instructions on the inside so it flows into the affected areas that you apply it to.
Best money spent !

Sparkler

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks a bunch! You have convinced me to spend some money.

Huron Angler

Admiral

Did you guys all apply the gluvit to the inside only?

My issue is that I've already sprayed some bedliner material on the inside(got a little ahead of myself) so at this point I'm going to throw some gluvit on the exterior hull. She's only bleeding a trickle in from a couple of rivets.

After re-bucking(thanks again Bob) the problem rivets I should be all set to put the gluvit on. I'm hoping to get a good seal on the outside but if need be I will strip the bedliner back off and put an inside coat on as well.

Also how many coats are recommended? I will follow the instructions...just curious what worked for you folks. Thanks.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

It can be applied on the outside under the hull. The only part is that it needs to be bottom side up when you apply it. (Flip the hull) It will dry sort of an amber color.

Now if you already did all that work..... try this to save some money. Get a small tube of 3m5200 (which dries white) and put a smaer coat of that on the few rivets and you should be fine. It's cheap and can be re-done if needed.... it takes a good 24 hrs to dry properly.

I am not picking on you but the bedliner is really not great against the hull but works well on the decking. Live and learn

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... Personally, I wouldn't use Gluvit on the Outside, unless it's painted over after...
It's an Epoxy based product,+ Epoxy really doesn't like Sunlight....